Most influential death of the twentieth century

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
What was the most influential death in the 20th century? I'll start off the debate with JFK. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,241 • Replies: 23
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:28 pm
Colonel Sanders.....

OK OK I'm thinkin'
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
MLK? Hitler?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
My own, but you won't realize it for at least 200 years <shotgun blast>

I was actually thinking the death of democracy, but that's not technically a person.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:46 pm
Ziggy Stardust
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:00 pm
Albert Einstein.
Ghandi.
Mother Teresa.
The Beatles.
Communism.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:04 pm
Lots of people changed the world during their lives, but their deaths were not earth-shaking. My nomination for most influential death goes to Archduke Francis Ferdinand, whose assassination triggered the first World War.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:54 am
The most influential death is the one that took from the world, the benefits which would have come from that life.

As such, the most influential death is probably some unknown child who simply never had the chance to build an influential life. And we simply don't know what we're missing.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:17 pm
I think MLK would be a very good candadate. When he was gunned down the Civil Rights Movement died - or atleast lost a TON of momentum.

I think if he would have lived longer - advances in civil rights and equality would have gone faster and been further than we are today.

TF
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:54 am
Princess Diana
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
Hmmm...let's see...Princess Di...or Mother Teresa...
Mother Teresa....or Princess Di?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:28 am
Perhaps the most influential for literature were those of Sylvia Plath or George Orwell.

For society in general? Martin Luther King, I felt.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:35 am
Having lived through the riots the summer of MLK's death, I'm not sure if the cause of Civil Rights was advanced or held back as you say. I know that MLK was adamantly against it.
"[R]ioting is not revolutionary but reactionary
because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis,
but it must be followed by a sense of futility." Martin Luther King, Jr.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:12 am
rosborne979 wrote:
The most influential death is the one that took from the world, the benefits which would have come from that life.

As such, the most influential death is probably some unknown child who simply never had the chance to build an influential life. And we simply don't know what we're missing.

Exactly. The kid who died at 2 years old in 1952 who would have been the researcher to discover the cure for cancer next year? The 23 year old who was hit by lightening in 1901 who was the guy that would have invented and marketed a hydrogen vehicle in 1918?

Who knows who we missed?..............
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:44 pm
I believe Terry has it. The most influential death (as opposed to life) was that of the Hapsburg Archduke Franz Ferdinand. His assasination at the hands of Serbian nationalists set off the fuse of WWI. This in turn led to the Russian Revolution, the destruction of the Ottoman Empire, the disastrous Treaty of Versailles, which set the stage for Hitler and the national resentments that led to WWII, and finally the crisis in the Islamic world with which we are dealing today.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:53 am
Definitely Franz Ferdinand.

That said, Rosborne's answer is more poetic, and beauty is more important than truth (at least to me), and i'm quite willing to ignore those stupid boring modern history lessons in order to support it, although i don't agree entirely. It's generally the most disadvantaged, who don't have access to necessary resources to achieve their potential who are most vulnerable to early death.

That said, I am really, really tired, locked out of my house and watching though a psychology lecture at one thirty in the morning. So don't take these messages too seriously, and if my messages sound like i am half asleep, it's because i am (sob).
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
Its interesting that in placing beauty above truth, that you could justify the beautiful lies on which Communism is built. The awful truth of it's repression and coercion that resulted in the sloughier of millions counts for nothing when compared to that beautiful ideal, "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs". Beauty often masks nightmare.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:53 pm
Hehehehe but i'd never have let Stalin in. Not with that mustache. It goes completely against my concept of beauty Razz.

But (slightly more seriously) Many horrific crimes have been committed by overintellectuallising things ( social darwinism and the holocaust, for one) so I don't see how that's any better.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:54 pm
Hehehehe but i'd never have let Stalin in. Not with that mustache. It goes completely against my concept of beauty Razz.

But (slightly more seriously) Many horrific crimes have been committed by overintellectuallising things ( social darwinism and the holocaust, for one) so I don't see how that's any better.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:55 pm
Elvis Presley.
His death created an entire generation of people who think he is still alive. Because of this Pfizer created Prozac..... im positive!
Thats some powerful influence. hahahahaha!
0 Replies