Extradition: a 'safe' country

Razovy

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:07 pm
Someone living in my town commited a crime and fled the country. This made me think about extradition treaties. I know that most countries don't have any form of extradition treaty with my country, so there is plenty of choice.

However, it made me wonder what happens after you have fled the country you commited the crime in. Let's say I murdered someone in the country I currently live in. Now I know for a fact the police knows it's me, so I pack my bags and cross the border. I decide to go to Japan, since I know my country has no extradition treaty with Japan. Then what?

Will they let me in? Knowing fully well I commited murder in a different country? Will they send me back, or not accept me as a citizen and make me look elsewhere?

My question is: Will the country I flee to let me in and eventually let me be a citizen? How would that proces go? Will I have a double passport, or just the one from Japan?

Thanks in advance,

Razovy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 782 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:53 pm
Most countries require you have a document called a "visa" before they will let you in. It is unlikely that any country will grant a visa to someone who is wanted by the police for a serious crime in their home country. They do check. In any case, you can't just pick a country and decide to go and live there, just because you feel like it.

0 Replies