It follow the best horrorfilm:

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:17 am
The Wicker Man made a public impression especially for the XXX dance of Britt Ekland which was pushing the boundaries of what was acceptable in mainstreet cinemas quite a bit. Consequently, it drew quite many cinemagoers. (Hey, I just realised I already posted this message in another thread Embarrassed )

I liked Britt, too bad she got married to Peter Sellers.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:15 am
FYI Here's a review & synopsis of The Power. It would undoubtedly be really tame today, but it gave me lasting jitters back in the '60's.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_comments.php?entryid=76330&journalid=61563
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:44 am
What constitutes "tame" today? Probably the absence of exploding heads and buildings blowing up, or, as in The Medusa Touch, an aeroplane flying into a building. Yet, to me the effect of The Power is more profound just because it treats the aspect of the superhuman with so much unspectacular realism. What really carries the film is that the protagonist doesn't realise until the very end that he is the intended target of the superhuman killer. And that the reason for it is that he himself has that power too, even though he is unaware of it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:18 am
I first saw "The Power" at a studio preview and liked the film -- of course, it was later offered again as a concept with Cronenberg's "Scanners," complete with an exploding head. I had read the novel "The Power" before I saw the film and it was conveyed almost intact.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
It never occured to me that "Scanners" was a rehash of "The Power", but by gosh I guess you're right. "Scanners" was really lousy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:15 am
Not one of my favorirtes, that's for sure, although I do like some Cronenberg films. "The Power" is extremely underrated.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:25 am
BTW, the novel was also adapted for TV by Studio One or Playhouse 90 and was under another title which I don't remember and haven't been able to locate on the Internet. Frank M. Robinson also wrote "The Glass Inferno" which became "The Towering Inferno."
0 Replies