I need help figuring out the signature of my Painting.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 09:02 am
@Onetallgentleman,
I gave that link in my post above.
Onetallgentleman

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 09:07 am
@Onetallgentleman,
I just sent an Email using Google Translate:

Dear Sabatier Antiquitäten,

I have a painting here in the United States, that has a Pink Tag with what I believe is:

Sabatier Antiquitäten
02-4995-116
DM 140.-
D-2810 Verden/Aller

It is a wonderful painting of the Mountains , River and a Small German Style Home.Is there anyway you can tell me more about my Paiting since, I have not been able to figure out the Artists Signature witch with scribed into the paint media inself.

P.S. Please Apologize for my Grammar since I'm using Google Translate.

Thank You so Much,

Daniel J. Malden
Baton Rouge,Louisiana
United States

Lieber Sabatier Antiquitäten,

Ich habe ein Gemälde hier in den Vereinigten Staaten, die eine rosa Tag hat mit dem, was ich glaube, ist:

Sabatier Antiquitäten
02-4995-116
DM 140.-
D-2810 Verden / Aller

Es ist ein wunderschönes Gemälde der Berge, Fluss und einem kleinen deutschen Stil Home.Is es irgendwie, das Sie mir mehr über meine Paiting sagen kann, da habe ich die Künstler Signature Hexe, um herauszufinden, nicht in der Lage gewesen, mit in die Farbe Medien inself beschrieben.

P. S. Bitte entschuldige mich für meine Grammatik, da ich bin mit Google Translate .

Ich danke dir sehr,

Daniel J. Malden
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vereinigte Staaten
Onetallgentleman

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 09:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Wow I did miss that , I need to remember about the Blue Type is a Web Link. Maybe it's my hint of ADD.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 11:45 am
See what heads put together can produce?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 11:51 am
@Onetallgentleman,
I have a hint of ADD too, according to my cousin, the one who is an ADD psychologist. I find, though, that it has been a positive matter for the most part, if I have it at all.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 11:55 am
@ossobuco,
It keeps me focused better on single tasks while allowing me to consider other approaches the normal overlook or blanket-ly write off.

Can't multi task well at all unless I can tie the different tasks together into a single operation.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 02:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I've been able to single task at length - hand drafting big pages of designs, usually with music on, little chats with workmates or just intense work by myself. You should see me clean the house though - long have I done some rearranging in one room, which quickly sends me to another, and gives me another idea, which I may or may not write down (I do that more lately). My last studio that I painted in (as opposed to this one, where I need some more expensive medium and a better way to circulate air so in a long rest phase) was in the breakfast nook in my then old house (good fresh air for an oil painter). Taking breaks to go to the computer, blah blah.

That's how I cook too. I basically cook all the time, and take a lot of computer breaks. I have no idea if this is ADD - sort of doubt it is the real thing, given it's real in the first place.. Think it's just me enjoying myself.
0 Replies

Onetallgentleman

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 04:51 am
@Onetallgentleman,
UPDATE:
I have been in email contact with the current Gallery that merged with the Gallery that originally sold my Painting: They have been very busy and have only told me it isn't valuable enough to restore. Nothing about the Signature/Painter or age or anything about the subject matter.I sent another email stating that any information that they could give me would be great.

Hopefully my next update will be with better news.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 06:32 am
@Onetallgentleman,
That's good news and good information: it confirms value. Probably not worth restoring paintings under a $1000 value. Conserving them or cleaning or re-varnishing can be.

That also means that at this time the the name of the artist may not be so important.

Thanks for updating and I'd like to know who it was.
0 Replies

Onetallgentleman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 01:59 am
@Onetallgentleman,
Is it possible this painting has anything to do with all the missing art stolen by the Nazi's?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 04:56 am
@Onetallgentleman,
Why did you get that idea?
Of course, you could look up those lists ... if you knew the painter, name of the painting, owners between 1933 and 1945, owners afterwards ...
Onetallgentleman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The Auction house that sold it can offer me no information on my painting , nothing. Not an idea on it's year Artist or anything.

Did all of the Art that the Nazi's stole have a stamp on the back?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:37 am
@Onetallgentleman,
Onetallgentleman wrote:
Did all of the Art that the Nazi's stole have a stamp on the back?
It was either bought (= paid the value), "bought" (paid under the value)or just really stolen (= taken away without money, confiscated ...)
A 'stamp' might have been or still is on some from a later owner, museum etc.

Not every piece of art in Germany between 1933 and 1945 was 'stolen' by the Nazis.
And in 1945 a lot of from private houses, castles, museum etc "disappaered" as well.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 04:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Leave alone the fact that this painting hasn't the value to make it worth stealing.
Onetallgentleman

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 12:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I have an offer of over a $1,000 if I can figure out the artist. I like the painting but, I need a little capitol for New Business.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 05:42 am
@Onetallgentleman,
The auction house should be able to give you the name. At the same time when the house says the piece isn't worth restoring, the name is unimportant. What are you offered unattributed?

Its not not as if, except for specifically your putative buyer, the name adds any value at all to the painting. There's better ways to collect autographs and much better ways to collect art.
Onetallgentleman

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:33 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't think the Auction house kept good records prior to the merger of two auction houses into the current one.
I have decided to keep it and have continued to buy reasonably priced Rural Landscape paintings(I have 7 now) , I even attribute my purchase of a 1880's Banjo to my collection. I even buy un-signed paintings that are good, I just wish that every time someone does a painting they signed every piece and write their name on the back in simple easy to read lettering.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 06:12 am
@Onetallgentleman,
Ay painting that is worth $1000 with a named artist is worth $1000 with an undecipherable name painted on it.

Names don't start affecting value until the painting itself is worth around $10,000 or so. There are no original pieces of art worth only $1000 where the value derives purely from the name on it unless its done by a non painter celebrity, say GW Bush or Winston Churchill. These kinds of painting (of which yours apparently is not) are basically valued as autographs more than art.

Its a shame the auction house didn't retain any records of this sale, which is unusual. Auction records can be important to determining value of art.

Your piece may well be worth $1000 regardless of the painter's ID. All that takes is an appraisal. Which will cost around 10% of the appraisal value. And even then you may not find out the painter's name.
0 Replies

chirchri

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:20 pm
@Onetallgentleman,
personally,the signatures do not match...
0 Replies

Onetallgentleman

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 09:52 pm
@Onetallgentleman,
The offer I had before fell through, I found someone that is really interested in buying it now. I really like the painting, what should I tell them I want for it? In yalls opinions? Would it be considered a "Old Master" or like a "German School" painting? I Had planned and taking it to the antiques roadshow.
0 Replies