Would you pay $50 to watch newly released movies at home?

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:50 am
Quote:
Because a bunch of big Hollywood names are reportedly backing Sean Parker’s “Screening Room,” a project to let you buy movies at home the day they are released in theaters.

According to Variety, Parker’s new nightmare venture is being backed by Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Martin Scorsese, Taylor Hackford, Frank Marshall, and J.J. Abrams. The idea is that each movie will cost $50, with up to $20 going to theaters. Customers also get two free movie tickets with the purchase....

Hollywood's Richest Directors Think $50 for a Movie Is Totally Reasonable

engineer

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:52 am
@tsarstepan,
No. My popcorn is better but my screen, sound system and experience is worse so why would I pay more.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:55 am
@engineer,
I guess it's in the spirit of drivethru cinemas. There's one price for one car, no matter how many people are crammed inside. If you have 4 or 5 people in your living room, that's $10 to $12 per person. That math wouldn't work for me because I most likely won't have that many people to host a movie screening at home. I'll stick with the actual movie theater as well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I maybe would. We have a nice set up to watch movies.

If all three of us go to the movie it'll cost us $50 anyway.

I'd want to see the blockbusters at the cinema though.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, I wouldn't do it, and I don't think many others would either.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:25 pm
@rosborne979,
I'm pretty sure it's going to flop big time.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree. I might pay $5 for a new release to see at home, but that's about it.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:52 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I agree. I might pay $5 for a new release to see at home, but that's about it.

But on the other hand, that's never going to happen. The theaters would burn down the movie studios if they charged that little for newly released movies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:58 pm
a bunch of us were talking about movie prices last night

since fewer people seem to be going out to movies now, theatres are coming up with all kinds of gimmicks - from the posh recliners with seat service to ultra-cheap movie houses (which run new releases)

not sure how charging $50 to watch new releases will make people happy

(in any case, I see new releases being sold on DVD in Chinatown before they're in theatres here - former colleagues say some are good quality - I guess for $3 - 5 , it's worth taking a chance)
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:11 pm
@ehBeth,

Id say that most movie making would further make the mover to Canada as the new Hollywood. Charging 50$ would be a negative because if it becomes a party starter, one could fit 5 or more couples to watch a larger SHD movie.

I wonder what is the ratio of people who MUST see a first showing v those who wait for a DVD or streaming.
I was amazed at how weve taken to eschewing first runs to waiting for Netflix streaming.

Maybe our ages have tempered the " we must have it now" urge.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:48 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

(in any case, I see new releases being sold on DVD in Chinatown before they're in theatres here - former colleagues say some are good quality - I guess for $3 - 5 , it's worth taking a chance)

I know my morality in this issue may be considered childish but that kind of transaction is akin to theft.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's not my gig, but bootleg movies have been around for generations. Nothing you or I do, or think, about it will disrupt that business.

It's just one factor in the industry.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 03:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
No I wouldn't -- I don't need instant gratification.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 03:58 pm
@Linkat,
We have a good size tv in the family room and bedroom, but I wouldn't pay $50 for the privilege of watching a movie at home. Going to the movies in a theater is part of the fun. Comfy chairs, a big screen, and a great sound system. I like to sit in some of the top rows where my eye level is at the middle of the screen. Besides, I always ask for senior tickets. I think I paid less than $13 for two senior tickets to see the Revenant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 06:21 pm
I don't watch new movies hardly at all. I wait until they are on TV or DVD.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 06:50 pm
The experience of real cinema is irreplaceable at home.
For those who might disagree or just want an alternative the idea is not bad...for starters one gets a bit more of fresh air at the cinema.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I was born and reared in Sacramento. While a teenager, Sacramento used to have about five movie theaters. I understand there's only one left that shows movies, the Crest, but they also have live shows there also. The Crest theater was where I took my first date. Her parents owned another theater in town called the Lincoln. I remember when Forest Tucker came for an opening for one of his movies. I took a picture of him, but that picture is now long gone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:18 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I was born and reared in Sacramento. There used to be about five theaters in Sacramento back in the early fifties, but I think there's only one left, The Crest.
http://www.crestsacramento.com
I took my first date to this theater to see a movie, and her parents used to own a theater in Sacramento called the Lincoln. Went to see Forrest Tucker when he had a premier there, and I took a picture of him. That picture is long gone.
Another memory from the good ole days.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 07:40 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

No I wouldn't -- I don't need instant gratification.

This.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 08:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Q's pop culture panel discussed this today.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for-wednesday-march-16-2016-1.3493449

the segment on this starts roughly 16 minutes in

the general view was that piracy will make the concept a fail

(today's teens can outhack a 30 year old's programming was the sort of bottom line)