Are Gods Judgments righteous?

Smileyrius

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:11 am
@kristihendricks,
kristihendricks wrote:

Can I ask-why are you questioning His judgments? What led you to do this?

When posing the question, I was not seeking a specific answer, I was provoking an intellectual spiritual conversation on a matter of interest. I have my own opinions on the matter based on my own perceptions and preconceived biases, but I like to gather insight into more angles on a subject than my own
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 6 May, 2016 09:08 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
The sword he brought was a division in society. By giving his followers a code of conduct, he set them apart from the general population making the world "hate them" John 15:19
Good clarification. It is not all society that would be changed and the sword cleaving it into parts was a good metaphor.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Fri 6 May, 2016 09:40 am
"God's" judgements are revealed as reality unfolds before our eyes...they are not righteous they are RIGHT.
(Not referring to bibles and books about what God is supposed to tell).
God is Truth, not guesses about truth.
Leadfoot

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:41 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That was a very long way to say "It is what it is!" :-)
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 07:09 am
@Smileyrius,
St Augustine says you either interpret the harder cases from the totally clear OR you are not taking the Bible's message in any sense.

So very clear is GOD IS LOVE
then you see the Flood and you ask, Was that from Love ?
I never had a problem with that. I don't think they all went to Hell. Heavens, that is a inexcusable interpretation. I think that letting the world just get more and more corrupt and violent would cause far greater problems

Would exterminating ISIS be cruel? Even to the members? NO.

Once you admit freedom and evil there is only How is it to be dealt with?
fresco

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:54 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Since a 'Just War' is one of the bastions of ISIS, it is a tautology that Augustine's contributions to 'Just War Theory' would negate any 'cruelty' arguments made by straight pacifists or those arguing for 'the sanctity of life'. That 'GOD IS LOVE' ploy is merely a catch-all clause used to repel dissenters. Indeed that ploy, coupled perhaps with 'GOD MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS' is obviously all you need to justify any morality claim you might wish to make on the assumption of an Augustinian divinity concept.
AugustineBrother

Tue 5 Jul, 2016 01:47 pm
@Smileyrius,
Since your whole view of God and righteousness depend on the honesty of Biblical reporting you have no choice but to vigorously affirm that they are righteous. Else you pick and choose what to believe.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Tue 5 Jul, 2016 01:48 pm
@Smileyrius,
The God of Love is very simply and often stated. St Augustine says interpret the difficult and equivocal by the simple and obvious.

farmerman

Tue 5 Jul, 2016 02:03 pm
@AugustineBrother,
making sure, all the while, that you generate revenue for your guys story and his priesthood.
What a life, be a priest. Diddle the little children, live like a libertine. Make believe youre an emissary to something supernatural.

AugustineBrother

Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:11 am
@farmerman,
You did it again, so either you are mindless or you think you are funny.

If we can't be sure of the obvious and we build our case on the difficult, we are being stupid.

I've known probably about 200 priests or seminarians in my life and overwhelmingly they are good and ordinary folk.
You, however, seem to be rather perverted, all that mentioning of children and sex. You never mention anything else except sex. Readers, take note.
farmerman

Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:14 pm
@AugustineBrother,
trying to make your minions just forgive and forget according to Diocesan rules?

Im neither mindless nor a comedian. Im dead serious about the Catholic "priesthood" nd its purpose and example to the laity.

If you wish to ignore all that, then you are the deluded softhead that you sound like.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:35 am
@Smileyrius,
If other Scriptures that are difficult actually do contradict "God is Love" a most direct and hard-to-misinterpret Scripture then you can't say one way or the other. But if we interpret the harder by the simpler then, yes, they are righteous.

What puzzles me is your security that all your judgments are righteous.
Leadfoot

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:24 am
@fresco,
Quote:
'GOD IS LOVE' ploy is merely a catch-all clause used to repel dissenters. Indeed that ploy, coupled perhaps with 'GOD MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS' is obviously all you need to justify any morality claim you might wish to make on the assumption of an Augustinian divinity concept.

I don't see anyone trying to justify God with the 'mysterious ways' ploy so that looks like a straw man to me.

As for 'God is Love', what other criteria would you have a believer use when viewing his judgements?
Smileyrius

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 01:23 pm
@AugustineBrother,
My judgments are unlikely to be righteous for the most part. I am imperfect, I am a slave to sin as my brother's are, my job is merely to do the very best I can to identify what is righteous and strive for it.

I do not always achieve it, but I'm ok with that, and I believe the God I devote myself to would be happy with my efforts.

You comment on interpreting the harder by the simpler, I very much accept and agree with that sentiment. Nicely put
0 Replies

Thomas33

Tue 26 Jul, 2016 06:26 pm
Is God right to want mammals to exist? Because if mammals represent progress then I think God is wrong.
0 Replies

fresco

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Sorry, I missed that 'straw man' rejoinder. If you read the Bro's posting history you will recognize that this is one of his major fallback positionswhich originates in the teachings of Augustine. All of his threads are related to that theme even if not explicitly stated.

But you right, the only 'case' a believer could logically have is one concerning the origins of 'morality and compassion'. But as I stated previously, those origins can be 'accounted for' by aspects of evolutionary theory, which might be an intellectual subtext transcendent of the scientifically ludicrous stance Creationists take to the mechanisms of that theory.
Leadfoot

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 07:10 am
@fresco,
Quote:
the origins of 'morality and compassion'. But as I stated previously, those origins can be 'accounted for' by aspects of evolutionary theory,

Glad you put that in quotes because that utilitarian interpretation boils down to recognizing the value of cooperative effort, not anything to do with morality or compassion.

In that case, the ants and bees are the highest achievements of evolution and we are just messy anomalies with our pointless wars and petty emotions.
fresco

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:32 am
@Leadfoot,
I am talking about gene survival/species survival, not individual or group survival.
Leadfoot

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 04:28 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
I am talking about gene survival/species survival, not individual or group survival.

Oh. Ok, but my thing is people, not genes.
But I'll pass that along to the next interested gene I run into in case it helps them understand God's judgements.
AugustineBrother

Mon 8 Aug, 2016 01:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
But the better behavior of lesser beings does not translate to a higher acheivement. Which is why the medieval people had that motto :

corruptio optimi pessima
the corruption of the best is the worst of all

Man is still the best, corruption and all.
0 Replies