Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:36 am
@InfraBlue,
Well said!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 02:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The dog in this hunt is rejection of these proselytized beliefs.

Ah, clarity at last, thank you.
InfraBlue

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
You're welcome.
Amoh5

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 07:11 am
@InfraBlue,
This condemnation interpretation of God you are fixated on is only but an interpretation, or in a scientific sense a hypothetical theory, but I see as an atheist you want to use it as some religious fact to discredit anyone's belief in God.
You remind me of an atheist fundamentalist trying to convince me that you're right using misconceived archaic interpretations of God...
Leadfoot

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 07:35 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Rejection of others' dogs is not a dog. I'd still like to see your dog.
InfraBlue

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:29 am
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

This condemnation interpretation of God you are fixated on is only but an interpretation, or in a scientific sense a hypothetical theory, but I see as an atheist you want to use it as some religious fact to discredit anyone's belief in God.
You remind me of an atheist fundamentalist trying to convince me that you're right using misconceived archaic interpretations of God...

That is, however, other peoples' conception of God. Those are the theologies of many Christian religions.

That is what I am addressing.

So, that's not your idea of God. Understood.
InfraBlue

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:30 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Rejection of others' dogs is not a dog. I'd still like to see your dog.

The rejection of these beliefs and the reasons thereof are my dog in the hunt.
Leadfoot

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 01:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The rejection of these beliefs and the reasons thereof are my dog in the hunt.
OK, but That dog won't hunt..
InfraBlue

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 02:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
Mkay.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 06:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
You are correct, a lot of so-called Christians like going backwards to the unforgiving barbaric interpretations of The Old Testament, which really annoys me as a Christian because true Christians should only focus on The New Testament of Lord Jesus Christ(Christian meaning from Christ).
The bible does have an evolutionary model on the interpretations of God where Lord Jesus becomes the ultimate interpreter on understanding God.
To cut a long story short, the interpretation of God from The Old Testament was unforgiving and hateful.
The interpretation of God from The New Testament of Lord Jesus is forgiving and loving. A lot different from the old understanding of God I would say...
Smileyrius

Wed 6 Apr, 2016 05:45 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
the interpretation of God from The Old Testament was unforgiving and hateful.

My friend, you appear to have made the assumption that because you have been unable to reconcile the Hebrew scriptures with the Greek texts, that they are unreconcileable. Your appraisal is quite the condemnation not only of those that use the Hebrew scriptures, but if the God of the old testament is portrayed accurately, you are also condemning him. Is this not unwise in the event that your own perception is not accurate?
Quote:
true Christians should only focus on The New Testament of Lord Jesus Christ

Pauls view was shared with Timothy, keep in mind that Timothy as a child would was reared by a devout Jewish turned Christian mother and Grandmother
Quote:
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Were the first century Christians not true Christians? are the 5000+ references, allusions and quotes from the Hebrew scriptures made by New testament writers all errors and lies ?
I fully endorse that the works and ministry of Jesus should be foremost of all Christian priorities yes, but you here condemn anyone who believes and studies all scripture as "inspired" and more than just a corruptable interpretation of events.
If Jesus himself did not condemn the scriptures as "heresies" against his father, why do you?
Please take no offence Amoh chap, none is intended, I always prefer a two way discussion
Amoh5

Wed 6 Apr, 2016 08:31 am
@Smileyrius,
I'm not offended at all my friend, skeptical inquiry is a logical process. I'm only comparing the old understanding of God from the Old Testament, to the new understanding of God from Lord Jesus. I should have used the word "harsh" rather than "hateful."
Like I said, I do see the Old and New Testament of Lord Jesus as an evolutionary process for understanding God. Lord Jesus to me is the new age and ultimate understanding of God. When some people go back to the Old Testament they pick up old ideals of being unforgiving and harsh(or hateful)
For example, when the woman was going to be stoned according to the unforgiving harsh old law, Lord Jesus steps in with forgiveness and love.
That's the tone that I am trying to explain. We do have to be careful when we venture out into other scriptures so that we don't forget the forgiveness and love of Lord Jesus. That's my view as a Christian...
0 Replies

kristihendricks

Mon 2 May, 2016 08:46 pm
@Smileyrius,
Can I ask-why are you questioning His judgments? What led you to do this?
fresco

Tue 3 May, 2016 12:47 am
@kristihendricks,
You keeping asking questions about what has 'led to' disbelief in a deity as though 'belief' were normal or natural. Given the diversity of human belief systems, and the atrocities committed in the name of those systems the assumption that religious belief is 'normal' is problematic at a global level. What has led you to your belief system is most likely to be an accident of birth and your subsequent conditioning. What has led dissenters to their position is the intelligence to understand that point, but also the understanding that many have a need for such psychological crutches. The need may be natural but the details of its satisfaction arbitrary.
Leadfoot

Tue 3 May, 2016 08:49 am
@fresco,
Thanks for cluing us in to our delusional state.
We've never heard anything like that before.
fresco

Tue 3 May, 2016 09:03 am
@Leadfoot,
No. You are not 'delusional' in the simplistic sense of your 'god' being 'unreal'.
Your self integrity and the 'reality' which sustains it are inseparable. The issue is whether a 'god' concept is functional ...a question which can be asked of any concept from 'rocks' to 'global warming'. I merely re-iterate the position that 'god' may be functional at a psychological level, but dysfunctional at a social level.
Leadfoot

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:57 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
The issue is whether a 'god' concept is functional ...a question which can be asked of any concept from 'rocks' to 'global warming'. I merely re-iterate the position that 'god' may be functional at a psychological level, but dysfunctional at a social level.
I noticed you subtlety shifted your terms. You start by stating 'functional' as your gold standard. Then you shift it to functional at the 'social' level.

I do not care if it complies with social norms. I'm a strictly 'form follows function' type and FWIW, I've found a higher function in God than I ever did in society.
fresco

Tue 3 May, 2016 11:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
You clearly don't understand that 'functionality' is always context bound. The particularly blunt analogy with religion is that opiates may be therapeutically or recreationally useful at the individual level, but such usage can be harmful at the societal level (as evidenced by historical events). Your elevation of the functionality of your personal God concept beyond that has been compared to the rationality of addicts. I recommend you research Derrida's concept of parergon(contextual framework) for a general handle on this aspect of semantics.
Leadfoot

Wed 4 May, 2016 06:20 am
@fresco,
Quote:
useful at the individual level, but such usage can be harmful at the societal level
As I already said, I'm OK with that.

As JC said, "I come not to bring peace, but a sword". He obviously thought society needed change.
Smileyrius

Fri 6 May, 2016 05:18 am
@Leadfoot,
The sword he brought was a division in society. By giving his followers a code of conduct, he set them apart from the general population making the world "hate them" John 15:19