Get ready for an Artificial Universe: No Man's Sky

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 11:30 am
We are about to enter a new age of Internet Gaming and Coding. This is a Sci-Fi exploration game where the system generates new worlds based on mathematical rules which are activated by the presence of the user within the Universe. The closet the user gets to an objective, the more detail the system generates on the objective, finally generating star systems, planets, moons, landscapes and eventually exo-plants and exo-animals.

Bear in mind that this is the first baby step into this type of game coding and that these types of systems will get much more complex and detailed over the years.

First release is currently scheduled for release later this summer.

Here's a discussion of how it works from the creator...

Home Page: http://www.no-mans-sky.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,253 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 11:57 am
@rosborne979,
Can't wait! Been waiting for this one since it was first rumored. Only other one looking forward to is GT7. Have both on preorder.

FPS games just don't do it for me.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 05:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
I feel the same. I don't like any FPS stuff. I love good adventure games, but mostly I like artistic graphics, so I'll be curious to see how much detail they can generate in No Man's Sky. I'm also curious to see how variable the worlds are that it creates. I'm interested in No Man's Sky more so as a new coding technique than I am as a Game. But I haven't played it yet, so maybe I'll change my mind after.

I'm not familiar with GT7.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 12:43 pm
@rosborne979,
I'm very attracted to artistic graphics too but lack much talent for it. Playing with several programs and the pen/stylus tool on the MS Surface Book I can see it is an incredible tool for art if I ever develop the skills to use it.

GT7 is a racing simulator game for motor heads. The graphics in the earlier version GT6 are incredible but you really don't have a chance to appreciate them in the game, have to be way too focused on the track racing line. No Man's Sky should not have that problem.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 12:53 pm
Not bad but Star Citizen is still my thing...got myself an Idris-M at SC n can't wait to go for a "Bastlestar Galactica" ride with my guild.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 06:56 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, it's out, and I love it. Been playing on our PS4 for almost a week now and am not bored yet. I love jetting/rocketing around to different planets and solar systems and landing on every planet to just to see what's on it. I've catalogued about 10 worlds so far (Planets and Moons) in about 3 solar systems. Seen some weird critters, found some beautiful worlds and some hell-holes. Got killed a few times. Sometimes by exposure to elements or toxic rain and other times by predators sneaking up on me. Got killed by space pirates trying to steal my minerals too, but once I learned how to work the ship's phase cannons properly they don't seem to be much of a problem any more.

I read a story in the news that said within the first 24hrs of the game's release, users had discovered and catalogued more virtual creatures than there are species on Earth.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 07:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Sounds fantastic. Can't wait to play, my copy is waiting back in FL :-(
0 Replies