Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:19 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're the loser, and a nasty snide one at that.

That's rich, coming from a hateful little weasel like you. Your response is predicated on your deep personal animosity toward me. That's the main reason you've shown up and commented. Sarah Brightman is a highly successful soprano, and financially, a multi-millionaire. I guarantee you she doesn't give a rat's ass what i, a complete stranger, may think of her. I think she's pretty damned hot--you're the one who says fat chicks should be ashamed, not me.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:02 pm
I sincerely hope that when the new changes come about for A2K, a small, fenced off section is created for the po-faced, holier-than-thou brigade who will insist on blustering into an obviously tongue-in-cheek thread (which in this case is equally obvious to anyone that it is in fact a tribute thread to the stars mentioned therein) and immediately sucking the life out, in the name of mock outrage.

I have no idea what that section may be called, but if I may I would possibly suggest something along the lines of "humour free zone", or "watch what you say, as we have the sort of mentality that will use it against you literally in order to really make you look bad, even though we know that it is obviously a humorous, tongue in cheek tribute".

I entered this thread with a light heart and a smile, as I immediately saw what Set was intending, and we both took up the reins with absolutely no malice at all.
In about six or seven posts, these wonderful singers were being introduced to anyone who cared to drop in, so that they could enjoy and maybe even expand their knowlege of such matters.

Honestly, hands up anyone who actually for one micro second thought that Set (and then I) had anything other than humour/tribute in mind in those opening posts.

We should have known that the humour traffic wardens were out there and waiting, and we should have stifled our efforts towards this thread in order to avoid conflict, but we didn't.

The wardens duly arrived and are impeccably outraged, and their high ground has been established, and it is duly noted how wonderfully fair minded they are. We thank them for their efforts to reach that high ground, and showing us flippant people what is right and what is wrong.

Personally, I feel deeply embarrassed that one, possibly two fellow countrymen.....Britons...... people who have had humour as a default since god knows when..... have come onto this obviously light hearted thread and tried to score points with the PC mock outrage tactic.
I usually let things go and avoid conflict, but when it gets to the point where English people start waving their frillies in the air in order to stifle harmless stuff and take a very silly outaged high ground, I have to have my say.

I have seen many threads and posts from Set, and know that he is anything but a mysogonist. The outraged brigade will no doubt have a blast back at me about this post, but they can go to hell quite honestly, because I know that Set started this thread with good heart.

All this mock outrage and consequent sniping in order to gain some sort of moral superiority makes me sick, and this is probably why most of our extremely funny, kind, supportive, inventive and witty members have left since the heyday of this site.

Anyone who came on here and read the first few posts must have had a total humour bypass if they seriously and honestly thought it was anything other than a quirky humoured tribute thread.

Or they have another agenda here, and possibly in life.

This has thoroughly pissed me off.
Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:23 pm

Up next . . . dead babies!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 01:07 pm
Fat chicks have been in style for tens of thousands of years . . .

https://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/371/flashcards/1160371/jpg/venus_of_wilendorf1333343361986.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 01:30 pm
My comments on this thread have nothing to do with your alleged sense of humour and everything to do with the nastiness of the subject. You’ve started other so called humour threads that consist of a load of puns. There’s nothing wrong with that, they may not be particularly funny but they’re not hurting anyone.
This thread is horrible, spiteful and demeaning to women, and deep down you know that. Differences aside, I think at heart you’re an essentially decent person, you tend to be on the side of the angels on most things.
You know as well as I do that women are shamed for their bodies in the Media all the time. Lena Zavaroni was one example, but there are hundreds of others. Do you want to add to their misery? That’s what this thread does, you’ve taken a load of healthy women whose bodies are fine and called them fat. None of them are fat, if they lost weight they’d be dangerously ill. You know that, and you’re better than this.
Remember this thread? http://able2know.org/topic/274841-1 It’s hard to believe that someone who could start a thread like that could also be responsible for this nasty one.
Now I’m going to collapse this thread and you can go off on one if you like, but you know I’m right.
Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 01:37 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Now I’m going to collapse this thread and you can go off on one if you like, but you know I’m right.

Oh yeah, you're always right, according to you.
Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 01:44 pm
http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/7385582_f260.jpg

Emma Hamilton was considered a very beautiful woman. She was also as big as a house, and had a years long illicit relationship with Horatio Nelson under her husband's roof.

But people in Britain had a sense of humor in those days, as this cartoon from the famous political satirist Gilray demonstrates:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150601140126-hamilton-gillray-super-169.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 02:05 am
OK. It seems like the po-faced have finally taken over.

Time for a break, methinks.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 02:14 am
Righteous indignation is exhausting. They tend to run out of superlatives to describe just how scurrilous they think one is. Then they go away.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 02:50 am
I love fat chicks . . .

http://www.acuteaday.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cute-little-chick.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 02:56 am
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 03:19 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

At the risk of missing the joke-theme, the fat Brünnhilde stereotype is a from a bygone age. My theory was that they needed a big physique to deliver a big sound, perhaps, but maybe there is more to it.

It wasn't that they needed a big physique to produce a big sound, it's just that they thought they needed a big physique. That, at least, was the prevailing school of thought for much of the 20th century. I'm not sure if Callas provided the impetus for the change that followed. At around the same time, Birgit Nilsson, who, unlike Callas, actually did sing Wagnerian roles, wasn't stereotypically stout either. Singers now are probably in better shape than their predecessors, but opera singers who are fat are fat for the same varied reasons that other people are fat: unhealthy lifestyles, genetic predisposition, plain old gluttony, etc. The notion that they have to be big to sound big has, I think, been thoroughly discredited.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 01:12 am
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:35 am
@Setanta,
So you are mentioned politely by someone and you give names, offenses and peyorative alusion.as a return?
It a common thing being attact by some all the senior as son as they are confronted in the slightestway.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
Salad Dodger.... not having to turn around to get wet.....? That,t.not.making fun of somebody,s body?
Next time choose to laugh at fat opera male singers... you'll finds thousands of them... that way nobody gets offended... in fact, why didnt yo u think about on a first place?!
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:47 am
@Setanta,
Not always... but his right this time, sorry
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 02:22 am
I have no idea what you think you've said.
momoends

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 04:09 am
@Setanta,
You can't be that thick...
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 04:48 am
@Setanta,
I remember going to hockey games where KATE SMITH(big girl) would sing Gawd Bless Merka, and if we were playin some dam canadian team, shed scare the **** out of em with them pipes . It was like having an extra man on the field.
She liked her scrapple and syrup for breakfast.

We went to a Gilbert and Sullivan thingy earlier in June and they hasd everybody all "miked up" with those things that hang around your neck and are bluetooth mikes just like they used touse. at MAdonna concerts. PERFECT sound came from everywhere and it kinda made it a bit too high tech for us.

What was yer question?

momoends

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 04:58 am
@farmerman,
Bazingaaaa!

They know im an spaniard already, but this time the mistake was the result of my authomatic phone corrector turning he's into his
0 Replies