Let's Talk Sushi!

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 08:58 am
Yes! Let's talk about our favorite sushi (and sashimi), etc....

http://i67.tinypic.com/11azrli.jpg
“You call this guacamole?”
Are you educated in the ways of sushi? Afraid of the raw fish cuisine? Do you use the wasabi and/or ginger at hand or eschew it like the plague? What's your favorite roll?

Did you ever get food poisoning from eating gas station sushi? Willing to try fugu?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:12 am
@tsarstepan,
I like sushi and sashimi from a good place. Easy to find in Little Tokyo, LA, hard to find in a place like Albuquerque. There was an ok spot (not perfect, by any means) but it had a kitchen fire and burnt down.

Only thing I've not liked in a good restaurant was raw sea urchin. Once - became the last time. I don't like raw quail eggs as an additive to a concoction, but I don't like raw eggs period.

Would't buy gas station sushi. I've never been in a restaurant that had Fugu.. I'd be doubtful. Maybe if I ever got to Tokyo's best.

edit, yes to wasabi and ginger.

Favorite? I remember the yellowtail in the first Japanese restaurant I/we had ever been to. I loved it, but four decades later I can't describe the exact plate.
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:25 am
@tsarstepan,
unagi unagi, unagi.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:30 am
@farmerman,
oh, yea, I like that too
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:34 am
@ossobuco,
there are a lot of "American Rolls" (ones with mayo or philly cream cheese)> You can take all of those and use em for bait.
I like Futomaki rolls .
I dip all my stuff into a wasabi /soy/rice vinegar slurry. Sweet-hot-and salty. OH MOMMY
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:35 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

unagi unagi, unagi.

Eel! Smile #superyummers!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:36 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

there are a lot of "American Rolls" (ones with mayo or philly cream cheese)> You can take all of those and use em for bait.
I like Futomaki rolls .
I dip all my stuff into a wasabi /soy/rice vinegar slurry. Sweet-hot-and salty. OH MOMMY

Sorry. Philly rolls are my favorite. Embarrassed
Also, I only use the soy sauce and eschew the wasabi and ginger.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:37 am
@ossobuco,
Don't think I've ever had sea urchin.
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:44 am
@tsarstepan,
gazundheidt. (for the eschew).
We have a Sushi bar in Avondale Pa that hqs a roll made for us. (They call it the Vladswagen roll). Its a strip of eel an raw shrimp wound abvout with pepper grass(or roquette) and a nice split slice opf spring onion (slightly nuked to sweeten it). Wrapped in rice and Nori covered with salmon eggs and served up with our secret sauce.

They make some dessert rolls with pineapple slips an meyer lemon in a sweet rice roll coveed with a thin dumpling and only steamed a bit). Dipped in green tea ice cream or coco milk it great endings.

We sometimes just go and blow a pension check on experimental sushi.

I used to at sushi at a place on 16th st in Denver and it was so good, until they started to introduce all these philly cream cheese rolls . Maybe just a tiny wee bit but everybody just slavers it in a sushi roll like it was a bagel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:48 am
@tsarstepan,
you only eat the nutz of a sea urchin. I dont call me a big lover of echinoidal sushi.
Same thing with FUGU. I dont consider risking a dose of a deadly neurotoxin as a "treat" in my meal.
Soma those fanatics have death wishes.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:50 am
@farmerman,
I'm not going out of my way to pay big money to risk death in that fugu gamble.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:59 am
@tsarstepan,
I usually stick to the basics - usually spicy tuna roll or yellow tail tend to be my favorites. We have a very small local family place we go to - and always ask for extra wasabi and ginger. It cleans the sinuses.

If I get it somewhere else --- ie grocery store that makes it fresh or a take out type place - I stick to California roll or shrimp or similar as there is no raw fish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:18 am
@ossobuco,
Oh, make that five decades later. No wonder I don't remember, except that the yellowtail was terrific somehow.

Around the same time, there was a tiny restaurant in downtown LA named Ishi's.
I do mean tiny. I think it had six small tables, two chairs each. Total turn-on food, but of course I forget the menu. One day they were gone. I can guess that they got a bigger place somewhere under another name, but that was it, we couldn't find them. I think that was before 'foodie' was a word.
Sigh, the losses over time!
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:33 am
@ossobuco,
there was a neat little sushi place along the beach side of santa cruz(before the quake). I guess it ws long gone. But they were no fqncy stuff sushi place.
A lunch bento box consisted of soup and several hunks of shrimp, eel , yellowtail and fatty tuna
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:42 am
@farmerman,
I've only been to Santa Cruz once, alas. Have friends who then lived in a cottage they fixed up in Felton, in the mountains nearby. What I remember of S. Cruz is/was a big and wonderful bookstore. This was late 60's or early 70's. I don't remember when the UC campus got going there.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
I make my own. Favorite inserts are brown&serve sausage, canned tuna, egg, crab stick, and ginger mayonnaise sauce.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:18 pm
@seac,
mmmm, never made that, will do - ginger mayo sauce

I dunno re sushi, but I would use it for my fishcakes..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
My wife loves eel. I like tuna. California roll, occasionally. We went to Yoshida's in Cupertino the other day, and they have a lunch box for $9.95 that has sushi, sashimi, and chicken or pork teriyaki and salad.
Oh, and I never had fugu, even when we were in Tokyo. Better make sure the chef is properly trained for fugu.
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
you do a dance with death for a little tingle on the tongue. I dont eat road kill either
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:42 pm

http://i63.tinypic.com/106jwp2.jpg