How to make my paper "less narrative"

hlavkus

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 04:39 am
Hello, I'm writing a bachelor thesis about house music. I'm at the college studying English and it is not my first language and the school is Czech too. My teacher said that my style of writing is "too narrative" and it should be "more academic ". Can you give me some examples and advice how to fix it? I'm writing a lot about people and parts of their biography where it is really hard for me to make it "not as much narrative".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 849 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 06:13 am
@hlavkus,
More academic is generally going to mean citations. You show a background for what you are asserting. You need to support what you are saying and use formal English, not colloquialisms. This also means contractions are out unless you're quoting someone.

If this is your bachelor's thesis, then isn't it your last paper/project before you graduate? If so, then look at your best work and see what it was like. If it's not, and you're using the term thesis when you really mean the term essay, why not ask your professor what s/he means?
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 06:18 am
If you're writing about house music, then a brief narrative description about how house music arose should be sufficient. Perhaps your instructor felt that you were writing a history of house music, rather than actually investigating and describing what makes any particular music house music, and what makes it popular.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 09:27 am
@jespah,
get a tyle manual for scholarly ritings in your subject.
Also, most academic writing is passive voiced and hardly ever personalized.
0 Replies