Document Review Unknown sender Email

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:38 am
Before you say anything - I did not respond back or open any attachments. But got this email:

I am trying to send you a document for you to review but I don't have it on my phone. I will send it from my email account once I get home. Please be on the look out for it.
Thanks,
Peter Jacobs
--Sent from my Phone

phishing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,879 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:41 am
@Linkat,
Well I got the email with File I mentioned - of course I didn't open it.

He wants me to look it over and send it back to him --- should I?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:52 am
@Linkat,
Do you know this person? If not, delete it. It's bad business protocol if it's a legitimate business associate or coworker to have such a vague email (no email company letterheads), no particulars about you (the recipient of the email): name, address, phone number, MOST IMPORTANTLY: no particulars about him (the sender of the email): name, address, phone number.

If it really is authentic and real, he'll resend the email with some verifiable details.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:54 am
@tsarstepan,
Circulate this guys name in your office. Maybe someone in management or sales or whatever can recognize his name or email address. Other then that? Delete it pronto.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 10:06 am
@Linkat,
Your thread title says unknown sender. I'd either send it to the IT dept (that's standard process in our company) or delete it (if it came to my personal email).
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 10:10 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah I was trying to find somewhere in the IT department to send it -- one of the negatives of a large company is trying to find where/who to send such stuff to - the person is not anyone I know and is not listed in the company directory.

I would call him if he was listed.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:04 am
@Linkat,
There isn't a catchall IT email? At my firm, we have a Help Desk email account that goes to all of the associates in the IT department. The first one to reply is the one to handle it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:28 am
@tsarstepan,
there are so many depending on your issue - is it password related, is it a particular system, is it the mainframe - etc.

Yeah nothing is simple where I work
0 Replies