a2k cooks, dried bean question

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:55 pm
A friend mentioned a very different way of starting dried beans off, saying it eliminated the gas far more effectively than soaking overnight with frequent water changes. Also, she claims, it causes the beans to absorb any spices better, melding with the oil.

After rinsing, she adds them to a hot heavy pot coated with olive oil, and sautes them for maybe 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Near the end, she adds in her salt and spices, stirs around the last couple of minutes, then adds her wet ingredients and onions and such.

She says making the internal temperature of the bean really hot destroys the oligosaccharides, and they keep their bright colors and flavor.

I'm going to try this in a day or 2. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 925 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:09 pm
@chai2,
Nope.
Not saying it's not a good idea.

Me, I soak the beans overnight, empty out to collander, rinse them once but well. There's a trick some do, instead of overnight soaking, that I forget, a fast boil for something like 20 minutes. Don't trust me, haven't done that for years.

I cook them slow on low in my smallish slow cooker, add what I want to, and I like mine spicy, except for salt, which I add toward the end, not being certain it would be ok at the beginning, that being understood as a bad thing to do in earlier recipes, maybe or maybe not an old wives' tale.

Let us know how you like the new (to us) way..
0 Replies