roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 06:36 pm
Gone for a bit over two weeks and nobody notice except of Letty and I asked her not to make an announcement. I had a minor stroke, as strokes go, and they have ways to keep you from walking out, like loss of Medicare benefits, though they may gave been indulging in a bit of bluffing on that score. In any case, there is still some weakness on the left extremities, but physically, the recovery has been quite rapid. Mentally, I'm not sure. In contemplative moments, I've considered Hillary over Trump if that's how the choices work out. Maybe just a temporary aberration.

The seem fairly insistent that if I have another, I should resist the impulse to drive to the ER. It's a good hospital and once I mentioned that I thought I was having a stroke, there was zero waiting time.

Anyhow, between the hospital and their rehab hospital, I met some good people and some interesting people. Sometimes they were the same persons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 8,901 • Replies: 137

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 06:59 pm
@roger,

Now are we gonna keep up with our aspirin regimen?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 07:09 pm
Glad you're back and recovering.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 07:24 pm
I knew you were not posting. Was waiting to see what is was about.
roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 07:54 pm
@farmerman,
Never quit, but they were treating me with some other stuff, but not the rat poison ingredient. I am also now allowing them to prescribe some sort of statin for cholesterol. At this point the benefits seem to outweigh the possible side effects.
roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Jo.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 07:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well yes, people do depart for all kinds of reason, don't they?
jespah

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:12 pm
@roger,
I'm just glad you're on the mend.
0 Replies

dianef

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:16 pm
@roger,
Hi, Roger. Osso told me you had had a stroke, so I thought it would be a good idea to see how my old friend was doing. It's good to hear that you are recovering nicely. Please take good care of yourself.
Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:20 pm
@roger,
I'm glad to see you're back and on the mend. Keep up the good progress. Hope you're involved with some rehab exercises..etc.
dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:43 pm
Oh my! I am glad you are recovering. You take care. Are the cats being useful? I would have noticed if I hung around more!
roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:49 pm
@Ragman,
I was in rehab inpatient for about 2/3 of the time I was away from home. Right now, they have sent me home with exercises and I think they are planning for home therapy and later at outpatient therapy. This afternoon has been a whirlwind of activities, but anything not done by now will get figured out tomorrow.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:57 pm
@dlowan,
Well, I'm down to one cat right now. Barney had to be euthanized about a month ago and it went so badly I could have taken him out and strangled him and it would have been quicker and not much more agonizing for him. I am constantly lurking about, waiting to share the story and the vet's clinic to anyone who will listen.

Nermal is my last cat, and I'm not planning on another. I wouldn't want one to out live me, nor do I want to go through such a thing again. I had a lady stop by and keep him fed, so he's alive but avoiding me. The little fluff brains have such short memories he hid under the bed for an hour. He'll just have to relearn who opens the door for him.
roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:02 pm
@dianef,
Thanks. You don't want a stroke of any kind, but I think I chose the best way to do it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:15 pm
@roger,
There's a 'best' way, and you had a choice? The important thing is, you're okay.
As I've said many times before, getting old is not for sessies. I've had my share of physical problems including pancreatic cancer, but with good doctors, RN's, technicians, and radiation treatment at Kaiser Hospital, I've done very well. Being laid up in the hospital for over one week has given me the kind of experience that have resulted in my very high respect for the caretakers who have participated in my care. One can't possibly imagine the high quality of care until you experience it yourself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:16 pm
@roger,
Glad to see you're bavk and posting.

Listen to the bossy people when they come by to get those exercises going.
boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:30 pm
@roger,
Scary!

I'm hoping your recovery continues to be speedy.

So glad you're back here with us...
roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:38 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Listen to the bossy people when they come by to get those exercises going.

Thanks, and I'm sure they will be right to nag. Like I say, I've been busy today. Fortunately, I had brief computer access in the hospital, but just for legitimate business. I was able to get two important bills out of the way without incurring late fees or damage to the credit. Might need every bit of it soon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 09:40 pm
@boomerang,
I'm fairly confident since I've real improvement every day. Still, my current level may not be great, but probably good enough for government work already.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 10:32 pm
@roger,
Oh Roger...I am so sorry! That is awful for you having your little fellow suffer like that. And for him. You have all my sympathy.

0 Replies