How to know the true God

Leadfoot

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 06:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Humans make many mistakes, and those in leadership have the power to make errors that kills millions. This history will continue.

Once again, you are again in agreement with the bible. Until God calls the end of the game, life will go on as it has. I don't often quote the bible but these words of Jesus seem appropriate here:

Quote:
Matthew 24:6-15 KJV
[6] And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. [7] For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. [8] All these are the beginning of sorrows. [9] Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. [10] And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. [11] And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. [12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. [13] But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. [14] And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 06:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
I don't give a damn what the bible says or doesn't say. I'm living in the 21st century; not in some 2000 year old book with omissions, errors and contradictions.
Let's start with the bible's 7000 year old earth.
Leadfoot

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 06:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Let's start with the bible's 7000 year old earth.

Ah, the young earth straw man. That has been addressed so many times already it is not worth revisiting. The bible never makes that claim.
cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 06:46 pm
@Leadfoot,
It's not a straw man. Type in any search engine:
Quote:
how was the bible's 7000 year old earth determined

https://answersingenesis.org/age-of-the-earth/how-old-is-the-earth/
Leadfoot

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 06:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From your source:

Quote:
Of course, the Bible doesn’t say explicitly anywhere, “The earth is 6,000 years old.”

Yes, 'they' say later that the figure is 6000 years, but we were talking about what the bible says.
You might also note that the bible quote I mentioned says there will be many false prophets. You happened to Google one of them.
cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
So anybody can call you a false profit too! LOL
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's not a straw man. Type in any search engine:
Quote:
how was the bible's 7000 year old earth determined
A popular belief can also be a straw man. But even us dummies can figure out that 6000 or 7000 years is not a biblical claim. Read Genesis 2:4, where 6 days of creation were summarized:
Quote:
These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens . . .
The indeterminate length of the creative day should be obvious. Then read Genesis 1:31
Quote:
And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
While each of the first 6 days were so noted, day seven continues. So the earth could be a kazilllion years old.

If you wonder where the 6000 years come from, all you need to do is add up all the years recorded in the Hebrew scriptures and you will find that Adam would have turned 6000 in 1975 or 1976, had he not croaked.
cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:12 pm
@neologist,
Anything can be called a 'straw man,' but the person challenging the information must provide facts to prove it's wrong.
neologist

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just did
cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:39 pm
@neologist,
You convinced yourself. Not me.
I rely on scientific fact, not some fictional book called the bible.
Prove your god exists.
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:55 pm
Just STOP! Fighting about existance of God is a mute point. Noone wins that argument. Instead, think about how religion influences your life, whether you believe in it or not. Or maybe not religion....but how you are a good person despite relgion....maybe a need for religion is irrelevant. But this constant debate over the existance of divinity is really a worthless debate.

Want to know the true God? Due unto others as they would do unto you. Simple as that. If you are a good person and stop assuming what God wants and live by your family's needs, God loves you. Provide for them, raise them in peace and love and God loves you. Its not that hard.

For thousands of years man has debated the "mind of God" and when do we just agreee to disagree? When do we say, "idk what he wants? But I do for my family because I love them? And God should seee no bad in that."
Im tired of the parcing of 3 books and what they mean. Noone can come to a consensus about that, so leave it alone! Feed your family! Raise your children to love their fellow man! And accept that God is only watching when you love and respect your family.
Glennn

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:56 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
No.
No wonder you don't get it.

What is granted cannot be called free will if the one doing the granting will kill you for using it for your own purposes, as in pre-flood days. If free will comes with conditions, then it's not free. This is where the story you've built in your mind concerning the god and your idea that its non-interference is essential to the quality of our free will becomes contradictory.
Glennn

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I'm sure he isn't happy about it but since it does not threaten the very survival of his plan

And what is its plan? And how can I threaten it?
Glennn

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 08:05 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
I didn't ask you what God's grand scheme was, I was wondering what your opinion was.

My opinion is that adult humans should stop looking for an authority figure--ethereal or physical--to please and worship. You're not a child anymore.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 08:07 pm
@Lilkanyon,
It's a moot point, because you can't provide any proof. In my world, I trust only half of what I can see, and nothing of what I hear. I start with not trusting anything I hear until I can verify its veracity. It's the same with seeing something. Some things or most things are automatic since I've seen or heard them before.
As for gods, many cultures have their own gods. The christian god is only two thousand years old, and humanity is much older. There's a disconnect between the almighty christian god and human existence.
Belief in god(s) takes faith. I don't have any faith in any gods.
Lilkanyon

Tue 8 Mar, 2016 08:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree, but thats not enough for everyone. Some people have a pathological need to believe in something. Mostly it is the God their were ingrained to believe in. It is probably really strange for a person that incorporates God into their every day lives to u derstand how someone like you or me never consider him as a driving force of our destiny. I have just as much difficulty understanding why God drives people in their lives as they understand how we live our lives without God dictating it.
neologist

Wed 9 Mar, 2016 12:02 am
@Glennn,
There is a difference between conditions and consequences.
neologist

Wed 9 Mar, 2016 12:10 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
And what is its plan? And how can I threaten it?
Plans may be foiled. The true God has a purpose that will be accomplished regardless of any plans fabricated against it. You may believe you have threatened his plan only to suffer consequences you could have avoided.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 9 Mar, 2016 03:49 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
And what is its plan?
And how can I threaten it?

I answered the first at length already and if you had actually read my answer you would know that you can't threaten it.
onevoice

Wed 9 Mar, 2016 10:22 am
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:
It is probably really strange for a person that incorporates God into their every day lives to u derstand how someone like you or me never consider him as a driving force of our destiny. I have just as much difficulty understanding why God drives people in their lives as they understand how we live our lives without God dictating it.

No, really it is not at all difficult to understand how someone like you never considers Him a driving force of your destiny. Why would you? Something you don't believe in has no force to drive you anywhere. Except perhaps the opposite direction if it is forced on you.

As surely as God is a driving force for me, you have a driving force as well... Projecting you down a different path. Is it a destiny of some sort? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way we are all heading somewhere. Emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually. The final destination physically is the same for all of us, however we choose the path we take to get there.

So what is it that really drives a person anywhere? Momentum. Anything that moves has to have momentum of some sort, right? But where does the momentum come from? For believers it is the Holy Spirit, the bible, relationship with God. Unfortunately, many Christians have chosen a bulldozer as their mode of travel, rather than a donkey.

But for those who don't believe, what causes the momentum? The very same things that still drives believers too sometimes. Passion about something. Believing something... Anything... With all your heart. Like the passion you find in someone who rescues animals. Pursuing a dream. Also anger, fear, and insecurity, just to name a few examples.

All of those things are a force and... Can be a fuel as well. Here's the thing about momentum... It has to have a force to get it started and fuel to keep it going. The only real difference I see between us is what started our momentum and what is fueling it.

0 Replies