Alpha, Beta, Omega...?

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 11:01 pm
I'm making a story and I was wondering, what would the in-between group members be considered?

Say there are 12 members in a group. There's Alpha (leader), a Beta (2nd in command) and an Omega. What would be the rank of the other 9 members in between the Beta and Omega? Or is Beta a term that goes for all the members between Alpha and Omega?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:39 am
@frostfire,
Quote:
Say there are 12 members in a group.

All Greek to me I'm afraid, what about calling them the qwerty dozen or the halflings.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/NAMA_Alphabet_grec.jpg/200px-NAMA_Alphabet_grec.jpg

If there were 24 (or 26) members I'd call them the alphabet and designate them equal members in a democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

Αα Alpha Νν Nu
Ββ Beta Ξξ Xi
Γγ Gamma Οο Omicron
Δδ Delta Ππ Pi
Εε Epsilon Ρρ Rho
Ζζ Zeta Σσς Sigma
Ηη Eta Ττ Tau
Θθ Theta Υυ Upsilon
Ιι Iota Φφ Phi
Κκ Kappa Χχ Chi
Λλ Lambda Ψψ Psi
Μμ Mu Ωω Omega
frostfire

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:31 pm
@Miss L Toad,
Quote:
All Greek to me I'm afraid, what about calling them the qwerty dozen or the halflings.

Ah, sorry I guess I wasn't quite clear about it. 12 was just an arbitrary number I picked. I meant like in terms of hierarchy, with animals or something. ^.^; say like in a pack of dogs, and one of them is the Alpha and there's a Beta and an Omega. I was asking what the ranks of the other 9 dogs would be considered. They would be above Omega, but below Alpha....so would they all be Betas or would just the second in command be a Beta..?

Although, I do like the term 'halflings' a lot....and the Greek alphabet could also help too, but I think halflings would be more general/equal.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 06:36 am
@frostfire,
Quote:
I'm making a story and I was wondering,

Will it be an animated story, say a cartoon, possibly including cats?
frostfire

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:13 am
@Miss L Toad,
yes, but not about cats its a comic about dog furries working at a nightclub heh. I had one of the characters talking about pack structure and I stopped because I was stumped by the rank orders.
chai2

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:31 am
Have you read Brave New World?

Their ranking system wasn't about who was first in command, but intelligence.

They went from Alpha to Epsilon, with sub catagories of plus or minus.

For instance, an Alpha plus person was has high as you could be, an Epilson Minus could barely think how to breath.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 12:05 pm
@frostfire,
Typically - Being a 'pack-member' (Dogs).
Alphas' lead, protect and preserve - Betas' support.
There are no omegas.
You are applying a 'human-construct' to a pack-mentality (anthromorphisising).
Does not apply.
My malamute/labrador is a dominant alpha, by nature and by litter - But, and BOY! what a backbreaking challenge, knows he need not take alpha-role lest I perish.
Alphas' are equal members of a pack (Not superiors or lessers) they just fulfil their position.
frostfire

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 10:47 am
@mark noble,
Well, yes. I'm adding a human concept because the characters in my story are furries (anthro animals) and they're dogs, specifically. so that's why Im doing it this way. I don't actually thing dogs in real life have that kind of detailed structure. I'm just using the concept. It seems appropriate since they're human-like, but also dogs, which is what we associate pack structure with.

I also used dogs in my example earlier because it seemed the easiest, so people knew what I was going for. If I used humans in my example, I don't know if that would've conveyed the whole primal dominance thing. I felt like I would've gotten structures that were a little too domestic like Democracy or Monarchy.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 06:12 am
@frostfire,
Quote:
Will it be an animated story, say a cartoon, possibly including cats?

Quote:
yes, but not about cats its a comic about dog furries working at a nightclub heh

Female dogs would be good in a cartoon at a niteclub. What about names, do you need any names. And what would a niteclub be without asian female dogs?

frostfire

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:06 pm
@Miss L Toad,
Theyre male nightclub dogs actually, heh. but im good on names and stuff for now. And i havent thought about adding an asian character but that sounds like a good idea! I do have an Australian character who is a Dingo, but im liking the idea of adding a bit more variety.
Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 09:18 pm
@frostfire,
I can see the sign on the door:

No Hyena.

If you had bitches then Alpha could yelp, "Dingo's taken my babe".
roger

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 09:22 pm
@Miss L Toad,
I'm pretty sure you're on the wrong trail, birddog.
Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 09:27 pm
@roger,
0 Replies

frostfire

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2016 12:45 am
@Miss L Toad,
Haha XD thats a good one.
0 Replies