I accidentally killed a child! What do i do?

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 10:54 pm
I'm 23 and work in a bowling alley. The other day, when I was driving home from work, I forgot to stop in front of a stop sign and I accidentally killed an 8-year-old boy and severely injured his mother. I know I will probably get a long prison sentence, which I don't mind, but how do I deal with my guilty feelings? I feel horrible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,283 • Replies: 21

BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:19 am
@prpinrni,
First unless you was under the influence at the time of drugs and or alcohol or speeding way over the limit or did not stop you in my non-lawyer opinion are not looking at anything beyond a traffic ticket as it is an accident that everyone of us could had been involved in even if the results was horrible in this case.

Stop making public comments, next see a lawyer and a mental health expert at once.

Sadly such accidents could had happen to anyone who drive a car on the public roadways as we are all human.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:37 am
@prpinrni,
So, you're posting from jail? It's great to see our tax dollars are going to good wifi in stir.

Sorry, but if this is even on the same planet as reality, you're either in custody or on bail. Either way, you're probably about to get a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether you understand your rights, can competently participate in your defense, and whether you have any means of mitigating what will undoubtedly happen to you.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 09:41 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Sorry, but if this is even on the same planet as reality, you're either in custody or on bail. Either way, you're probably about to get a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether you understand your rights, can competently participate in your defense, and whether you have any means of mitigating what will undoubtedly happen to you.

Nonsense he is likely to be under investigation at the moment but unless he was openly drunk or high at the accident scene there would be no ground to arrested him for an accident even an accident that sadly resulted in the death of a child.

I do not know what planet you live on but we do not arrested people for having accidents unless their actions was so careless that the accident was of a criminal nature and judging from his posting that was not the case.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 10:15 am
@jespah,
Not seeing a traffic sign is not gross negligence in my non-lawyer opinion.

In any case there are roughly 30,000 deaths in the US due to traffic accidents and very few criminal charges so the bar is set very high for that charge unless the actions of a driver is way out of line

He should of course stop making public statements an see a lawyer as ruining his life is not going to be of aid to the child or the child mother.

Quote:

http://criminal.lawyers.com/traffic-violations/when-a-drivers-actions-amount-to-manslaughter.html

Reckless or grossly negligent conduct poses a more severe and obvious threat of death than mere carelessness or simple negligence. Recklessness and gross negligence can be shown in a variety of ways, such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or violating certain traffic laws, like speeding, texting while driving, or deliberately running a red light. Ignoring a warning not to drive while taking prescription medication could also constitute reckless and gross negligence, and so could driving with a known medical condition that could affect your ability to drive safely. The extent of the danger created by the driver’s actions will usually determine whether the defendant is charged with simple or aggravated (meaning more serious) vehicular manslaughter. Aggravated felonies carry stiffer penalties.

Note that mere negligent (careless) driving will not result in a charge of vehicular manslaughter. For example, suppose a driver causes a fatal accident while going five miles over the highway’s posted speed limit on a clear day. Even if analysis shows that speed was a factor in the accident, this excess speed is unlikely by itself to support a charge of vehicular manslaughter, though it could be the basis for a misdemeanor.
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 10:53 pm
Wow guys! He was trying to bear his soul and his guilt and find some sort of humanitarian feeling and he was spit on! That he reached out with a guilty heart is the first step towards trying to heal. I would have recommended counseling first and possibly an audience with his victims family to help with the healing process. Give Ceasar what is his. The rest is up to us as a society.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 11:40 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Take note I did in the very first sentence along with getting the advice of a lawyer suggested getting some mental health counseling.

But as long as we live in a society where punishment and not healing come first even in the case of an accident you need to deal with the legal matters first.

That is unless you wish him to be bearing his soul to a cell mate for the next decade or so, as the US have ten times it population behind bars then any other western nation.
Lilkanyon

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 11:44 pm
@BillRM,
I agree, but here he is not asking for legal advice, just a sympathetic ear to lean on. He is asking for how to deal with his guilt.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 11:54 pm
@Lilkanyon,
He is not going to be dealing with guilt too well being locked up in a cell for ten years in my opinion at least.

Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:00 am
@BillRM,
Wow! He never asked to be exonerated for his crime, just an ear that he can lean on. Hes obviously distressed and feels awful for his mistake. You assume he was drunk or high. No proof of that...maybe just a text watcher...
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:06 am
@Lilkanyon,
Where did I assume that he was drunk or in any other manner responsible in a criminal manner for the death of the boy?

Being not guilty is not a hundred percent protection in the US at least, with special note of if the DA is up for re-election.

0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:06 am
When I first moved to CA, i was unaccustomed to pedestrian walks. They didnt exist in LA where I learned to drive. I was lucky once I didn't take out a man walking his dog because I didn't see him. Had I hit him, would I have deserved 10 years in jail just for being stupid? Im not saying this is the situation this 23 yr old faced, but in the US, he is presumed innocent. He carries a guilt I would carry myself hurting and killing people. You know what? Im tired of talking to you. I will say to OP, pls try to get an audience with the family and beg forgiveness.
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:09 am
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:
but in the US, he is presumed innocent

Sure he is that is why we have not only the highest rate of our citizens being behind bars but that 95 plus of the people behind bars got there by way of plea deals not jury verdicts.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:20 am
@BillRM,
Thats an issue of discrimination...and i agree...not applicable here ..unless you are being discriminatory...
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:31 am
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:
Thats an issue of discrimination...and i agree...not applicable here ..unless you are being discriminatory.

Sorry but if by that you mean that blacks or some other group is the only ones getting the short end of the American so call justice system as unless you are far above the middle class no matter what race or color you happen to be there is little justice in that system.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:33 am
@BillRM,
Oooh! Sounds like a great topic to start...somewhere else...
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 08:17 am
@Lilkanyon,
Lol another person who will take a thread off tropic an then complain that it is now off tropic?

In any case the poster of this thread need to see a lawyer and protect himself as otherwise all his healing will likely be in a small jail cell.

A result that is not likely to be to anyone benefit no matter how guilty he is feeling over what is a sad accident

0 Replies

Briancrc

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 10:38 am
@prpinrni,
Not funny

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20160225204105AAg3AVP

BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 05:18 pm
@Briancrc,
Well I am happy that the odds are that there is no dead child or grieving and hurt mother just some teenager with too must times on his hands.
prpinrni

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 12:00 pm
@BillRM,
If you'd actually read the question, you'd realize I was 23. Teenager is 13 to 19.