My child's father just has cancer

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 03:58 am
We were in the middle of a child support/ custody battle. Not really a battle, i decided to file for sole legal and child support after being 2 years of him being MIA. My child is 2 years old. He's seen him all of 5 times his entire life. He calls me a few days ago, tells me has been diagnosed with Cancer. Now what? I don't know what do to. I don't want to be insensitive to what he is going through, but we haven't heard from him. He sent lives in NJ, I live in CA. He's sent a total of 1100 dollars in 2015, with the last 75 dollars being sent in Sept 2015. Nothing at all in 2016. He has now taken a leave of absence from work says he will be getting disability while hes on chemo. I am a single mom working a part-time graveyard shift. I need help with child care and other expenses, and now, i don't know what to do... Also, he has a older son, about 17 yrs old, he has moved in with his mother, and living with them, I am sure she is taking care of him, which is fine, but who is taking care of my son? Can you get child support from disability? Help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,692 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 06:44 am
@SARAHBROWN,
I doubt you can get any more $$ but it's time to ask your lawyer. And also to push for sole custody as your ex clearly is not capable (or won't be soon enough) to care for your son.

Sorry if that seems mercenary to anyone, but it's really better for all concerned, as this child would likely be his grandmother's responsibility, and the grandmother already has her hands full. Furthermore, kids bring in colds and stuff all the time, and that is the last thing you want when you are undergoing chemo.
0 Replies