How long more?!?

Jaqen

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 02:53 am
Some dude who claims to be an English teacher says 'how long more do I have to wait' is grammatically correct. He says when 'long' is an adverb, 'more' can come after 'long'. Personally, I've never heard of such a thing. Long more? He went on to argue that depending on situations, it could be either more + adverb/adjective or adj/adv + more. Really? I'm trying to collect some information from native English speakers so I can post the answers back to our discussion board. By the way, he's not American or British. He's Korean.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,058 • Replies: 50

View best answer, chosen by Jaqen
Lordyaswas
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 02:59 am
@Jaqen,
I would never write or say 'how long more'.

How much longer.

I'm British.
Jaqen

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 03:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thank you. I thought I was on crazy pills. He still argues that I'm the one who's ignorant of English grammar.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 04:08 am
Well, his Lordyship is an Englishman of the British persuasion, so, as an American, allow me to say that i concur with him. Your interlocutor is full of poop.
Jaqen

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 04:16 am
@Setanta,
Bwahahaha
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 06:01 am
@Jaqen,
I can confirm that I once had an interlocutor that was full of poop, but after cleaning out the filters, it now works a lot long more.

Joking.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:38 am
@Jaqen,
Jagen it sounds fine to me tho I'd'v more likely said "how much longer"
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Jagen it sounds fine to me

It's nonsense. Don't give bad advice to learners.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:26 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
It's nonsense.
So, Tes, I sprung it on my Better Half who I'm sure you will agree is much smarter than I, and she understood it instantly and perfectly. However she agreed with me that most of us would instead say "How much longer"

Quote:
Don't give bad advice to learners.
I'm such a terrible person
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
my Better Half ... understood it instantly and perfectly.

The point, which I think has escaped you before, is that this is a learner of English who has asked whether a phrase is correct English.

Many things said in broken or bad English can be quickly understood by native speakers. If someone said or wrote "The lake is much wide and his water is big deep", yes, we would probably get what they meant without too much trouble, but that person would rightly get it marked as wrong in a school test. Just saying "it sounds OK" is very bad advice therefore.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 02:32 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Alas, Tes, but Jag asks for input by"native American speakers." And indeed I am one. Yet after about 70 years in the field of Journ it still sounds okay

In my own defense I can only argue that much "irregular" English is widely accepted. But Jag, if I'm totally off base here I apologize most profusely
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 02:36 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Alas, Tes, but Jag asks for input by"native American speakers".

Read it again. He says, and this is a direct copy:
Quote:
I'm trying to collect some information from native English speakers

dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 02:52 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Don't follatya, Tes. I'm a native English speaker and I provided some information

Edited to q, whether "native English" excludes native American. Alack, I'm a victim sometimes of technicalities
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 03:52 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Don't follatya, Tes.

If that means "don't folla ya", my reply is that you said he asked for (in quote marks) "native American" speakers to help, whereas he didn't, he asked for "native English" speakers.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 05:00 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Oh, okay Tes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:37 am
Well, Tesyeux, Hileman has succeeded in trolling this thread because he got an kept your attention, which was all he was ever interested in. He habitually gives bad answers to English language learners just to get some attention.
Jaqen

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:54 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
You're right. My question, which I should've put more clearly, was whether 'how long more' is good English or not. Of course I knew what it meant when I saw it.
Jaqen

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:55 am
@Setanta,
Is that so? That's not nice. Sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:58 am
Hileman is not a nice person.
Jaqen

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 04:00 am
@dalehileman,
I should've said 'native English speakers who are able and willing to give good advice to English learners'. Sorry, my mistake. I'll be more careful next time I post questions.