Which Religion is the One True Religion?

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 02:51 pm
@neologist,
don't ever think I'm not a Jesus fan. I just try to pay attention to the meat of His career and not the embellishments
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 03:22 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Don't you think bvt that a comparison between Jesus and Eddie Snowden is reasonable. Or between Jesus and Luther. Or any number who took a risk to teach us something. Going too far against authority and it being not too late until it is too late. Socrates is another. Calvin having Severus burnt. Bruno.

The retribution being inevitable once nabbed and in the context of the times. A lifetime in an American jail now being seen as more humane than a public crucifixion as a result of Christian morality, as there is no plausible explanation why it is now seen that way if the Christian morality had never been taught.

A hero who is sacrificed to save us from something irrespective of whether he is demented or not and who is then taken over by a similar authority, once legends have been built up around him, and put to its use.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 04:38 pm
Quote:
Foofie said: the Romans didn't like his anti-Roman shtick. He wound up crucified

The Romans had no beef with Jesus, he'd already told people to pay their taxes to Rome, and he preached "love your enemies", heck he even cured a Centurion's servant!
When the snooty priests hauled him before Pilate for trial, Pilate found him not guilty, but the priests talked him into executing him.
neologist

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 05:52 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Embellishments abound. That may cloud the truth, but not eliminate it.
Foofie

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:27 pm
@neologist,
Believe what you like. That's the beauty of a free society.
neologist

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:35 pm
@Foofie,
Unfortunately, truth is unaffected by the magnitude of our beliefs or the volume of our prayers.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:51 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Foofie said: the Romans didn't like his anti-Roman shtick. He wound up crucified

The Romans had no beef with Jesus, he'd already told people to pay their taxes to Rome, and he preached "love your enemies", heck he even cured a Centurion's servant!
When the snooty priests hauled him before Pilate for trial, Pilate found him not guilty, but the priests talked him into executing him.

I thought Pilate could care less who was let go, Barabus or Jesus. Most people thought that Pilate supposedly "washed his hands of the decision." The priests felt that Jesus's anti-Roman rhetoric would make more problems for the Jews than Jesus was making for the high priests. You really think Christian historians are going to put the onus on the pagans that were soon to be the demographic that Christianity would be "marketed" to?

But, believe what you want. I understand few Christians want to admit they had more complicity in Jesus's death than they would be comfortable with. Notice that crucifixion was strictly a Roman thing. Plus, if Romans had no beef with Jesus, what was Pilate doing there? Why the crucifixion?

But, trust me on this one. When we're dead, we're dead. No eternal life. That is my opinion, so I get bored easily with those who are believers in the myths of religion.

P.S. Since Jesus was a Rabbi, He was on the cutting edge of Judaism, since the Judaism of High Priests was about to end with the Diaspora (scattering after Jerusalem was burned by the dear Romans). So, since Gentiles took over the sect of Jesus followers, today we have a whole mish-mosh of Jesus followers, all thinking they are the one true faith and way.

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:58 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Embellishments abound. That may cloud the truth, but not eliminate it.

the argument for questioning everything and looking
everywhere
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 05:05 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
So, since Gentiles took over the sect of Jesus followers, today we have a whole mish-mosh of Jesus followers, all thinking they are the one true faith and way.

But that is only because The Church stopped burning heretics for whatever reason. As soon as heresy is no longer persecuted heretics pop up out of the woodwork all over the place.

That is because The Church enjoins sacrifice and restraint and is naturally unpopular and words can be easily found which allow the retention of the Christian title whilst having a self-indulgent fling.

Luther getting his nun between the sheets for example.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 06:26 pm
Quote:
Foofie said: But, trust me on this one. When we're dead, we're dead. No eternal life. That is my opinion

Prove it..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shane-wilson_zps4568c86a.jpg~original
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:23 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Foofie wrote:
But, trust me on this one. When we're dead, we're dead. No eternal life. That is my opinion
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Prove it..
You speak as though there was no biblical evidence to support Foofie's opinion.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 05:56 pm
Quote:
Foofie said: But, trust me on this one. When we're dead, we're dead. No eternal life. That is my opinion
Romeo: Prove it..
Neologist replied: You speak as though there was no biblical evidence to support Foofie's opinion.

In Old Testament times, some people thought there was no afterlife, but some thought there was-
"Awake and sing,you who dwell in dust,the earth shall cast out her dead" (Isaiah 26:19)
"Sleepers in the dust of the earth shall awake, to eternal life or contempt" (Daniel 12:2)
"I will open your graves,and you shall know I am the Lord" (Ezekiel 37:12)

Then when Jesus arrived he set the record straight once and for all..Smile-
Jesus said -"Whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this? (John 11:26)
Jesus said:- "All in the graves shall come out,to resurrection or damnation" (John 5:28/29)
Jesus said of his dead friend:-"Lazarus is asleep, but I'm going to wake him up now" (John 11:11)
Jesus said:-"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life" (Matt 25:46)
Jesus said- "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven" (Matt 22:30)
Jesus said to the criminal dying on the cross next to him- "Today you'll be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:41)

Even JW's admit there's life after death..Smile
WIKI- Jehovah's Witnesses interpret Revelation 14:1–5 to mean that the number of Christians going to heaven is limited to exactly 144,000, who will rule with Jesus as kings and priests over earth.
Jehovah's Witnesses teach that only they meet scriptural requirements for surviving Armageddon, but that God is the final judge"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

neologist

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 01:21 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
. . . In Old Testament times, some people thought there was no afterlife, but some thought there was-
Romeo, dear friend. I hope you will remember that the Bible writers did not profess their own opinions but
Quote:
Men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit (2 Peter 1:21)
You will have to open your mind a little. It will not be as painful as you must fear.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 03:22 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: In Old Testament times, some people thought there was no afterlife, but some thought there was-
Neologist said:Romeo, dear friend. I hope you will remember that the Bible writers did not profess their own opinions but
Quote:
Men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit (2 Peter 1:21)
You will have to open your mind a little. It will not be as painful as you must fear.

No offence mate, but if ever they make a new Batman film you'd be ideal in the role of the Riddler because you're a master of the art of never giving a straight answer!
Let's look at the facts-
Some people in the OT said there's NO afterlife.
Some people in the OT said there IS an afterlife.
Jesus said there IS an afterlife.
JW's say there IS an afterlife.

Therefore the majority consensus is that there IS an afterlife, or are you disagreeing with your own JW chums?
0 Replies

indigossip

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 04:47 pm
@coluber2001,
Well said, I agree with you.
In my case, I was raised orthodox (mom is russian), but went to a catholic school because me and my family moved to Belgium when I was 7. That way I was able to experience 2 similar religions and was able to compare them, although I believe that christianity has the potential to lead believing people to a higher spiritual consciousness, I think that the church of today didn't become what it was meant to be according to the teachings of Christ. At this moment I wouldn't call myself catholic nor orthodox since I don't believe in hell (in my opinion 'hell' is on earth) but I do believe in the existence of an immortal soul and an afterlife. I don't think there is a 'one true religion', there are just several paths that lead tot the same destination, some might be longer than others but that (hopefully) doesn't change the nature of the nirvana. Nobody can deny that love and compassion are basicaly the key essencials of every religion, if the followers of different believes really want to devote themselves they should start by not resenting other religions (how many people have already died because of religious wars) and be tollerant. We are born on this earth to learn some important lessons and I think we will keep returning here until we're ready to permanently move to a higher plane of existence.
What those lessons are everyone must figure out in his own way
0 Replies

justforme23

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 04:20 pm
@extra medium,
Follow no religion, follow Christ.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 04:33 pm
Quote:
Justforme said: Follow no religion, follow Christ.

Right..Smile
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
Re Jesus:- "There is no other name under heaven that can save us" (Acts 4:12)
"There is one mediator between God and men,- the man Jesus Christ" (1 Tim 2:5)
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb 12:2)
Jesus said- "You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends"- (John 15:15)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-friends.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jes-leonA.gif
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jes-hug.gif
0 Replies

graceforall

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:24 pm
@extra medium,
It has to be through Christ Jesus. The true Church can be identified. 1st Cor. 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

1 timothy 3:15
0 Replies