Trump and the Central Park Five

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 06:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Also, if I remember, I had Trump something like fourth in my tags. Things get fixed re one's tags, immediately or sooner, thus my agreement with Robert re tags set by posters (although I get it many have no clue, so I wobble on that).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2016 11:22 am
Quote:
Later evidence showed that they were in fact innocent and were let go, as they should have been. After they were released, did Trump continue demanding they get the death penalty? (I'll give you hint, he didn't)

Asking that they receive the death penalty after they'd been exonerated would have just been silly.

However, after knowing the truth, instead of admitting his mistake...

Quote:
Following a 14-year court battle, the Central Park Five settled a civil case with the city for $41m in 2014. But far from offering an apology for his conduct in 1989, Trump was furious.

In an opinion piece for the New York Daily News, he described the case as the “heist of the century”.

“Settling doesn’t mean innocence, but it indicates incompetence on several levels,” Trump wrote, alluding to how police and prosecutors initially involved in the case have long maintained the five boys were involved in the rape, even after the convictions were thrown out.

D’Antonio, the biographer, met with Trump shortly after the settlement was announced. The billionaire was once again considering a shot at the presidency and would, this time, actually run.

Trump was asked if he worried that his publicly confrontational style would affect his political prospects. He retorted instantly with a reference to the Central Park Five.

“I think it will help me,” he said. “I think people are tired of politically correct. I just attacked the Central Park Five settlement. Who’s going to do that?”

The biographer was shocked by what he heard. “His insensitivity and inability to adjust to reality is sometimes shocking,” D’Antonio said of Trump. “But I don’t think that he is necessarily interested in reality as others experience it or as it’s determined by the courts.

“There have been few cases of injustice that are as clear and profound as this one is, but he’s not able to consider that.”
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2016 11:35 am
@boomerang,
Trump doesn't qualify in too many ways to be president - of any country. Except a tyrannical one.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2016 01:12 pm
Boomer posted:
Quote:
"The biographer was shocked by what he heard. “His insensitivity and inability to adjust to reality is sometimes shocking,” D’Antonio said of Trump. “But I don’t think that he is necessarily interested in reality as others experience it or as it’s determined by the courts."

...and the people so eagerly supporting him have NO CLUE what this thin-skinned megalomaniac will do with the reins of Federal Executive power. As the quote refers to, Trump has been able to live his life in a bubble - not the reality the rest of us have to deal with. And there is no telling what the result of his ignorant yet cocksure bullying and bluster would be, for this country.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2016 01:34 pm
@snood,
No clue is correct, but even with knowledge, I doubt it makes any difference.
0 Replies