What are your tricks to remember spellings (like Friend becoming fri-(like fry) -end)

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:01 am
Genius : Gen - I - us : A GENerator for I and the United States!
Friend : fri - end : FRI (fry) your END!
You guys make your own!

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:05 am
@HarmlessHamster,
I don't give a **** about spelling when I live in a time where there is so much important information to digest that is overwhelming. So long its functional I am fine with "language in motion"...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:06 am
@HarmlessHamster,
I find I have to sometimes say a word in my head in order to get it right.

Separate - I remember it as looking a lot like the word disparate. For its versus it's, I mentally break apart it's into it is, in order to determine whether it's right.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:47 am
Often rhymes are taught for example "I before E except after C".

friend, niece, piece, deceit, receipt

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:09 am
Thank Dog for spell-check. I'm getting old enough that i've forgotten most of those tricks that i learned, although i still remember the "I before e" that Tesyeux mentioned. Others kind of skitter away . . . "there is no noise in Illinois" . . . was one which probably only matters to people from Illinois. When i was a child, there was a girl in my first grade class at school who was inordinately proud of her ability to spell Mississippi. She would proudly stand up to say: "Em eye essess eye essess eye peepee eye." (Being just small kids, we would snicker about "peepee.") However, it transpired that when questioned by the superintendent that she didn't know what Mississippi means, and when informed, was unaware that there was river with the name.
HarmlessHamster

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:26 am
@Setanta,
Thank you for your reply.
I have another trick for the word assuredly.
assuredly : as - sure - dly
heh
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:00 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Often rhymes are taught for example "I before E except after C".

friend, niece, piece, deceit, receipt

or science, sufficient seize, weird, their, foreign, feisty, heist, beige, codeine, conscience, deify, deity, deign, eight, either, feign, feint,
forfeit, freight, heifer, height, heinous, heir, heist,
leitmotiv, neigh, neighbor, neither, peignoir, prescient,
rein, seismic, seize, sheik,
society, sovereign, surfeit, veil, vein, weight,
weir, weird....

and yes this is a cut and paste.

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:27 am
@chai2,
I wait for the littlw red line that tells me Ive mispelled something. See the little red line, I musta mispelled mispelled The only mnemonics I use are to recite all the geological EPOCHS, the solid solution thermo for silicates, and the 64 key living protein sequences in organisms nd the 20 amino acids.

Correct spelling is reservved for the non-creative
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:16 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
or science, sufficient seize etc

The exceptions can be accommodated by remembering a few key facts such as:

1. The 'I before E' schoolroom spelling rule does not apply where the vowel is not pronounced as in piece, niece, etc, the key fact which people bemused by many "exceptions" to the rule usually do not realise. A version often cited in the U.K. makes the restriction clear:

When the sound is 'ee',
it's I before E
except after C.

2. The rule doesn not apply to names (Sheila, Keith, Leigh, etc.).

Properly applied, the rule is a very useful guide for people who are not naturally excellent spellers; those who are may look out for themselves. To an RP speaker, the exceptions in common use are very few: e.g. "seize", "inveigle", "caffeine","protein", and "codeine". There are many exceptions in Scots, so speakers with a large Scots vocabulary may as well give up on this rule. Most speakers should still be able to extract some value from the rule, by the application of a little common sense.
chai2

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:42 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
zzzzzzz......

wha?

huh?

zzzzzzzz.......

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:48 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
zzzzzzz......

Is that intended to be a useful contribution towards answering the original question?
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:58 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Ive cut nd pasted it and I shall make a BORDER for a prsonal letterhead for my wife,(who is a total boreass about spelling--pisses me off with her telling me that "I spell atroshusly" . she didnt marry me for my big vocabulary. Know what I mean?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 02:24 pm
I'm a semi natural speller with many exceptions. First, I tend to not see homophones in my writing until time is up re fixing them. (It was my brain that twisted it, sir, not my mind..) That's an in joke by me to Fil Albuquerque and Olivier.
Next, I tend to edit a bunch, as timing allows, and in the editing, sometimes leave screwups when what I was editing was ok in the first place, just incomplete re what I wanted to convey.
Third, I have been known to make up words for my own fun, or choose to ignore rules.
Fourth, if I do zero in on the words, I will usually see the errors but once in a while I am unsure of the fix, thus my love for google, so I can carry forth. Wink
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Ive cut nd pasted it and I shall make a BORDER for a prsonal letterhead for my wife,(who is a total boreass about spelling--pisses me off with her telling me that "I spell atroshusly" . she didnt marry me for my big vocabulary. Know what I mean?

Your big voca....Oh, oh yeah sure. I smell what your steppin' in.

So you specialize in Swingin' Sirloin, huh?

Wally makes a mean Illinois Rolled Roast.
chai2

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:23 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:
zzzzzzz......

Is that intended to be a useful contribution towards answering the original question?

No. It was intended to show you how boring you were in that last post.

Was I too subtle for ya?

roger

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:48 pm
A Red Indian Thought He Might Eat Turnips In Church.

That has left me crippled since I first heard it. I simply cannot spell 'arithmetic' without mentally going through it - hopefully silently.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:54 pm
@chai2,
I AM the Kielbasi man
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:36 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Well, screw you.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:08 pm
@HarmlessHamster,
An early one was
A rat in the house might eat the ice cream= arithmetic

Another, is/was Ch you are Ch= church

Most part spelling has not been an issue for me. I hear a word, visualize from a printed item and it's done.
chai2

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:45 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:

Well, screw you.

Is that a promise? It is something I enjoy.
0 Replies