What might be the result of a Bernie presidency?

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:06 pm
I would like someone to show me the errors of my ways. If Bernie is elected president would the fact he cant get congress to pass any of his programs for 4 to 8 years make a citizenry be so disgusted with 12 or 16 years of unfulfulled promises by liberals that they might elect a totally republican congress, president and a totally republican Supreme Court in order to get congress to do something.

roger

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:49 pm
@RABEL222,
No.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:44 pm
@roger,
Explain please.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:51 pm
@RABEL222,
Given his statements the US will stop addressing any foreign threats and go into a shell that will prove very costly to come out of.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:58 pm
@RABEL222,
You seriously expect Sanders to cause the liberals to vote in a republican congress and president? I can't believe you are asking an explanation.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 11:00 pm
@RABEL222,
Let's change this a bit and see if it helps you come up with an answer.

Quote:
If Hillary is elected president would the fact he cant get congress to pass any of her programs for 4 to 8 years make a citizenry be so disgusted with 12 or 16 years of unfulfulled promises by liberals that they might elect a totally republican congress, president and a totally republican Supreme Court in order to get congress to do something.

The idea that Hillary can work with a Republican Congress any better than Bernie can is rather funny. The Republicans aren't quite as fond of Hillary as you seem to think she is.

If this is really the fear, then we should have all stood behind Jim Webb. It is a little late for that now I think.

snood

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 11:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You seriously expect Sanders to cause the liberals to vote in a republican congress and president? I can't believe you are asking an explanation.

No, I too could use more of an explanation as to why Rabel's scenario was simply answered with 'No'. He posited that 8 years of Bernie's getting nothing done might cause the general public to elect all Republican everything in order to get anything done. What's so clearly wrong?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 11:39 pm
@snood,
Quote:
He posited that 8 years of Bernie's getting nothing done might cause the general public to elect all Republican everything in order to get anything done. What's so clearly wrong?

We have had 6 years of Obama's getting nothing done. Under this theory aren't we already screwed?

The Clinton's got a lot done... the problem was what they got done fit with the Republican agenda. They kept gays in their place, ended "Welfare as we know it", and radically increased our incarceration rate particularly among minorities.

I prefer the Sanders philosophy to the Clinton way.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 12:56 am
@snood,
I'm going to say the answer to his question is so obvious that neither of you should expect an explanation. Are you going to vote a straight republican ticket if Bernie gets nothing done for 8, or even four years?

Are you?
snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:14 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm going to say the answer to his question is so obvious that neither of you should expect an explanation. Are you going to vote a straight republican ticket if Bernie gets nothing done for 8, or even four years?

Are you?

I won't. But I also can't account for all the people who now say they'd vote for "either Bernie or Trump". And you don't know for certain what those people would do if they became totally disillusioned with the promises made by leftwingers.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:59 pm
@roger,
I am asking why you disagree with me. I stated my opinion.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 05:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Not at all Max. I dident say she could do that much better. I said she is more pragmatic like Bill was when he had a republican congress. He took what he could get as will she. Bernie is a my way or the highway type, and will go for 4 or 8 years demanding what he cant get from a republican congress. Like most Bernites you just dismiss congress. None of you are being rational and refuse to face the facts as they are. Or you and Bernie are just lying to yourselves. 10 or 20 years to get rid of a republican house. How about addressing that fact. Or do you believe Bernie will just declare a republican house no longer exists by presidential fiat?
RABEL222

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 05:13 pm
@roger,
Remember all the democratic voters who went for Ronny Raygun? I do.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 05:46 pm
@RABEL222,
There are a couple of problems with that argument

1) You are wrong when you say "Bernie is a my way or the highway type". You are just making that up. Look at his record in Congress... he worked with Republicans.

You are wrong about Bernie's followers. I don't dismiss Congress, and I do accept the facts as they are. Accepting the facts as they are doesn't mean giving up, it means taking them as a starting point.

2) You are wrong about Bill Clinton's record (with Hillary's support).

Bill Clinton didn't just "accept the facts as they were"... in many cases he actively made things worse for political capital. Among these cases I would include.

1) The Defence of Marriage Act signed into law by Bill Clinton, and the Don't Ask don't tell policy. These Clinton policies held LGBT rights back for decades.

2) The "End of Welfare as you know it" policies hurt minorities and force mental ill patients on the street. Bill Clinton campaigned on this... and it hurt us as a country.

3) The tough on Crime bills enacted by Bill Clinton and trumpeted by then First Lady Hillary ended up swelling prison populations and targeted largely minority communities.

We are still feeling the consequences of these bill today.

There is a difference between "pragmatism" and political gamesmanship... you can have both pragmatism and principle. The last Clinton administration didn't govern that way, and there is no reason to think the next on will.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 09:52 pm
@maxdancona,
So he made 3 mistakes in 8 years. Big deal. He governed good enough to be reelected. If she does as good a job as he did I say wonderful. And if you idealists get Bernie into the presential race the republicans are going to hand you your ass on a platter.
0 Replies