Fighting a bogus accident report

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 02:42 pm
My daughter is a new driver which means if she is responsible for an accident she can lose her license.

What happened - she was leaving practice at her high school. There were many cars lined up parked illegally waiting to pick up middle schoolers rehearsing at the high school.

My daughter had little room to pull out from her driving spot went slowly out and the woman parked illegally smiled and waved at her as my daughter managed to get by her.

The next day was a snow day and the athletic director called her at home - he said she had "nudged" this other car's tire and did not stop - according to this woman. My daughter said I honestly did not think I nudged or contacted anyone otherwise I would have stopped. The director then said don't worry she said she just nudged the tire and there was no damage.

A week later my daughter gets called to the office. The school police officer said the woman filed a report stating she had damaged her car door.

What the f*ck - this woman is trying to take advantage of a teen. Some good news -- there is a video camera - from the video you cannot see any contact.

Thoughts on how to handle this as I am livid -- to think some idiot one week waves her off as if to say your ok and then screams at the athletic director that she didn't stop but there is no damage. Then a week later there is damage?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 04:26 pm
@Linkat,
Weird. Glad about the video camera, and the athletic director. Stressed for your daughter.

The woman is either nutsy, or a schemer, or she suddenly noticed a dent that happened in a grocery store parking lot (or similar) at a totally different time. But, her story doesn't fit at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 05:06 pm
@Linkat,
It seems like a case of her word against your daughter's. Let her insurance company handle it; that's what insurance is for. Don't ever claim responsibility.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 05:08 pm
@Linkat,
Why are the school officials getting involved? Smells a little like a scam to me.

Why is the woman filing a report with the school about it?

Does the school keep a record of license plates and vehicle description? If so, I can see the woman getting contact info from them, but why is the school taking accident reports?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 05:10 pm
@Linkat,
Get a certified copy of the video asap.

If there is a police report, let your insurer know asap.
boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:33 pm
Ugh. What a witch.

I have no advice (at least none that's legal).
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
The reason school officials got involved was she complained to the school and either she gave the licence plate number which I suspect and the school has it file.

The report is filed with the police but we have an officer assigned to the schools so they figured it made sense for him to talk to her.

The police and athletic director has been nothing but kind to my daughter and both said there is nothing on the video that indicates there was contact between the cars.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:21 pm
@ehBeth,
I tried to get a copy of the police report but it isn't written up yet. The officer responsible is on training and they don't expect the report until next week as a result. Small town police...I guess.

It is tough because not only would it cause your insurance to go up, but she could lose her liscence. My daughter said I'd hate to lose my liscence for something I didn't do.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:27 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah that has crossed my mind especially being in a small town and knowing the address. Found out that they share ownership of their home...two names on the deed..sounds like a parent owns it and let's them live in it and they operate an electrical business out of the home.

Kid is in drama eight grade played a horse in the play...my 7th grader doesn't know him so he isn't sporty nor cool as she would know him. Alot you can find out doing a quick Internet search.

Their business does not have any ratings yet....hmm mm mm

Nah I will let justice serve...my thoughts were she decided to take advantage of a naive teen to get her ding fixed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:31 pm
@ossobuco,
I looked at the bumper just to see if there was snything...,and believe me this is an old car so there are lots of scratches...did not see anything on the bumper where you would expect it to be.

How would it change from just a nudge on the tire to damage to the door?
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:33 pm
And to top it off now my daughter doesn't want to drive any more.

She did have a good evening though...she was cleared to play after being injured and had an incredible game after being first back and we go off this weekend to visit a potential college to play softballl...will be viewed hitting and playing in field.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:45 pm
Linkat, I suggest you follow ehBeth's advice as soon as possible. Get ahead of any possible legal and insurance issues.
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:59 pm
@roger,
Yeah I will follow up with police and insurance in the morning.

I also plan on telling the insurance company I expect them to investigate and get back to me and not just settle or I will consider changing companies...my fear is if it is a small claim it is easier to just settle rather than fight.

We once pushed on a home owners and the difference was 500 bucks to us small dollars to bother with as an insurance company but for an individual a different story.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:00 pm
@Linkat,
The insurer may be able to determine if there is a pattern of accusations like this that the police don't even know about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:02 pm
@Linkat,
That's what I meant, that the door was either just done by someone else after the parking incident, or it could have already been there..
like you say, a ding fix.
Or, a ding dong fix.
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess you call this a life lesson to your teen how people will try to take advantage of you if you let them.

Also the fact that there are many wealthy people in our town. We were lucky we found a moderate house on a great lot near the well to do neighborhood.

Seeing where they are and considering they are participle owners they may think they are hitting up wealthy family that won't consider fighting.

I'm glad at least it happened where there is a video.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:12 pm
@Linkat,
definitely.

I'm glad for this college visit, the good stuff, to help counteract this.
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree and the game tonight showed her mental toughness after being called to the office and having to speak with the police officer .. not playing for several weeks and then having a great game... and setting up her senior friend that had not had a basket in the game so she could get a 3 pointer in the final seconds of the last home game...it was just a great ending.

She is that sort of person wanting to make sure her friend had her moment.
Linkat

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:00 am
Called the police department this morning. They said it was OK to provide our report on Monday when we get back. Maybe they will have her report d written up?

I called the school to get the video...left a message with the school officer hopefully he can secure it for us.

Called our insurance company. No claim has been filed and didn't file one on our side as there is no damage from our perspective to report. I did discuss that I would want them to thoroughly investigate if a claim against us were to be filed.

Wonder why she didn't file a claim? Or maybe it hasn't reached our insurance company yet? Is she just trying to get my daughter in trouble or hoping we would give her cash to shut her up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:05 pm
@Linkat,
Sounds like the later; she's waiting for the $$$$$.

1. Forums
  2. » Fighting a bogus accident report
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:38:40