Sacrifice

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:06 am
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Philosophy & Debate.

Sacrificing for Fallujah?

Michael Moore has raised more than a few questions to the public over the past months. One of those questions was posed to Bill O'Reilly, host of Fox's talk show The O'Reilly Factor. "Would you sacrifice your child to remove one of the other thirty brutal dictators on this planet?"

Question, would you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 983 • Replies: 14
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:10 am
Only if he/she was an orphan.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:30 am
No.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:43 am
Would you sacrifice your child for anything?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:18 am
The question being asked is in reality would you want to have your child to be put in harms way for the reason stated.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
My point is you wouldn't want your child put in harms way for anything (I would hope) and since it isn't your decision to make how is it based in reality?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:49 am
JPN
I was just trying to clarify, if anyone thought I meant actually sacrifice their child. In retrospect I suppose there was no need to do so.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:12 pm
panzade wrote:
Only if he/she was an orphan.

laugh.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:55 pm
I think this question can be realistic. We are always getting into a new war. The machine needs blood. Feed the machine. Kill the man.

Realistically, we offer up thousands sometimes to destroy just one man, and sometimes the menace lives on. Stomp it out with more blood. Stomp out the stomps. Dent in the earth. Annihilate. Procreate. Feed the blood. Annihilate.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:19 pm
No, not until I am sure that removing a tyrant will also mean bloodshed will end and there will be peace, and not a civilwar ( Rolling Eyes ). But even then, it would be a very difficult decision. I don't think anyone can really say at this point whether he or she will sacrifice his or her child.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:23 pm
With all due respect, this question is irrelevant. No one sacrifices their own children.

The correct question is "would you sacrafice other people's children to remove a dictator"?

That's what's happening.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
Brown
That is the crux of the question. Sure people would and do willingly sacrifice someone else's child. However how many in congress have children in Iraq or Afghanistan? Where are all of Bush's children, nephews and nieces? Where did Bush hide during the Viet Nam war?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:53 pm
People don't force their kids to go to war; our military is full of people who choose it. So to ask if you would "sacrifice your child" is silly.
People sacrifice themselves knowing full well what could come of their decision to enlist in the military. Especially in the last year or so. If you enlist, you are well aware of the danger to be sent overseas.

And if you do have a loved one in the military (I do) you should be proud that they are willing to put others lives ahead of their own. We don't like it but we must understand it is not our decision.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:51 am
I recently saw Michael Moore's latest offering and there was one thing there that I think is pertinent to this topic. It went along these lines: Yes, people choose for themselves to risk or even secrifice their lives for their country, for a cause. The one thing that they ask in return is that their sacrifice not be for a lie, that they don't die for nothing.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:13 am
fortune wrote:
The one thing that they ask in return is that their sacrifice not be for a lie, that they don't die for nothing.

I agree.
0 Replies