Should I seek medical attention?

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 05:54 am
Hi - After waking up this afternoon with 'heartburn'. The issue seems to be persisting.

What happened:
I went to sleep and woke up due to sharp, warm pains in my stomach region. After taking a over the counter variety of antacids (gaviscon) the sharp pain subsided however, there was a continuing, sporadic pain around the same area.

Four hours on the pain keeps returning as (I assume) my stomach refills with acid. I keep my head/upper back elevated and lay on my right side to try and keep the stomach acids furthest away from the pain zone as possible and this does provide some relief, but as soon as I move and anything moves in my stomach the pain returns in full. Continued consumption of antacids does control the sharp pain symptoms however but never causes the more sporadic dull pain to subside. I'm increasingly becoming more nausiated but not allowing myself to vomit. I also haven't passed a stool yet so I wouldn't be able to check for blood.

I was reading that the 'damage' from the stomach acids could have potentially caused a wound and this could be bleeding into my stomach (which could be the cause of the nausea)

The affected area is warm to the touch but not hard, lumpy or swollen. Nevertheless the pain will not subside.

What could be the cause? and if this required direct medical attention or should I just stick with it for 24 hours and see if it passes on its own?

View best answer, chosen by gabe1001
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 06:45 am
@gabe1001,
I would go. Not to alarm you, but people can and do mistake a heart attack for heartburn. And even if it isn't that, it seems that what you are doing is not working for you. Time to call in the big guns.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 07:38 am
Yes. Reflux into your esophagus will cause cancer eventually. There is
also the possibility of inhaling reflux which can cause pneumonia and worse.

See the doctor. Let him decide what your condition requires. Its usually pretty simple.

Listen to Jespah.
jespah

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 08:35 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I had forgotten about the reflux/cancer connection. Good point!
0 Replies

gabe1001

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:33 pm
@jespah,
@bobsal u1553115
Thanks to all - I ended up going to the hospital not long after posting this. They ended up having a look with on of those cameras. There was a burn and it was bleeding and they just gave me some medication to control the pain and some other white liquid (forget the name) that will coat the wound in a membrane that will allow it to heal quickly.

Already feels a lot better.

Thanks for all of your advice. It is appreciated despite the fact I ended up doing the trip before checking back.

Thanks again +1'd you all.

Gabe.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:03 pm
@gabe1001,
Gelusil, I bet. I hear it can be hard to swallow but that it works very well and its been used since the sixties and there's no class action suits about it.

See simple. Just not having to worry about it helps, too, right?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 04:50 pm
@gabe1001,
Oh, whew. Yay!

Glad you're on the road to recovery.
0 Replies