Mafic Amphibolite Bulk Composition

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:25 am
Hello all,

I am in the process of doing some thermodynamic calculations in THERMOCALC and I am in need of a bulk-rock composition which represents a "typical" or general mafic amphibolite (metabasite) but can't seem to find one. Many experiments in literature have used a bulk-rock chemistry of say a typical unaltered Olivine Tholeiite Basalt as representative of an amphibolite facies metabasite, but I do not know if this may be correct (where I am concerned) in modelling phase equilibria for mafic rocks of the lower crust in orogenic belt settings, where they have been metamorphosed/altered or contaminated. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a typical bulk composition for a mafic amphibolite? Or whether a Mid Ocean Ridge Basalt (MORB) can really be used?

Thank you in advance!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 671 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:43 am
@MetPetNut,
why not start with some canadian shield stuff like muskoka bay as compared to mid ocean ridge basalts.

Anyway, metabasites are a collective term so youre probably as good ith a bunch of Mafics.

PS, experience weve had with Thermocalc is that it can get easily confused with many possible reactions involved in your samples, so,

MetPetNut

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 10:18 am
@farmerman,
Hi Farmerman, thank you for the reply. I will have a look at some of the Canadian Shield stuff. Indeed, metabasites are a collective term and I believe the outcome of what I am trying to do is gather a range of mafic-to-intermediate bulk rocks which can represent the lower continental crust as a whole. My advisor has asked me to find something like a bulk composition "X" which represents an average, or represents all of the mafic amphibolites in all orogenic belt settings, so my project can apply to all these localites in general, rather than just one specific composition. But I guess that is not a likely outcome. We initially used an average Morb and Diorite, but it seems unlikely you'd find a Morb in a continental orogenic setting.

Once again thank you for the reply, much appreciated! Have a good one!
Ragman

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 10:35 am
This looks kind of like the English language...but ...? I know it's not supposed to be understood by mortals.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 11:38 am
@Ragman,
Yea Rag, esp not old ones. Sure would have liked a photo, wunt u
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 12:49 pm
@MetPetNut,
Iv always been of interest because of the economic implications, but how bout some continental marginal tholeites.?
MetPetNut

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 02:17 am
@farmerman,
Morning folks, sorry about all the crappy jargon!

Marginal tholeites may work, I will give this a run and see what I come up with. Additionally I found an experimental article by Frank Spear (1981 I believe) which uses an Olivine Tholeiite as a starting composition, representing a large volume of 'typical' amphibolites, this may also work for my purposes. Another avenue for me to go down might be to look at some rift/continental flood basalts, perhaps.
MetPetNut

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 02:21 am
@MetPetNut,
Or another thought...I might take a starting mafic granulite composition and modify the chemistry to add some melt back into it. But that is a last resort.
0 Replies