maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 08:12 pm
Wow! Bernie wins big. He even won among women 53%-47%.

And Kasich has new life as the rational candidate to face Trump.

I would say a good night all around.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 08:51 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
And Kasich has new life as the rational candidate to face Trump.

I like Kasich, but he is not popular enough among conservatives to defeat Trump. Rubio was the only one who could have done so.

Looks like Trump is going to be our next president.

I hope he nominates far-right justices to the Supreme Court when all those liberal justices retire.
0 Replies

puzzledperson

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 09:15 pm
@Lash,
How is it that the cable news networks broadcast the projected winners for both parties while ten percent (or less) of the voter returns were in? Exit polls of a much larger percentage of voters?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 09:32 pm
@puzzledperson,
Exit polling, plus voter models. They know which precincts are strong for each candidate and can see who is doing better or worse than expected in these key precincts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 09:56 pm
Trump and Sanders were the favored going in and good to see them come out on top. I think this was a good win for Kasich. I like him more then the others. I was rooting for Paul, but he dropped. So, Trump then Kasich for me.

Could you imagine a Sanders presidency with Trump VP and running the Senate? Crazy thoughts, sorry.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 09:58 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Could you imagine a Sanders presidency with Trump VP and running the Senate?

sort of

... if someone can figure out how to kick the Congress' ass
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:05 pm
@rosborne979,
That has been my general prediction for a while but man, Rubio really got smacked hard by Christie. I don't know how he can live that down and I think it might be good enough to keep him out of this.

Not just because his flub is a meme, but because the attack on him exposed something that everyone else can do in every single debate from here on out: the man cannot go off-script. Even if you point that out! He'll need a new 25 second speech to memorize about his 25 second speeches being his only stock and store.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:11 pm
@McGentrix,
+1 for putting a truly crazy idea out there but any administration involving Trump is going to just be a big joke on the international stage.

And Trump is not wired to do anything but campaign as a blowhard for attention. I can't imagine him being able to restrain himself with a bully pulpit.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:14 pm
@ehBeth,
That was amazing. Not as immediately powerful as "you're no Jack Kennedy" but right up there in how effective a takedown of a debate opponent.

Unbelievably, the man could not deviate from his memorized lines even when answering an accusation that he could not deviate from his memorized lines.

He'll need some memorized lines for this because I can't imagine that others aren't going to be looking for this now that it's been identified so blatantly on the national stage.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
That has been my general prediction for a while but man, Rubio really got smacked hard by Christie. I don't know how he can live that down and I think it might be good enough to keep him out of this.

Chris Christie will go down in history as the man who made Trump president. Rubio was the only one who had enough appeal to both conservatives and moderates to allow him to beat Trump.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
any administration involving Trump is going to just be a big joke on the international stage.

If any enemy wants to start trouble with us because of Trump, we can still smash them into rubble.

If any friend wants to stop allying with us because of Trump, they are free to leave our protection if that is what they desire.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I see that "you're no Jack Kennedy" line as a mark of shame for the Democratic Party.

When Republicans come up with ideas to help America, Democrats shouldn't always respond with childish name-calling.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:48 pm
@oralloy,
... in the Republican primary. Your wishful thinking on the general election makes you pretend that it ends there for some strange reason. Trump in the general election would be interesting to see and certainly not unbeatable.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 10:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If any enemy wants to start trouble with us because of Trump, we can still smash them into rubble.

Sure but that is stupid. We need our soft power more than we need our hard power. We cannot afford, even if only from an economic perspective, to try to solve all problems with hard power.

Quote:
If any friend wants to stop allying with us because of Trump, they are free to leave our protection if that is what they desire.

You act like this is a schoolyard. Geopolitics is not as simple as being a schoolyard bully.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Sure but that is stupid. We need our soft power more than we need our hard power. We cannot afford, even if only from an economic perspective, to try to solve all problems with hard power.
You act like this is a schoolyard. Geopolitics is not as simple as being a schoolyard bully.

If our friends choose to stop being friends with us, what should we do besides let them go as they please? They're our friends, not our slaves.

I'd hate to be a small country facing the world's predators without the friendship of the US, but if people choose otherwise, that's their choice.
Lash

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:16 pm
@puzzledperson,
I was so uncomfortable with calling it with only 10% reporting! But twS accurate.

What a resounding slap in the face to establishment politics in America! Very heartening! I hope the wave keeps rolling. I think the time is right for a revolution.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:21 pm
@oralloy,
I guess you didn't pick up on the important distinctions I made last time so I'll add links to the terms this time. We should strive to maximize our soft power, it is greater than our hard power.

This is not a schoolyard, it is not a question of who is friends or not. Most countries are driven by complex interests of their own and this is not a binary black or white issue. We are at odds with our closest allies on some matters and cooperate with our most bitter enemies on others. You are making a cartoonishly simple analogy of geopolitical interests and relationships.

As we navigate the many geopolitical interests it behooves us to maximize our soft power. Beating one's chest is no response to this issue at all. It is the antithesis of soft power and we have much more soft power and it is much more useful than we have hard power.
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'd like to be wrong about the nomination, BTW.

I like Kasich the best out of all the candidates, and if I could choose the next president, he'd be my choice.

If this really is the beginning of Kasich emerging to challenge Trump for the nomination, I'll be very happy with that outcome.

I just don't think it's going to happen.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:24 pm
@oralloy,
I would love for one of the saner Republicans to be nominated too. I don't think that the Republicans are going to win this election but it would be nice to see them field stronger candidates and become a more serious party again.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I understand the desirability of soft power, but if we don't have it because of the way the world reacts to our next president, then we have no choice but to live without it.

If there is any consolation, most of the negative effects of a loss of our soft power will fall on the rest of the world. The mere existence of our hard power will protect US soil even without us using it.

Unless you have some idea for preserving our soft power even with a President Trump. Preserving soft power is well beyond my skillset. I can recognize its desirability, but have no idea how to go about building and/or maintaining it.