When Fast Food 'Healthy' is Far Worse Than Fast Food Junk?

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 03:05 pm
McDonald’s New Kale Salad Has More Calories Than a Big Mac

So who goes to a national fast food chain and thinks I'm eating healthy and ordering the salad?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,163 • Replies: 8
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 03:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
So who goes to a national fast food chain and thinks I'm eating healthy and ordering the salad?

dummies?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's like when I found out plain bagels have more calories (and fat?) than plain donuts.

and muffins

muffins are calorie and fat bombs

don't give me a muffin and tell me it's the healthy choice
roger

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:22 pm
@ehBeth,
In stores around here, a muffin is nothing but a really large cupcake.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:27 pm
@roger,
ick

that's even worse

they're pretty distinctly different - in baking terms
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:42 pm
@ehBeth,
I haven't made my own bagels yet, threaten to, have the ingredients, fail re just doing it. But I do make my own bialy's, from a good recipe, and those beat the stuff at the local donut shoppe by a very wide margin, simply for taste. I'd say, beat donut shop out of the park. Also, they are actually easy to make. Whether or not they are fattening, somehow bad for you? I dunno.

I need at least some carbs - now being older and thinner - and these are at least tasty carbs with no additives. I get carbs in bunches of ways, not usually donuts, but I will eat a vanilla cream donut shop item from time to time very happily.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's the recipe, for anyone so inclined to play...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/27/black-olive-bialy-recipe-baking

It's easier for me. When I buy onions I buy them in large amounts and caramelize them (not hard, I use Russ Parson's take on it, which I've described here many times). So, that saves me from a lot of recipes of different sorts' complications. I just open my glass jar from the freezer.
Of course they do well in the bialy.
0 Replies

LoneJogger

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:52 am
The fast food chains are obvious. What's deceptive is going into a health food store and buying one of their ready made deals without checking the ingredients first. I haven't really had to worry about that stuff so much (or maybe I should worry about it but haven't). However, my sister is obsessive about what's in her food (with good reason, I'm sure) and she's constantly telling me how bad a lot of the pre-prepared "health" food is at our local nature mart.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 09:51 pm
@LoneJogger,
Usually, it's because they contain too much salt.
0 Replies