do you guys think personality comes from your experiences or it just came your parents

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 05:31 pm
What do you guys think
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,224 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 05:58 pm
@wanttoknow2,
I'm not a psychologist or other pro studier of human behavior - I'll just say what I think off hand:

- your very being as a tiny body will influence you, who you focus on, how you deal with diaper rash if you have diapers and otherwise
- whoever you are staying with in your very early years will influence you, whether or not they are your actual parents
- your brain may vary from those people and lead to other attention
- I assume genetic parents brains may matter for how yours shows up, to some extent. but I don't take it as the whole story at all
- personality is a subject unto itself.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 06:10 pm
@wanttoknow2,
From a zillion and one choices you make. We are a self-programming species.
0 Replies

uresda1

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:33 am
@wanttoknow2,
Psychological science uses twin studies to estimate how much of one's personality depends on the genotype and to which extend the environment you are reared in gives credit to how you are. In these studies psychologists access the personalities of identical twins reared together (same environment) and identical twins reared apart from each other. Since twins have the same genotype, the only thing varied in these study settings is the environment the twins are reared in. These studies report heritabilities of personality traits ranging from 40% or more to 10% or less. One has to differentiate between personality traits. The temperament one has depends more on one's genotype than the traits like openness to new experience or how agreeable one is.

I would therefor say, that personality is a complex mix genetic predisposition and experience. But according to the current state of psychological research personal experiences have a bigger influence on the personality than genes.
0 Replies