What was your most important/formative experience of art/culture?

panzade

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 03:36 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
but I have a "Lap steel"

I knew we had a deep connection.
This is my "lap" steel.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/panzade/lap%20steel_zpstlszwocy.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 05:39 am
@panzade,
neat. Mines a very old National, that I got at a yard sale a long time ago. I like it and its in a really sturdy old case that I had relined with new fuzzy material.
There were sheets of music hand done , in the inner liner It was pretty lame stuff (seemed like covers of old 30's music).
Do you do any unusual tunings when you play?

My dobro inspiration is listening to Jerry Douglas cuts when in the studio. Jerry Douglas , Keith Jarrett or Mozart, six a one.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 07:55 am
The alegory of the cavern from Plato when I was 12 brought me unconditioal passion for Philosophy, and Cosmos from Carl Sagan confirmed later my fashination with outer space since I was 4 with Legos and Star Treck and Galactica from the early eighty's. Poetry I first tried around 12 and it wasn't terrible so I carried on with it....my main inspiration from literature are the classics but specially the Book of Disquiet from Fernando Pessoa. Probably still my favorite read yet. I keep coming back randomly through its pages looking to its insights on existence and the awkard situation of the modern man in the world. I gave up on drawing when I was 16 and understood the difference from doing good and being acttually blessed with true talent. Never draw anything else since then. The most arrogant and totally idiot thing I do on request now is teaching interpretation of music to one my best friends with a PHD on piano and my life companion which is a lyric singer. I can't read a score or play a children's toon on any instrument...still they think I can help go figure.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:49 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
. . . who mentioned at the Metropolitan Museum that she wasn't interested
in looking at pictures of people she didn't know . . .
Priceless
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:46 am
@George,
One thing is true, the lady was honest and bold, I like her already !
Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 05:23 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
More motherisms for those interested.

http://able2know.org/topic/10418-3

http://able2know.org/topic/10418-4

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 05:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
(See George and Roberta above)

I remember going through the main gallery in the city of Lucca, Italy; I forget the name of it, a city or state type gallery. I was the only visitor, some time on some day in April, and the only apparent employee showed me around. Very well dressed employee: I vaguely remember liking her rose colored suit, which of course I didn't mention. I wore my usual many times washed black Travel Suit, boring as all get out but not completely horrible as travel clothes go. It was something like my twentieth day wearing it, as I travel light, just a duffle bag and biggish purse. As usual, I spoke poor italian but could convey basic concepts, and she spoke, as usual, a bit better english than my italian.

Outside in the garden, it was beautiful, and wonderful statues lined the passageway to the main entry. Inside, I remember a zillion portraits, or so it seemed.

We came to a painting I actually liked (I can like portraits, just not particularly those that day). This last painting had several people in it, and I was fixed on how expressive the arm and hand placements were, fairly formal and not especially obvious, but tying the portrait sitters together by touch or gesture or just a finger showing up. Then I tried to convey that in italian.. and english.. and pointing.. and gesturing.
She probably thought I was nuts, or maybe "simple".
Thing is, nearly twenty years later, I remember where the painting was in the room, remember the wave of actually enjoying one of the paintings in that somber sort of room.

Naturally, that was a local collection of likely memorable people in the area, who I might even be interested in if I read up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:12 pm
@Roberta,
Oh, I am so glad to see those again.

I may be the person that thumbed them up, a no no to me since that was 2003, when thumbs didn't exist here yet. I'm not testing it to find out if that was me, involuntarily thumbing from happiness. I'd have to thumb them down to fix it, oy gevoldt, and then I couldn't see them.

Did your mother ever slightly grin when she said these wonderfuls?
I think my mother was the opposite of yours, somehow. Interesting that you and I get along.

I'll add as time hasn't yet run out on editing -
my parents were movie studio people at a time when there was an irish contingent and a jewish contingent in so called Hollywood. I gotta say, from my memory and from photos of identified pals, there was no rancor.
Well, of course, some towards uncle Felix, who was disbarred, or pleasantly left, and later went to sea. Went to sea, as in being captain on the Hawaiian Farmer.

That still counts as cultural.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I may be the person that thumbed them up,

if the thumbs look green to you - you thumbed whatever it is up

if they're plain, not you
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I'd momentarily wondered about that greenie thing several times.

Hah, it wasn't me.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:14 am
@Robert Gentel,
**** Robert, I didn't know you had that kind of a past.
How did you get out of it?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:16 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I'm very lucky.
My parents brought culture and art to our home from their life abroad.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/panzade/Mum%20amp%20Dad_zpsdwnfabsq.jpg
My father was a commercial artist(book covers, posters and architectural renderings.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/panzade/Tucuman_zpswxnx94hr.jpg
My mother did child portraits.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/panzade/Gab-Sammy_zps8mryefhj.jpg
The house was filled with music. Argentine, American and Australian folk music. Plus all the classics.

I was forever taking piano , accordion and recorder lessons.

A huge bookshelf was filled with art books, biographies and fiction.

I started playing music professionally at the age of 23. I never stopped.
I never will.
It's my passion

Amazing! What a beautiful photo.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:22 am
Thank you for all the amazing responses.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 03:45 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
On our recent visit to Hawaii, we visited the Honolulu Museum of Art. They have some European masters as well as local and many Asian art works.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 04:02 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I plain old love the photo of Panzade's parents. Straightforward people, eyes that look right at you, good faces.
Also of the child, whom I'm guessing might be Panz. The dog is not bad either..
Oh, and the streetscape by his dad, terrific.
panzade

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, they would have loved meeting you.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 05:55 pm
@panzade,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:57 am
Writing The Representative, from the end of 2011 to July 2013. I learned to trust my own instincts, and to just listen to my own heart.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:20 am
@Thomas33,
I'm not sure about important or formative experience of art or culture, but loved to draw when I was young. My interest in art have stayed with me, and have been fortunate to have visited some of the worlds great art museums. The Art Gallery in London, the Hermitage in Moscow, del Prado in Madrid, Museo National de Arte in Mexico City, Louvre and Musee de Orsay in Paris, Art Institute in Chicago, Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, and the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco.
0 Replies