Lash

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 06:50 pm
CNN reports high levels of registration at caucuses. We all know what that may hint at, but I am too afraid to hope.

I'm staying up all night.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 9,467 • Replies: 215

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 06:51 pm
Not a story yet - just a banner.

http://www.cnn.com/

If you find better news, for god's sake, tell me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 07:57 pm
@Lash,
Sanders is polling 81% among young voters vs Clinton's 11%

Not surprising, but it doesn't bode well for Clinton in the general election if she wins the nomination.

I can see a lot of young voters staying home on Election Day, particularly if there is any reason at all to believe she jobbed Bernie.

Earlier today I saw Jack Welch warn that hoping Clinton is indicted is a mistake because if she is, Biden will take the nomination and run Elizabeth Warren for VP, and they will be tougher to beat than Clinton.

I don't agree with Welch and especially if Sanders wins Iowa and New Hampshire. If he does, Biden coming in late and somehow getting the nomination is going to infuriate Sanders supporters to the point where they will not only not vote for Biden some may even vote for Trump (if he's the GOP candidate). I recently read that there is a fairly large segment of the Sanders youth vote who indicate that Trump is their second choice. Warren appeals to a lot of liberals but I don't think she attracts young people.

This is a very intriguing election cycle for both parties. I just wish it wasn't going to impact us so greatly. Otherwise I could enjoy this crazy **** a lot more.
jcboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Sanders is polling 81% among young voters vs Clinton's 11%

Link?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:25 pm
@jcboy,
No link. It was in a graphic displayed on TV. If you put garlic and a crucifix around your neck and brave entering the FOX News website you will probably find the graphic there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I laughed and cringed at your information....not in that order, i don't think. I'm totally losing it.

I'm reading 10 sites and viewing three.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. People I know in Iowa are reporting crazy wonderful things, graft, thievery, and transcendence. WTF is happening.

Good things like you report about millennials for Bernie. Cheaty things like paid staff acting as precinct captains for Hillary. No surprises.

I doubt I'll sleep tonight.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
Here's a breakdown from CNN

Basically, Bernie just wipes the floor with Clinton, among those under 40. Clinton's ahead with people over 40. Sanders will need to get out the vote with the young, a group that traditionally has a low turnout.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:38 pm
MSNBC reports Democrat race too close to call. Bernie - 48% Hillary - 52%

GOP race also too close to call
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:45 pm
@glitterbag,
There was an upswing in voters 18 to 24 in the 2008 presidential election. Maybe, it'll repeat in 2016.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:48 pm
@glitterbag,
That's what I hear. Rubio putting in a surprising showing.

The big news of the night: unprecedented new caucus-goers. New people showing up to be counted. That would seem to trend toward Sanders and Trump.

I have friends on the ground reporting wild things.
Lash

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 09:03 pm
@Lash,
They say O'Malley's out ("suspending campaign") due to poor showing in Iowa.

Apologies for no links, but these are CNN banners prior to copy.

And good on him.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 09:12 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

They say O'Malley's out ("suspending campaign") due to poor showing in Iowa.

Apologies for no links, but these are CNN banners prior to copy.

And good on him.

Good for the country. He would make a horrible president.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 10:01 pm
Shite. It's Cruz. That Koch $$.

Clinton and Sanders within 1% point.
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 10:18 pm
@Lash,
It will shake out as these lower tier candidates give up. Trump needs to be soundly defeated soon so his ego can be coaxed back into the YOG SOTHOTH cage. Cruz is , at least, predictable as a conservative "Ricky Santorum Light"
IOWANS , have begun to restore some of my confidence in our national intelligence.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Yog-Sothoth_couleur.jpg
This is YOG SOTHOTH(he whose name must not be spoken) He whose hair is just like Trump

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 12:45 am
Thus far it looks like tonight's winners, in order of momentum gained are

Rubio
Sanders
Cruz

Losers in order of momentum lost are

Clinton
Trump

Even if Clinton scratches out a slight win, what Sanders has done in Iowa is pretty amazing considering where he stood when the whole thing started up almost a year ago. I think this is due less to his skills as a politician and/or orator, (They are pretty meager on both counts) than the fact that a very large segment of liberals/Democrats (most especially young ones) are really sick of politics in this country, as personified by Hillary Clinton.

The same thing is, of course, at play with the GOP and no matter what happens in the end, the revulsion and revolt of the American voter is going to be the story of this election, and likely to have an enormous impact on politics moving forward. Even if the establishments of both parties are able to somehow squeak through in the end, they would have to be insane to believe this was a one time aberration.

Even if he is a close second, Sanders will move to New Hampshire and a win there. Clinton has to be in a panic. I still don't believe Sanders will pull it off, but he may get juiced up enough to run as an independent. Nothing he's said so far indicates he's inclined to do so, but he's going to have throngs of full-throated supporters calling for him to do so and if he feels like he was jobbed by the Clinton Machine he might relent. If he does, her chances of winning the presidency are gone.

Unless he was being fed up to the minute polling date that told him otherwise, I think Trump was pretty confident that he was going to win tonight, and if he didn't, it would be very close but it would turn out to be a two man race and New Hampshire would finish off Cruz. Is this the beginning of the decline and fall of Trump? I hope so, but am not sanguine in this regard. As well, Trump is probably a better bet than Sanders to run as an independent if he doesn't win the nomination. If he does, I think he will siphon off some Democrat votes, but nowhere near enough. The GOP candidate will likely be toast.

It would be something though if both Sanders and Trump run as independents. What a wild ride that wpuld be.

Cruz had to win Iowa or he was finished, but he has to now be worried about Rubio. Cruz has counted on gaining the Trump voters if and when he finished off the Donald, but he now has to worry about Rubio collecting all of the non-Trump, non-Cruz support. If people like Bush and Christie really are concerned about Trump (and to a lesser extent Cruz) becoming president, they should pull out of the race and support Rubio in New Hampshire. They won't though. Both (along with Kasich) believe that NH can be their turning point.

I was hoping for Rubio to come in second and beat either Trump or Cruz, but I still think he's a winner for narrowing the gap so much. Before tonight he was a weak third place holder, now it looks like he is right in the thick of it and when you look like you can win the whole thing, you attract support from both donors and voters.
Blickers

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 01:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
Even if he is a close second, Sanders will move to New Hampshire and a win there. Clinton has to be in a panic. I still don't believe Sanders will pull it off, but he may get juiced up enough to run as an independent. Nothing he's said so far indicates he's inclined to do so, but he's going to have throngs of full-throated supporters calling for him to do so and if he feels like he was jobbed by the Clinton Machine he might relent.

Where do you get this stuff, StopHillary.com?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 04:26 am
I hope Bernie won't let this go.
http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4578575/clinton-voter-fraud-polk-county-iowa-caucus
Clinton caught cheating.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 04:54 am
@Lash,
Does this surprise anyone?
Lash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 04:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Not in the least.

At least there is footage of it. I think there may be a recount and investigation. People who were caucusing say the precinct results were WAY off based on what they witnessed and how the precinct numbers turned out. Bernie actually won by several points based on numbers from actually Iowans there.

She's buying the presidency, polling place by polling place.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 05:21 am
In other news, it looks like Trump's ride may be over. Evangelicals seem to sway the GOP vote. I thought this new riffraff following would translate to votes, but looks like not.

I wonder if a Koch-backed Cruz is worse.