Issues housebreaking 2 - 6 month old puppies

hruehl

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 07:49 pm
Hi there!
I have 2 (yes, 2) 6 month old male/female beagle/border collie littermate rescues that I adopted in early November.
I love these puppies to death but THEY WILL NOT STOP PEEING IN MY HOUSE!
As of late last week, we went 6 whole days with NO accidents. I was so hopeful, but as of yesterday, that all went out the window.
Here is what a typical day in the life of Finn and Gracie looks like:
- Wake up at 5 a.m. and go directly outside. Typically #1 several times and #2
- Come in and eat. I take them out again 30-40 mins later (surprisingly, they never go potty inside during this time frame)
-Come in and play for about 30-40 minutes and in the crate from 7 - 12 when the dog walker comes
-Back in the crate until I get home at 5:30 and immediately outside
-Eat and back out 30-40 mins later
-Play for 30-40 mins (this is when they start going potty) and it can either be one of them or both of them and its always #1
-Outside for last potty break between 9-9:30
-Light play for 15-20 mins
-Bedtime between 9:30-10
-Sleep in crate (no pottying in here)
Everyone keeps telling me to just put them right back in the crate as soon as I bring them in from outside and then take them out an hour later..but I feel like these puppies are crated 8 hours a day, theyre a mix of high energy breeds, they need some play time. I have tried taking them out, setting a timer for 30 mins and then putting them in their crate. In this 30 mins, someone will still pee. And I can be standing right beside them. Ive tried putting them in a very small area in the kitchen -- they pee. The only place they dont is their crate. Ive had them both checked for UTIs -- and both were fine.
I am in a 4th floor apartment, and I know that is some of the issue, however, we are on such a strict schedule I cant understand why its not clicking. The ONLY time the 4th floor is really a problem is when they do have an accident, by the time we get downstairs they dont know why theyre there really, though they do potty. Im thinking of putting a piece of astro turf on my balcony for at least accidents?

Does anyone have any suggestions or corrections for me??? I dont know what Im doing wrong but its got to be something. I know these guys can hold it for more than 30 minutes, they just dont know theyre supposed to.

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:37 pm
@hruehl,
have your wire cages with newspapers? Keep em around with the cage doors OPEN. Dont be rough, whenever they unload in a corner, just pick em up and gently take em into their cages and praise em. They will pick up the cage=pee place relationship in a day or so. Then begin on the house breaking by moving their cages outside and then they get itt. If they "break the rules" just carry or lad them to their cage and keep the praise going. They are just like kids except they dont feel the world is revolving around them. I just think your dogges are alone without the firm yet gentle pee pee hand . Youre gone much of the day and I dont think they feel the cage is a plce that they want to go .
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 10:23 pm
@farmerman,
I'm betting that a beagle-border collie mix has got to be high energy. The only thing else I can add it that when you are outside with the puppies, try to get them to play hard. A worn out puppy is a happy puppy less likely to have accidents.

Good luck, you are very brave to bring two puppies home. Have fun.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:26 pm
@hruehl,
What training are you doing with them?
hruehl

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Finn (the male) has been through a basic obedience class (and did quite well). Gracie (female) is getting ready to go to puppy kindergarten (shes a little less mature then her brother and I though she needed a little basic course) next week.
Both know how to sit, down, come (they may or may not choose to do it at this point).
I have them signed up for a puppy daycare. I thought about pulling them out until theyre housebroken. I dont want them to get even more confused as they are "allowed" to pee inside - meaning no one is actively taking them out every hour (though they are walked 3 times per day). But I like the idea of a tired puppy Smile
hruehl

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:48 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes this is quite true. I have noticed that the harder they play and more tuckered out they are the less they potty.

Thank you - I need all the luck I can get.....Im not quite sure 'brave' is the word Id use to decide to get two puppies at once -- 'stupid' comes to mind Smile
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:53 pm
@hruehl,
Trained and tired is good. I think they need more active play time. With border collie in the mix they are dogs that need mental and physical stimulus so that they won't get into trouble.

They may need puppy pee pads during the transitional period to full bladder control. There's no shame in having those available - praise them for using the pee pads if they need them.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 12:02 am
@hruehl,
I brought home a 3 month old Vizsla and two months later brought home an 8 week old springer spaniel, it was nuts. That happened about 25 years ago, but I was younger, my husband was younger and our oldest was living at home and commuting to college. So we had backup, and it was a lot of work but it was also a lot of fun. Both girls lived long lives and when they left for dog heaven the house seemed very quiet, too quiet. Now we have 2 more Vizslas, one about 8 and the younger is 6. We really enjoy their company and now we have a granddaughter who is nuts about the dogs and the dogs are nuts for her, I'm hoping both dogs live to a ripe Vizsla age, but we continue to get older and I don't think I will have the stamina to raise puppies again, but we can rescue older dogs.

P.S. both beagles and border collies love to have jobs. I don't mean a real job, but something they can do for you or for your entertainment. My dogs still get in trouble when they are bored, keep leather and suede items out of reach, and chances are if they chew something, it's usually your fault (I know it's my fault if get into things they shouldn't)
0 Replies