Legal Question

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 06:36 am
Hi all,
I am doing a legal quiz. It is very difficult,please help.

When Harry met Sally, he asked, "Why are you so upset?" Sally replied that she needed to mow the lawn by the next morning, but had lots of schoolwork to complete. Harry slipped into Sally's lawn that afternoon when she had gone to school, and mowed the lawn for her. When Sally returned, she was very happy, and promised to pay Harry $50 for his kind act. Which of the following statements is false?

a)Sally made a valid contract with Harry to pay him for mowing her lawn.

b)Harry was not entitled to insist on being paid $50 because he mowed the lawn before Sally promised to pay him.

c)Sally can refuse to pay Harry the $50 that she promised to pay him.

d)If Sally had promised to pay Harry for mowing the lawn before he did the job, it would be a valid contract that Harry can enforce in Court.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,071 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Loh Jane

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 06:57 am
@Loh Jane,
I guess the answer is b.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 02:41 pm
She was under no obligation to pay for a job that she did not ask to be done, but she did go ahead and promise to pay him.

She should have thanked him and walked away. She complicated things by promising payment.

They want the FALSE statement. I think it's C.
Ragman

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 02:52 pm
@Loh Jane,
There's a humorous (ironic) saying here in the States that "a verbal contract is not worth the paper it's printed on!"
I don't believe that with US the legal practice that legally a verbal agreement carries any weight in a court of law; however, that being said, but I'm no lawyer.

Also I don't think that you're in US..so I'm not sure how we in US can advise you properly?
timur

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 03:04 pm
@Ragman,
We obviously can, when it comes to movies :

When Harry met Sally
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 03:31 pm
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/01/06/verbal-contract/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 05:43 pm
@PUNKEY,
Disagree, at least in the US. I've no idea of law of contract in SG, but in the US, one of the elements of contract is mutual benefit. Since the lawn was already mowed, she received no benefit by promising to pay for something already done when there was no prior agreement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 06:19 pm
@Ragman,
Some of U.S. culture does use verbal agreement with a handshake; my old and best boss did. He is japanese american and he had many chinese clients, and a handshake was it. They would often hire him for more work on other projects and recommend him/us to others. Of course, that was all preceded with lengthy discussion, and not all of their projects were that way, given the complexities of architecture, but it happened fairly often. A letter of understanding would follow, but that was fairly short, one page, max two. It was the handshake that mattered.

Alternately, the majority of our jobs, in a more ordinary business culture with more usual business circumstances had all matters nailed down at length.
0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 10:23 pm
Thanks, the answer is a.
Ragman

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 10:51 am
@Loh Jane,
I'm still unclear as to whether or not you are in USA or another country?
roger

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 05:06 pm
@Ragman,
She is in Singapore, often abbreviated as SG.
0 Replies

Shineseyal

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 03:39 am
@Loh Jane,
It's A
roger

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 04:10 am
@Shineseyal,
Brilliant. Just brilliant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:07 am