Police Officer Accidentally Shoots Motorcyclist, Blames Muscle Memory - Video

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:36 pm
Police Officer Accidentally Shoots Motorcyclist, Blames Muscle Memory - Video

Footage has surfaced of a Minnesota police officer accidentally shooting a motorcyclist after stopping him for speeding. And what follows is one of the most Minnesota situation ever.

The shooting took place last June in the Twin Cities suburb of Eden Prairie, but video of the incident was only recently uncovered by local television station KMSP. In the video, Eden Prairie Police Sgt. Lonnie Soppeland pursues 21-year-old motorcyclist Matthew Hovland-Knase at speeds reportedly in excess of 100 mph. Eventually, the latter slows his motorcycle and pulls into the dirt shoulder of the road.

Soppeland quickly steps out of his patrol car, and in the process of shouting, "Get your hands where I can see him," fires a shot that hits Hovland-Knase in the arm.

In the unedited version of the video, Soppeland can be heard hissing, "Oh, sh*t. F*ck. F*ck," in much the same tone one might use after spilling really hot coffee into one's lap.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/police-officer-accidentally-shoots-motorcyclist-160004024.html

I have noticed several times in police shooting videos that the officers fire (usually two shots) immediately after drawing. That s exactly how they train on the range- draw, fire two shots, evaluate. It may be time to reconsider that routine as people will resort to base training under stress.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,120 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:40 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
At first it sounds like a bad excuse but reading the whole article it does seem like it was clearly a mistake (even the victim agreed) and was a surprisingly polite exchange.

No idea if the training is worth changing but it sounds like an interesting thing to look into, and not the kind of dynamic I expected to be in a police shooting story.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think police training over emphasizes being sure to get the first shot in. Even in situations where the suspect has no arms or isn't even resisting arrest, just like in this video.
BillRM

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Given a 100 mph plus chase the officer body was likely flooded with adrenaline.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:45 pm
Quote:
"Get your hands where I can see him,"

Here's the thing. Having watched (and enjoyed) both TV series of "Fargo", plus the movie, I know they talk funny in Minnesota, but I didn't know they talked that funny.

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:32 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
It's a Scandinavian thing.

0 Replies