I give up on all things in this life

Glennn

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 05:04 pm
@MozartLink,
I was like you once. Someone told me that perhaps my body was not producing serotonin. I responded by saying that, without serotonin, we see this place for what it is--a death camp--and that God knew he had to keep us doped up in order for us to not become depressed while surrounded by it. I can't really explain how I climbed out of that hole, but I can tell you that it was a gradual process.

Our lives here are temporary. We're all terminal.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 05:48 pm
@MozartLink,
You're going to need more than Prozac or Cymbalta for transcendence, but they can get you on a even keel...then try peyote.

Edit: Or meditation. It's a lot more difficult, but there is no risk of a psychotic episode.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 06:52 pm
Other possible (if temporary) fixes I have had success with when I found myself depressed.

Also note that depression can be quite liberating if you approach it in the right way. Allows you to consider things you ordinarily might not think of.

A really fast motorcycle ride. (WTF, you're ready to die, right?)
Spending a day at the race track on open track days. (any old car is allowed)
Drugs (legal or not)
Having that really, truly, honest to God talk with Him. (say ANYTHING you want)
Do the first thing that occurs to you that you want to do at that moment. (really, ANYTHING that doesn't harm others)
Fly drunk (its not as crazy as it sounds)

I found that this combination eventually cured my depression.
As always, Your mileage may vary.
MozartLink

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 08:53 am
@Leadfoot,
Thanks. But could you answer the question I asked in my previous post?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 10:15 am
@MozartLink,
Quote:
If I were to find that new sense of joy and meaning in my life somehow which is a non-hedonistic version of joy and meaning that does not come through physical pleasure (good moods), then what would that experience be like for me? Is it nothing more than the experience of just simply dealing with your depression/absence of pleasure while having the mindset of moving forward, pursuing your goals/dreams, and doing something with your life?
I was answering that question in a way. The activities I mentioned were a few that pulled me out of 'just dealing' with depression and gave me actual pleasure. What I'm saying is - Don't be afraid to be totally hedonistic and don't feel guilty about it. I mean, if you are at the point where death seems more appealing than life, who CARES if it looks or even is hedonistic.
OR, Are you saying that even without any external or internal restraints there is nothing you can think of that gives you pleasure?

You have implied that you value seeing the meaning in life. Personally, I have gotten more pleasure in the search for that meaning than anything else I've done (and I've done a lot). I think it is the most gratifying, joyous, thrilling, dangerous pursuit you could ever find. It requires neither good health, money, other people's help, approval or anything else in order to pursue it. You have everything you need.

0 Replies