It's just snow, the world is not coming to an end

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:20 pm
Well, it's 11:12 EST in Annapolis, Maryland. We have been hearing about the end-of-world snow storm since Wed. earlier this week. My SIL in Marble Falls, Texas sent me a text asking if we have enough TP. She was born and raised in MD so she understands the silliness of the hype.

We probably will get a ton of snow, but snow isn't the big problem. We are expecting high winds starting about 1 AM, that might drop trees on the power lines. If we don't have power, we don't have water or septic, and believe me that sucks.

So, anyhow, snow has dropped on Maryland for many years. This won't be the end of the world, just inconvenient for those of us with well water.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,206 • Replies: 9

View best answer, chosen by glitterbag
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:22 pm
@glitterbag,
I know why I love living in Silicon Valley.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I can deal with the snow, it just makes me crazy the way the media is reporting this weather issue. Weather reporters are shouting at the tv audience as if it has never snowed before. I might just buy some tickets for me and the other glitters, and wing our way out to California. How about it, CI, how would you like to host a few glitterbugettes for a few days until we can find accommodations. I promise to bring all my grandmothers recipes, and towels for the pool. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:32 pm
@glitterbag,
Hook up a generator and all will be fine.

Friends in the DC suburbs and Virginia have got theirs set up in prep for overnight power loss.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Beth, Ive been arguing with mr. g'bag for far too many years about a freaking generator. We live on the corner of a one acre lot and it would be visible to the traffic, and the homeowners association has a negative views about the generator. One thing I will say, is that if we loose power tonight and it lasts longer than 12 hours, I will call the company and get that damned generator either buried or otherwise not an eyesore, set up STAT. I'm so freeking sick of losing power, toilets, running water and all the other comforts of 21st century life that I absolutely refuse to live another day.

I don't know how easily the rest of the world can simply buy a generator, hook it up and live happily ever after, but we can't do it in January 2016 in the State of Maryland. So now that I have explained all this, I think I will drag mr. g'bag out of bed and just start screaming "I told you to get the generator, dammit" and repeat it until his ears bleed. It won't solve the problem, but thanks for the inspiration.
Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Many people put up a 'privacy' screen or a tall bush to obscure it. Some even put the generators in their garage or behind it. This might be an not-so-cheap issue but it can be overcome. Media hype is over-blown and fear-mongering I agree, but losing your power is no small matter.

It appears with climate change, mid-Atlantic is now as bad as New England and upstate ME. I personally spent from Dec 1 2009 to end of March 2010 in no. Springfield, VA...running from bad brutal winter in upstate NY only to get blasted by SEVERAL blizzards nor-Easter during that winter. I had a hellacious time with my then-s.o. which would have been helped immensely with a back-up generator.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:21 pm
I give a standing O to glitter.

Hype. Weather hype. Every rainstorm isn't the end of the world. Every snowstorm is also not the end of the world. I grew up in New York. In the winter it's cold, and sometimes it snows. Every time the weather is cold, we're not living under Arctic conditions. Know what else? In the summer it's hot and humid. Quelle suprise.

Hey weather people. Shut the hell up.
George
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:07 pm
Weatherfolk don't get to be in the spotlight that often. They're like actors
with small parts who chew the scenery when their time comes.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:11 pm
@George,
A'int that the truth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 09:19 pm
@Roberta,
I love NYC. Never tire of visiting the city, and I walk a whole lot to see it first hand. The double-decker tour bus is a good way to cover most of the important areas, then walk to really absorb what NYC is all about. Enjoy stopping at different eateries.
0 Replies