Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Builder

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:18 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Yes, I trust the US government's figures on such things as debt and inflation adjusted GDP.

That's all we need to know, really. Your research isn't research at all.
Blickers

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:28 am
@Builder,
The figures I used are the figures the entire financial world uses. It's an intricate web and if these figures were not accurate, the entire world economy would have collapsed a long time ago.

You're selling smoke and mirrors. When it gets to the point that you are reduced to trying to mock someone for using the accepted figures which keep the world running, your Doomsday scenarios are exposed as fiction.
Builder

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:41 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
... using the accepted figures which keep the world running,.....

There it is in a nutshell. ...keep the world running.....

We need a world that is prosperous for all people. Not one that keeps running the same way it has since the start of the industrial age, to benefit only the few.

There's no end to the evidence that QE has failed. The federal reserve has admitted to it. That points clearly to the figures you're relying upon being staged.

Nobody is fooled, except the uninformed. That would include your good self, blinkers.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:34 am
I stopped believing in official figures a long time ago. Like who in his right mind can accept that 2+2 is 4??? I don't even trust the phone book anymore... Drunk
Builder

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 01:39 am
@Olivier5,
They still do phone books in your region?

Geebus.

Those "official figures" sent many nations to war in Iraq. How the hell "intell" worked out that Saudi hijackers justified invading Iraq , is a headscratcher, but they convinced (momentarily) a lot of supporters. Got the gold, though.

Who'da thunk they could be so far off the money?
Olivier5

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:05 am
@Builder,
Just because two (02) countries, the US and the UK, cooked up fake intelligence about Iraq in order to justify their oil lust doesn't mean that we should always doubt all official data about everything...

Just because there are liars in this world doesn't mean you can't trust anyone. It means you should be careful about whom you trust.

So be careful not to trust too many liars, Builder. Mistrusting the "mainstream media" is fine, but don't you go trust crazy frindge youtube videos too much, or you'll end up believing that the Marsians are among us.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 02:45 pm
More people favour either staying in the EU or close ties with the bloc as opposed to the hard Brexit apparently being pursued by Theresa May, a poll has revealed.

A YouGov survey found just 39 per cent of people backed a hard Brexit, even if it meant having no free trade agreement with the EU, while 47 per cent backed a softer approach.

Quote:
http://i68.tinypic.com/2zfiohi.jpg

Full report/survey
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 07:15 pm
@Builder,
Quote Builder:
Quote:
Those "official figures" sent many nations to war in Iraq.

So now you are going to try to convince the board that there is essentially no difference between military intelligence and everyday economic figures which have been collected for decades?

Businesses and financial institutions, let alone nations and legislatures, make decisions based on those economic figures. If those economic figures for the US, considering its central role in the world economy, are not accurate, the economy of the whole world would have gone right down the tubes a long time ago. I already told you that. You have no answer,so you ignored the question.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 07:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Theresa May’s speech was a thinly-veiled threat to turn the UK into a tax haven in my opinion.
But as expected: the result of close-run referendum will become an extremely hard Brexit. However, those who regret this, will at least be able to plan on that basis.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 03:40 pm
@Blickers,
There's much truth in what you say, but when it comes to economics, don't be too sure about analysis of the world's economies, because it's not science.

Blickers

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Predicting future economic results is not a sure thing. Understanding that the US has been collecting basic economic information for decades and that this information cannot be doctored up or else the world's economy will collapse in a short time is quite predictable. Take a look at what happened to the world's economy in 2008-they went down just like the US economy went down.

If the US was falsifying economic information, 2008 would look like a burp.
cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:21 pm
@Blickers,
They've been predicting that economic collapse for several years now. If they keep up the same message long enough, it may become true.
From my understanding of macroeconomics, I don't see that cliff. Our GDP continues to grow which is preferable to deflation.
It's somewhat of a miracle in a world economy that's tied together in many ways.
cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/D3B692D8-BD11-11E4-8535-3F79F5115BA7?client=safari
The fear mongers continue to scare Americans, and control their lives in which it's self imposed, and not from seeing our growing economy.
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/us-has-record-10th-straight-year-without-3-growth-gdp
Blickers

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's how Trump got in. The right wing media went nuts down-talking the economy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 01:00 am
Boris Johnson says countries are 'queuing up' to sign free trade deals with Britain
Quote:
Mr Johnson suggested there was already a high demand for trade deals with the UK from countries around the world, although they will have to wait until the end of Article 50 negotiations in 2019.

"They are already queuing up," Mr Johnson wrote.

"Under EU rules, we are not formally allowed to negotiate these new treaties until we leave. But there is nothing to say that ideas cannot be pencilled in."

Seems, such can be done quickly after Brexit is completed - I'm just wondering why free trade negotiations took so long in the past.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:58 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Businesses and financial institutions, let alone nations and legislatures, make decisions based on those economic figures. If those economic figures for the US, considering its central role in the world economy, are not accurate, the economy of the whole world would have gone right down the tubes a long time ago. I already told you that. You have no answer,so you ignored the question.

I'm back at work; holidays are over. Try and be patient. Some of us have a life outside these boxes.

So, you might have missed the global financial crisis? How about the LIBOR scandal? Supposed to be the biggest scandal in financial history, but surprisingly slipped out of the limelight rather quickly.

What about the audit of the federal reserve revealing the 16 trillion magically created and doled out around the globe, without anyone really knowing (or caring) that such a sum might affect things financially. The press barely even mentioned it.

I'd take a leaf out of CI's book here, and take no notice of much of the "facts and figures" released by Congress, or any of the reserve banks.

I don't see much getting done about the Pentagon "losing" all those trillions either, so apparently money does grow on trees. Pity the students can't get some leeway on their debts, but wait on, isn't the outgoing president "forgiving" some 7 billion worth of student debt, in his last week of office?

Might be buying some votes for when his wife runs for office in 2020.
Olivier5

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:51 am
@Builder,
I don't trust your lack of trust.

In your post you even quote data from the Government Accountability Office, which is under congress: those 16 trillions. So do you or don't you trust them?... Apparently you trust them enough to quote them when it suits you, and not enough when it doesn't suit you.
Blickers

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:49 am
@Olivier5,
You hit the nail on the head, Olivier. Builder is here to build conspiracy theories unhinged from reality, so he has to attack all the statistics the economic world relies on. But even Builder is using the findings of a government body to try to argue that all government bodies are corrupt and put out phony statistics. What a laugh.

Meanwhile, the world's living standards continue to increase, and the GDP of the world continues to go up. All smoke and mirrors, according to our resident theorist about how it's all phony, fake, and going to collapse any minute now.
Builder

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 02:52 pm
@Blickers,
Still in denial, I see? The whole orchestrated (nobody saw this coming) global financial crisis was a theory? The LIBOR scandal also a massive conspiracy dreamed up by a keyboard warrior from Australia (of all places, huh!) >

You guys crack me up.

Any financial system that relies on the creators of the money buying their own bonds, is on very shaky ground (this in now in its fourth phase, and still failing) and the taxpayers are forced (by govt) to bail out the major players (coup directors and asset pirates) but because the president doesn't tell them what exactly to do with this money, they give themselves performance bonuses?

It was some performance, I guess, bringing the western financial world to its knees, but do carry on with the premise that this mob of pirates are ethical, and the figures they release are convincing (at least to you).

And if I need to coach you about the LIBOR scandal, how lots of "facts and figures" were being fudged, with the sole motive being profit from theft (yes blinkers, rigging the rates is theft) then how in god's hell can you type without laughing, when you say you know WTF is really going on in the globe, financially, by looking at charts and numbers, distributed by thieves and pirates?

Thanks for the morning chuckles, guys. I'm off to the coal face to earn some beer vouchers.

Olivier5

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:08 pm
The problem with what i have called elsewhere the "hypercritics" (people whose sense of doubt is blown out of proportion, who doubt an entire science like climate change deniers, or those like Builder who disbelieve the whole "mainstream media", whatever they say) is that at the basis of their fundamental and wholesale doubt, there is often SOME good reason to doubt. Of course, science can get things wrong. Of course, some governmental statistics are inflated or deflated for political motives. Of course, the US mainstream media are heavily biased in one way or another. Etc. This sort of "local", discriminating doubt is useful. The devil comes in when one thinks that science is ALWAYS wrong, that ALL statistics are useless, that ALL media lie ALL the time.