Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Builder

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 03:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Wow! England still has an automobile industry.

Australia's sellout govt just shafted 200,000 Aussie workers in that industry to sweeten a deal with the Chinese.

Isn't globalism great?
Walter Hinteler

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 04:42 am
@Builder,
There are about 800,000 job at Britain's vehicle manufacturers and parts producers.

The EU accounts for 57.5% of all UK car exports - Britain exports 77.3% of the total production of 1,595,697 vehicles (2015 figures).
Walter Hinteler

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 05:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Guardian's Berlin correspondent will get the German citizenship - and shares an interesting story how that works:
I was happy living as a Briton in Germany – but then came Brexit
Walter Hinteler

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 11:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
UK must protect EU crime prevention links, NCA says
Quote:
Law enforcement chiefs have urged the government to ensure cross-border crime prevention measures are not jeopardised by Brexit negotiations, it has emerged.

The director general and deputy director general of the National Crime Agency said they had asked ministers to protect Britain’s arrangements with Europe, including use of the European arrest warrant and membership of Europol, amid concerns about the impact of leaving the union.

Membership of the EU gives the NCA and UK police forces access to tools which allow them to share intelligence quickly and efficiently with European counterparts.
georgeob1

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 01:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
As well he should. Moreover the EU should cooperate and fprovide the connectivity, just as is done with other nations outside theEU.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 02:13 pm
@georgeob1,
EUROPOL is one of the various agencies of the European Union (more than 40), with the British civil servant [aka EU-bureaucrat"] Rob Wainwright as director of roughly 1,000 staff.

But "Brexit means Brexit".

Builder

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 02:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Britain exports 77.3% of the total production of 1,595,697 vehicles

Still a major industry.

Our state and federal governments are in their neo-liberal privatisation phase. Anything not tied down gets tossed on the auction heap.
0 Replies

momoends

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 10:00 pm
@High Strangeness,
"It created such a swell of national pride that the UK went on to win 27 gold medals at the Rio Olympics, more than any other country except the USA (46 golds)."---???
Walter Hinteler

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 11:03 pm
@momoends,
Quote:
Romanian roofers and Polish plumbers now join bankers in the list of occupations ministers have suggested will be unhindered by new promised restrictions of freedom of movement.
Source
0 Replies

saab

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 01:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Danes voted NO to Europol.
They kind of had the idea that important informations would be exchanged anyway.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 03:29 am
@saab,
As far as I know, Denmark still is a member of the EU and thus of Europol.
But since Denmark has long enjoyed exemptions from several EU laws since 1973 - I don't know, if there's a new situation here as well (not according to the Europol website).

Seems to be a similar situation as with the UK: they want a parallel deal, too.
saab

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 03:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Denmark cannot remain full Europol member after referendum ...
https://www.euractiv.com/.../denmark-cannot-remain-full-europo...
Diese Seite übersetzen
11.12.2015 - Denmark will not be able to stay in the European police cooperation organisation, Europol, after the country voted 'No' last week to a flexible ...

Of course Denmark is still a member of the EU.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 03:53 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Of course Denmark is still a member of the EU.
I don't think it's an "of course": EU Commissioner says Denmark can't have 'parallel' Europol deal
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 04:14 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
They kind of had the idea that important informations would be exchanged anyway.
I wonder if "they" (which doesn't seem to be the Danish police*) still think, there is no need for close international police co-operation in terms of cybercrime, terrorism, transnational crime and the refugee and immigrant situation.

*The Danish police's access to Europol’s criminal database Europol Information System (EIS) was far more than by their other EU colleagues. (Source)
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 06:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There's a so-called "Brexit Blueprint" being circulated to Tory members ahead of PM May's speech about quitting the bloc at the Tory conference on Sunday, demanding Britain to leave in less than two years.

http://i66.tinypic.com/11uyt0z.jpg

Duncan Smith tells May 'stop BEGGING for EU deal & get us out NOW' in Brexit blueprint
0 Replies

saab

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 06:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Danes simply wanted more Denmark and less EU and more trust in politicians, Thez simply do not really trust politicians any more.
At the election regarding the Euro the banks and the politicians all came with domedays ideas if Denmark did not get the Euro. People said no and Denmark is much better off than if it had the Euro.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 07:16 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
The Danes simply wanted more Denmark and less EU and more trust in politicians,
They can do the same as has been done in the UK. (As an aside: I wouldn't call the policemen at Europol politicians, but that's just my opinion.)

saab wrote:
People said no and Denmark is much better off than if it had the Euro.
The krone is pegged to the euro via the ERM II, thus, there it has been between 7.43 and 7.47 over the last 14 years.
saab

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 08:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
If I say politicians I mean politicians.
One reason the Danes voted against Europol is/was their lack in trusting POLITICIANS. Has really nothing to do with Europol or policemen.

The Danes certinly know that the krone is pegged to the euro and as much as they travel they know how the krone/euro stands.
It is within the Danish borders they feel they are better off without the euro.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 08:43 am
@saab,
Sorry that I don't understand your response:
- you wrote that the Danes voted against Europol because they don't trust politicians, but that had really nothing to do with Europol,
- you wrote that the Danes know that the krone is pegged to the krone but that they are better off with it.

So the referendum could have been about anything else?
And the better feeling is just name-related?
saab

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 09:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The election was about Europol.
But the NO result was not because the Danes were really pro or ocntra Europol, but because the want less of EU in Denmark.
They do not trust politicians any more. So if a politicians says something is good, they will think better vote against it.
The Danes punished the politicians by voting NO as they did/do not trust the politicians regarding what they said about Europol.
It is about two different things feelings and facts.

It should have been the krone is pegged to the Euro.

I did not say the Danes are better off without the Euro. This sentence would say it is a fact
I said they feel they are better off... This sentence does not say it is a fact - just a feeling
Feelings and facts are two different things.