Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Sun 21 Aug, 2016 11:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Not only Britain fears immigration ...
Frontpage of today's NZ Herald:

http://i66.tinypic.com/288pco5.jpghttp://i65.tinypic.com/f3z1w8.jpg

Quote:
Typically the Immigration New Zealand website receives 3,000 registrations a month from British nationals interested in moving to, working or investing in New Zealand.

But on the day of the Brexit referendum the website received 998 registrations from Britons, compared with 109 at the same time the year before. Anyone who registers will get regular updates and more detailed information on moving to New Zealand.

In the 49 days following the Brexit vote more than 10,000 British nationals registered their interest – compared with 4,599 during the same period the year before.
[...]
Professor John Morgan, a British expat and academic at the University of Auckland, said the current wave of interest in New Zealand reminded him of the “political refugees” from the 1980s who fled the Thatcher government.

“New Zealand is really appealing for Brits because it’s a similar size and culture,” said Morgan.

“There is this pervading idea that New Zealand is some sort of relic of 1950s Britain, a place to escape, a place to go back in time. That is not true, but it is generally true that New Zealand does avoid the worst trappings of modern, consumerist culture. There is a rush hour – but it is just an hour.”
Source
Walter Hinteler

Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Prince William has visited North Rhine-Westphalia, my home state, to mark the state's 70th birthday yesterday.
Brexit seems to have been not a topic: Kraft, our minister president, said, she thanked the UK and the British military for their help in ensuring peace in Europe, particularly in the Cold War era. HRH praised the "lovely weather" and that everything was "well organized!".

Commentators and bystanders, however, were concerned, however, about the pending Brexit and its potential effects on the region. "It's up to use to keep the connections and the traditions going," one said on BFBS (the regional British Forces radia and tv), "Regardless of what happens."

I like to add a a paragraph from the press kit of the British embassy:

Quote:
A Shared History:
Britain and Germany’s shared history began over one thousand years ago with the
arrival of the Angles and Saxons from northern Germany, and expanded through maritime trade links
between the Hanseatic cities and English ports from the 12th century. In the 18th century, Britain and
Germany were bound even closer together with the union of the crowns of Hanover and Great Britain,
which lasted 123 years and provided five British kings. The Duke of York attended the 300th
anniversary celebrations of the Union in Hanover in 2014. The first half of the 20th century was a dark
period in the British­German relationship. But the end of the Second World War 70 years ago ushered
in a new alliance between the UK and Germany. Precipitated by the Cold War, the role of British troops
in Germany quickly changed from one of occupier to protector, with British forces playing a key role in
the Berlin Airlift. Towns and cities across Britain and Germany forged twinning programmes, with the
partnership between Coventry and Dresden remaining the ultimate symbol of British­German
reconciliation. The 2006 FIFA World Cup was a chance for British people to discover a modern, diverse
Germany by visiting or as reflected in its national team. A BBC poll of 2013 found Germany
to be one of the most popular countries in the world among British people:
0 Replies

contrex

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:39 am
What have I been saying?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-37202922

Quote:
A former head of the civil service has predicted that the UK might remain in a "more loosely aligned" European Union, despite the referendum vote to leave.

Lord O'Donnell told the Times it would take Parliament "years and years and years" to separate fully from Brussels.

"It very much depends what happens to public opinion and whether the EU changes before then," he said.

As Gus O'Donnell, he was cabinet secretary from 2005 to 2011 and is now a crossbencher in the House of Lords.

Lord O'Donnell said: "Lots of people will say 'we've had the referendum, we've decided to go out, so that's it, it's all over'.

"It might be that the broader, more loosely aligned group is something that the UK is happy being a member of."

He added: "While we can leave relatively quickly, what leaving means is a huge administrative and legislative change because of all of those rules and laws and directives that have been implemented over this last 40 years.

"My instinct is we will almost certainly stick with them and say 'OK, we'll keep them for now', so you can leave with everything in place."

Gus O'Donnell served as a press secretary under John Major, and then as cabinet secretary - the UK's most senior civil servant - in the cabinets of Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 03:45 am
@contrex,
Bridget Christie: no one wants to talk about Brexit – and if we don’t, it will just go away. Right?
Quote:
[... ... ...]
We won’t know the full consequences of Brexit for years, but what we do know is this: the EU referendum has exposed a nation divided in a a way we have not seen since the white-and-gold (or blue-and-black?) dress phenomenon. Relationships are under pressure, families are split, communities at odds. Nigel Farage was the white-and-gold or blue-and-black dress of British politics. Half the nation was convinced that what it was looking at was an anti-establishment hero, a voice for change, for the working classes and the disenfranchised, a patriot, the saviour of Britain; while the other half was convinced that what it was looking at was a twat. If only Farage was an optical illusion.

But now is not the time for petty insults and further division. We need to talk about how this happened. The 23 June vote wasn’t just about EU membership; it was about inequality, class and political disillusionment. While we need to unite, we must never forget who got us here, and that means blaming the right people. It’s not each other; it’s the lying, scheming, reckless, narcissistic politicians who played politics with people’s lives, and the British media, left and right, who let us down. It is also entirely the fault of everyone who voted to leave, and I’m not going to stop bleating on about it.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 03:58 am
You all know Britain is still not out of the EU "yet" and the parliament has yet to accept the "popular vote", the British parliament may have its misgivings.

Britain is still accepting applications from EU workers and the next season of EU workforce comes within the next month...
TheCobbler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 04:04 am
@contrex,
That's funny, some of us Scandinavians think of some of the Brits as an unruly rabble that likes to spent their weekends in Amsterdam terrorizing them with their drunken leud behavior.

Some of the Brits...

Smile
Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 04:52 am
@TheCobbler,
PMTheresa May will not hold a parliamentary vote on Brexit before formally triggering Britain's withdrawal from the EU, The Daily Telegraph reported today, without specifying sources.
TheCobbler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 05:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It would seem Britain is a democracy and not a republic. Let's see if the conservatives stick to that edict when the people decide to oppose them.

Theresa May will trigger Brexit negotiations without Commons vote
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/theresa-may-will-trigger-brexit-negotiations-without-commons-vot/
0 Replies

saab

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 05:44 am
@TheCobbler,
As Britain still is in EU, why is Britian not taking part in the meeting of the 27 states in Bratislava?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:20 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
As Britain still is in EU, why is Britian not taking part in the meeting of the 27 states in Bratislava?
Do you seriously suggest that the UK should contribute to the EU's-strategy about how to handle the EU after the UK's exit?
Nota bene: it's an "Informal meeting of the 27 heads of state or government", with topics about the further reforms and to the development of the EU with 27 member states, not a Council meeting!

Counter question: why has the UK relinquished its upcoming presidency of the EU Council in 2017?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:41 am
@saab,
Interesting the Ukip's take on the UK's membership:
Quote:
“UKIP MEPs have a mandate from the people who elect them and get paid like every other MEP.

“They will continue to represent their electorate until they leave the European Union.”
While most of the UK's MEPs choose to take a lower salary in line with UK parliamentarians, those from UKIP take the €96,246.36 every month. In Euros.
And Farange represented his electorate as an aid to Trump., on the EU-payroll.
saab

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I did not say that should contribute, but at least they should have been invited to listen to what the rest have to say.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:51 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
I did not say that should contribute, but at least they should have been invited to listen to what the rest have to say.
You can't be serious!

That is a meetin of 27 head of states or leaders of their country, who discuss the future of these countries in the EU. Why should the UK take part????
0 Replies

saab

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You do not have to rob it in with Farange
I was not for the Brexit - EU needs GB as a balance to too much saying from certain corners.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:53 am
@saab,
So again my question:
why has the UK relinquished its upcoming presidency of the EU Council in 2017?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:55 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
EU needs GB as a balance to too much saying from certain corners.
Hello? That was why the UK (not GB) joined the EU???
When has been what changed to give the UK this role?
saab

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 07:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I beg you to forgive me - my almost unforgivable mistake - to use the expression GB instead of UK.

Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:05 am
@saab,
Well, it does have some significance for the post Brixit-period since NI wants to stay in resp. join the EU as well as Scotland.

I'm really interested in your opinion about the UK why had relinquished its upcoming presidency of the EU Council. And why you think that they still should have been invited to the talks about how the EU should work without them.
saab

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I have no opinion regarding the relingquish of the upcoming presidency yet.

I think they should have been invited - just like at a divorce the ex is allowed to hear what will happen after the divorce, or ideas about a firm or farm after the death of the owner.
In the case of Brexit about half of the population was against it, so they should have the right to know a bit about their future. Out of politeness.

Walter Hinteler

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:44 am
@saab,
Well, the relinquish of the presidency happened already quite some time ago.

I don't understand your opinion, but you certainly can have it - it least here, I have the same opinion as the current and previous UK-government.