Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Blickers

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Again, the UK will be outside the EU, so you won't have to change any immigration laws within the EU. The UK is a giant world economic power in and of itself, and it beneficial to neither the UK nor certainly the EU to slap full tariffs on the UK when it leaves, which will cut down trade somewhat between the two parties. If the UK was small, you could shrug it off. The UK economy is not small, and the EU will not be able to shrug it off easily. Nor should it.

The UK doesn't want the EU politically, it very likely will be able to take in a limited amount of EU immigrants, (and the EU will take in a limited amount of UK immigrants), in exchange for reduced tariffs between the two parties.

The EU would be smart to negotiate these issues.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:54 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Again, the UK will be outside the EU, so you won't have to change any immigration laws within the EU.
Immigration laws are actually national laws (at least related to "immigration" from outside the EU - because movement between EU-countries is no immigration)

Blickers wrote:
The EU would be smart to negotiate these issues.
Might be so. It could be as well that the UK would be smart to look at what is legally possible and what is completely impossible. (They did so already when they paddled back from certain points by the Leave campaign.)
Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:55 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
The UK doesn't want the EU politically,
That is an interesting aspect and explains actually everything.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 10:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As an aside: I heard European Law more than 40 years ago, and only because it was part of the exams in Constitutional and Internal Law .... and the easiest of the offered courses I could choose.
I have to look up all legal questions like anyone else here.
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote Walter:
Quote:
Might be so. It could be as well that the UK would be smart to look at what is legally possible and what is completely impossible. (They did so already when they paddled back from certain points by the Leave campaign.)

Legally, pretty much everything will be legally possible since what we are discussing is a trade treaty between the UK after it leaves and the EU for their mutual benefit.

Quote Walter:
Quote:
Immigration laws are actually national laws (at least related to "immigration" from outside the EU - because movement between EU-countries is no immigration)
OK, so we can limit the amount of tariffs the UK has to pay for EU trade, and to get the EU countries to back it the UK can negotiate immigration quotas individually with 27 countries. Sounds good to me. What do bureaucrats get paid for?
AugustineBrother

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:39 am
@Lash,
I think that since the margin was 4% it was odious Mr Obama's finger-pointing that did it. I guess we will never know for sure .But he was repulsive the way he acted. The Queen Mother certainly can't stand him.
Tes yeux noirs

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:40 am
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
The Queen Mother certainly can't stand him.

Did that information come by ouija board?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 12:15 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Legally, pretty much everything will be legally possible since what we are discussing is a trade treaty between the UK after it leaves and the EU for their mutual benefit.
Well, in that case I certainly have written about a different topic, namely the relations of the UK to the EU after a Brexit.

Blickers" wrote:
OK, so we can limit the amount of tariffs the UK has to pay for EU trade, and to get the EU countries to back it the UK can negotiate immigration quotas individually with 27 countries. Sounds good to me.
It may certainly sound good for you. But not for the UK-citizens living and working in the EU-countries nor for EU-citizens in Britain.
Besides that, nothing similar has been suggested in the UK ... aside from some "election propaganda"; but that had been taken back already.
(I still believe that the UK want to have at least something similar to a membership of the European Economic Area - and they haven't cancelled the membership in the Customs Union either. But I'm no native English speaker and might have misheard and misread. )
Blickers

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 12:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote Walter:
Quote:
It may certainly sound good for you. But not for the UK-citizens living and working in the EU-countries nor for EU-citizens in Britain.
Besides that, nothing similar has been suggested in the UK ... aside from some "election propaganda"; but that had been taken back already.

I think it will be fine for the UK citizens in the EU and vice versa, since it would apply only to newer immigrants-nobody is talking about sending anyone home. And as far as nobody has suggested anything along those lines, well aren't you the one who said this thread is for speculating what will emerge? Heck, the Brexit vote is only a week old. There is going to be a lot of proposals coming down the line.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 12:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
DW just published a very good report - some topics I've mentioned already, but here they are all together and in a better English:
Brexit: Why people are increasingly talking about the 'Norway model'
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 12:38 pm
One thing is clear: nobody, even the leaders of the Leave campaign, want to trigger Article 50. I think it may never happen.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 01:11 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
I think it may never happen.

You're not alone:
Brexit: LSE expert says EU referendum was a 'draw' and UK exit will not happen

Some commentators have suggested Boris Johnson also came to the same conclusion as Dr Murkens, which would provide a possible explanation for his surprise withdrawal from the Conservative leadership race on today.
Tes yeux noirs

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 02:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Some commentators have suggested Boris Johnson also came to the same conclusion as Dr Murkens, which would provide a possible explanation for his surprise withdrawal from the Conservative leadership race on today.

I have thought this since I saw his face the morning after the vote. Whatever else Boris may be, he is not stupid.
0 Replies

saab

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 02:56 am
There has been discussions about what to do with the English Language in EU
http://www.jyllands-posten.dk/pictures/NICA_Billede__free_/article8814685.ece/ALTERNATES/h-free/55506126.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 03:18 am
@saab,
Any change to the EU Institutions’ language regime is subject to a unanimous vote of the Council and not caused by leaving.

The English language will NOT be banned from EU after Brexit, despite claims. (And that has been published already on Monday officially)
[See Article 342 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.]
saab

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 04:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This was just a joke in Jyllandsposten this morning.
Sorry . I put in -

This shows the difference in nationalities. The Danes make a joke and the Germans make a lecture.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:26 am
@saab,
I wasn't responded to the caricature - it clearly isn't about languages in the eu - but I confess that I missed the joke in
you wrote wrote:
There has been discussions about what to do with the English Language in EU

Or I should have clarified it, at least. My bad.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:09 am
I think i answered the OP question: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

The EU bans companies from making the claim that water prevents dehydration...

saab

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:29 am
@Lash,
Laughing
but they are idiots
Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:31 am
@saab,
LOL!!

The British papers are earning their cost today!! "Boris, Brexicuted!"

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-36679970
0 Replies