Should pre-nuptials become required for marriage licenses?

Foofie

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 02:18 pm
As we supposedly progress as a society, should pre-nups become required to get a marriage license? It might make work for lawyers, limit squabbling during a divorce, and emphasize that marriage is more than a romantic bonding of people or the fulfillment of youthful musings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,392 • Replies: 11
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 05:05 pm
@Foofie,
As it is a constitutional right to married limiting that ability by demanding conditions is wrong.

I have a pre-nups but it would had greatly annoy me if I needed to do so as that is a subject that no one business but my partner and myself.

Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:18 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

As it is a constitutional right to married limiting that ability by demanding conditions is wrong.

I have a pre-nups but it would had greatly annoy me if I needed to do so as that is a subject that no one business but my partner and myself.

Once upon a time couples needed proof of a blood test to rule out the presence of syphilis in NYS. I do not think requiring a pre-nup is unconstitutional. Similar to gay marriage being a state's right, requiring a pre-nup might also be a state's right.

The fact is, I believe, some people would be annoyed by requiring a pre-nup; others would find it a subject that he or she might have been reluctant to bring up; however, the requirement would have made it a non-issue to wanting to broach the topic. You are entitled to your opinion. But, note how you are the only response so far on this thread. It must be me, not the topic?
BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 03:04 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
The fact is, I believe, some people would be annoyed by requiring a pre-nup; others would find it a subject that he or she might have been reluctant to bring up

Well I see you have no problem with the state playing big daddy to adult citizens but as long as you can get married out of state if you care to do so I guess there is no real harm in setting up such conditions and it will allowed two lawyers to pocket the couple money in term of thousands of dollars of fees for those who do wish to be married in state.

My bet is that the travel agencies will also love such laws as must as the state lawyers will as by going out of state the couple can save enough in lawyers fees to paid for one hell of honeymoon/ wedding.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 05:49 pm
@Foofie,
I'm torn on this.

I'm not convinced that a legal pre-nup is always necessary, but I almost always think people should have talked more about important stuff before they got married. too many people seem focused on the wedding and honeymoon and don't talk about the nuts and bolts of maintaining a long-term relationship/marriage. It's one of the reasons I think the Catholics have a good idea with their pre-marriage counselling classes with mentor couples. They sometimes ask what seem to be silly questions on the face of it - but that seem to almost invariably lead to important discussions about how couples look at things.

There is a St. Exupery saying

http://www.agatha.co.nz/wp/wp-content/uploads/1794x1667xLove-01.png.pagespeed.ic.Q8vz95ocVv.png

I think it's helpful to know that you and your partner are at least looking in the same direction before you commit to marriage/long-term relationship
BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 06:41 pm
@ehBeth,
I have no problem with suggestions to soon to be married couples of courses of actions such as counseling or prenuptial agreements but I do have a problem with forcing any of this down the future couples throats with special note of sub-groups such as lawyers and counselors gaining large sums of money from the couples and at the expense of those couples

Hell we are not only talking about fairly new couples but couples that had been together for decades with children.

Tell me how making getting married too costly to do is going to be in the best interest of existing couples that had children for example.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 06:57 pm
@BillRM,
the church mentors/counsellors are unpaid
roger

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 07:54 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, and the key word is "suggestions".
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 08:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Lawyers are not and not all church counseling are free either.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 09:15 pm
@Foofie,
Funny, that you would come up with such a question, Foofie!
I picture you as the born bachelor who has by now so many acquired traits that would make it impossible to compromise in a relationship.

Anyhue, no, a prenuptial should not become a requirement. There are many young people out there that start out with nothing when they get married and they accummulate whatever they achive during marriage. Should they get divorced it's up to them to work it out.

If a wealthy woman get's married to a poor sap, or vice versa, they probably have the insight and knowledge to protect their assets. Usually, you always can keep the assets you have had prior to marriage. Aything accummulated during marriage should be shared.
Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Funny, that you would come up with such a question, Foofie!
I picture you as the born bachelor who has by now so many acquired traits that would make it impossible to compromise in a relationship.

Anyhue, no, a prenuptial should not become a requirement. There are many young people out there that start out with nothing when they get married and they accummulate whatever they achive during marriage. Should they get divorced it's up to them to work it out.

If a wealthy woman get's married to a poor sap, or vice versa, they probably have the insight and knowledge to protect their assets. Usually, you always can keep the assets you have had prior to marriage. Aything accummulated during marriage should be shared.

Perhaps, the smaller fee to have a lawyer officiate a pre-nup is chicken feed compared to what divorce lawyers get (should that be called a post-nup?).
Consideriong the divorce rate is supposed to be 50%, society saves money with a pre-nup. And, looking into the future (Woody Allen's Sleeper was on tv last night resulting in this thought), perhaps consecutive marriages will be the standard fare for a large percentage of the population in the future. I never thought there would be gay marriage in my lifetime. Who knew?
BillRM

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:53 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Consideriong the divorce rate is supposed to be 50%, society saves money with a pre-nup

How do we as a society save a dime?

It also only made sense to have a pre-nup for older couples with assets coming into a marriage not younger couples.

Quote:
smaller fee to have a lawyer officiate a pre-nup

Both sides entering into a pre-nup would need a lawyer for such to be consider to be valid.
0 Replies