That's what I get for reading the news (health)/add interesting news bites

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:58 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Are you saying you don't remember having a shower until you were 16 or any form of bathing full stop?

I think she meant a shower in like a shower stall. Probably just had a bath before that.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 04:23 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
No, in my youth, people who had real indoor bathrooms at all had bathtubs, not showers from an overhead pipe. Not that I went into a huge number of houses, but a lot of the ones I did see were fairly old houses. So I don't think I saw a shower head over a bathtub until I was sixteen, and don't remember when I saw my first separate shower. I don't remember that my high school girls gym class had any bathing at all, just sinks. That was in the fifties, small school.

Hmm, as a child, my mother told me not to get overheated, it wasn't good for me.

That's almost funny now, except that it was sort of impeding. I did play baseball and skate and bicycle and all that. My mother was born in 1901.. we were grumpy at each other when I was in my teens.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 04:24 pm
@McGentrix,
I've never tried it but might like to, in the right circumstances.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 04:32 pm
@McGentrix,
When we were kids, after WWII, we lived in rooms converted from schoolrooms divided by army blankets into homes. We had a communal shower room with about ten spouts - just like the YMCA. No bath tubs. The bathroom was the same; all open with no walls. It was the same when I was stationed in Morocco with the USAF.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 04:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Years later I did like the YMCA a lot, and enjoyed the great shower rooms. Time passes, things change. That's where I learned running, at first indoors (like a herd of elephants in a big room), and also swimming a mile. Getting to a mile took a while, but once I got going on it, it was dreamily wonderful.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 01:10 am
@ossobuco,
It was the same in Sweden. We had a bathroom with a bathtub and a loose shower hanging next to the fusset. We took bath and the shower I used for washing my hair. Standing bowed over the bathtub.

One school in my hometown had tiny round bathtubs. All children had to go there I think regularly but it was really meant for kids with no bathroom at home.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 02:31 am
@ossobuco,
Ah got ya Smile

I can't honestly myself recall? I can only visualise the shower and bath at 14 at least in the house. I left at 16 a little rebel I was..

1901 wow!!! Is all I can say very different era .
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:02 am
I do not always trust childhood memories.
I have one about our bathroom being the center of family life during the war - the whole war? or just a few weeks?
The radiator was build into the bathtub and there was no window so one did not have to worry about the blackout curtains and it was the warmest room in the whole house. That I remember also as grown up..
The house had large windows and it was difficult to get black out curtains for the windows. That I know from my mother.
My father was a soldier, so he was not at home. So evenings were spent in the bathroom my mother sat on the toilet reading, the dog was on the floor and I played with my toys in the bathtub - of course without water.
For how long time this went on - I do not know. In my memeries this was so cosy.
0 Replies