That's what I get for reading the news (health)/add interesting news bites

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 06:16 pm
Please add other links or clips to articles you see that you think may be helpful.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-infants-almond-milk-idUSKCN0UW23F

A clip from that link:

Health | Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:15pm EST Related: HEALTH
Limiting infants to almond milk can result in scurvy
BY KATHRYN DOYLE
(Reuters Health) - Plant-based beverages like almond milk can’t be used to replace breast milk or infant formula, a new report warns.

The authors of the report describe an infant in Spain who was fed only almond beverages or almond flour-based formulations from age two months to 11 months and developed fractures and failure to thrive due to scurvy.

Scurvy is a serious condition caused by lack of vitamin C in the diet. Once the scourge of sailors who did not have access to sources of vitamin C during many months at sea, scurvy is rare today.

Dr. Isidro Vitoria of the Hospital Universitario y Politecnico La Fe in Valencia, Spain, and coauthors report the case of a male baby who was born at term, vaccinated according to Spanish guidelines, and fed with a cow’s milk based formula for the first two and a half months of life.

When he developed skin inflammation, a medical doctor recommended he be switched to daily intake of a prepared mixture including almond drink, almond flour, sesame powder, brown rice malt, brown rice, millet and a sachet of probiotics and prebiotics marketed in Spain.

From age six months onward, his mother offered him pureed fruits and vegetables that he would not eat.

At 11 months of age, the baby was tired, irritable, had failed to thrive and refused to support his legs on a solid surface, crying even when an adult moved his legs for him.

He had abnormal levels of zinc, vitamin D, thyroid stimulating hormone and ascorbic acid, or vitamin C.

X-rays revealed fractures in his legs and back and thinning bones.

The almond formula was stopped and replaced with infant formula, cereals, meat, fruits and vegetables supplemented with vitamin C and D replacement therapy. One month later his x-rays had improved. Soon afterward, his vitamin C and D levels had normalized.

next one:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-pregnancy-fish-idUSKCN0UW1S4

I ended up posting the whole article:

High fish consumption in pregnancy tied to brain benefits for kids
BY SHEREEN LEHMAN

Pregnant women attend a yoga class in Madrid March 17, 2009.
REUTERS/SUSANA VERA
(Reuters Health) - When mothers eat three sizeable servings of fish each week during pregnancy it may benefit children’s brains for years to come, according to a large study in Spain.

Researchers followed nearly 2,000 mother-child pairs from the first trimester of pregnancy through the child’s fifth birthday and found improved brain function in the kids whose mothers ate the most fish while pregnant, compared to children of mothers who ate the least.

Even when women averaged 600 grams, or 21 ounces, of fish weekly during pregnancy, there was no sign that mercury or other pollutants associated with fish were having a negative effect that offset the apparent benefits.

“Seafood is known to be an important source of essential nutrients for brain development, but at the same time accumulates mercury from the environment, which is known to be neurotoxic,” lead author Jordi Julvez, of the Center for Research in Environmental Epidemiology in Barcelona, said in an email.

In an attempt to balance the potential harms of such pollutants with the general health benefits of fish, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s 2014 guidelines encourage pregnant women to eat fish, but no more than 12 ounces per week.

The European Food Safety Authority recently issued a scientific opinion endorsing 150 g to 600 g of fish weekly during pregnancy, Julvez and colleagues note in the American Journal of Epidemiology. But, the study team writes, the effects of maternal fish consumption during development are still not well understood and more research could help give pregnant women clearer guidance.

The researchers analyzed data from the Spanish Childhood and Environment Project, a large population study that recruited women in their first trimester of pregnancy, in four provinces of Spain, between 2004 and 2008.

Julvez and colleagues focused on records of the women’s consumption of large fatty fish such as swordfish and albacore tuna, smaller fatty fish such as mackerel, sardines, anchovies or salmon, and lean fish such as hake or sole, as well as shellfish and other seafood.

Women were tested for blood levels of vitamin D and iodine, and cord blood was tested after delivery to measure fetal exposure to mercury and PCB pollutants. At ages 14 months and five years, the children underwent tests of their cognitive abilities and Asperger Syndrome traits to assess their neuropsychological development.

On average, the women had consumed about 500 g, or three servings, of seafood per week while pregnant. But with every additional 10 g per week above that amount, children’s test scores improved, up to about 600 g. The link between higher maternal consumption and better brain development in children was especially apparent when kids were five.

The researchers also saw a consistent reduction in autism-spectrum traits with increased maternal fish consumption.

Mothers’ consumption of lean fish and large fatty fish appeared most strongly tied to children’s scores, and fish intake during the first trimester, compared to later in pregnancy, also had the strongest associations.

“I think that in general people should follow the current recommendations,” Julvez said. “Nevertheless this study pointed out that maybe some of them, particularly the American ones, should be less stringent.”

Julvez noted that there didn’t appear to be any additional benefit when women ate more than 21 oz (about 595 g) of fish per week.

“I think it's really interesting, and it shed a lot more light on the benefits of eating fish during pregnancy,” said Dr. Ashley Roman, director of Maternal Fetal Medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York.

“I think what's interesting about this study compared to some data previously is that they better quantify the relationship between how much fish is consumed in a diet and then the benefits for the fetus and ultimately the child,” said Roman, who was not involved in the study.

“They're able to correlate the fish consumption with protection from autism and I think that is potentially a very important finding,” she added.

Roman said that fish is really important for the fetus's brain development.

“We still recommend that women avoid the fish that are highest in mercury like catfish, shark, swordfish and giant mackerel, typically the larger fish that have longer lifespans and they tend to concentrate more mercury in their tissue,” she said.

SOURCE: bit.ly/1RnLwGO American Journal of Epidemiology, online January 5, 2016.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,551 • Replies: 27
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 09:56 am
@ossobuco,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/21/heres-why-some-people-drop-dead-while-shoveling-snow/

Yikes - I can see how this could be big trouble..
saab

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 10:09 am
@ossobuco,
Once upon a time not long ago a doctor came up with the idea we should not eat eggs
Another doctor said recently we should eat eggs.
Drink wine - don´t drink wine both are good or bad for your helth.
You know what. Do not read health articles, do not search in internet for health articles.
Listen to what your body tells you or see your doctor.
Look at the latest ideas. Eat gluten and lactose free food. Only do it if you really suffer from it.
I have seen gluten free tea or vegetarian wine.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 10:51 am
@saab,
I get your point but I remain interested in health news and the pros and cons of it over time. Before I changed fields, I worked in the medical field for 23 years, much of that in research. I still care about actual progress when it's true.
saab

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 10:58 am
@ossobuco,
I can understand your interest especially when it comes to progress.

I am for eating a different things and preferable fitting the season.
A couple of weeks ago I saw an article that a doctor found out that cooking as variated as possible is not good for you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 11:08 am
@saab,
I agree, definitely re seasonal, local if possible, I'm now a vegetable lover after some long ago childhood lack of interest, not a vegetarian though. I agree on variety because I've lists saved of nutrients in differing food items and I prefer to get my nutrients from food. Oh, and I buy relatively little packaged food, too many additives in the packages and often bad stuff on the tin container itself. Bake my own bread, and so on. It's time consuming, except that after years of it, I've gotten to better know what I'm doing at least some of the time.
saab

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 11:39 am
@ossobuco,
I really do not like package food either - but I do like froozen vegetables.
They are often better than the fresh,.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 11:43 am
@saab,
True, especially at my most local market, the fresh are sometimes in poor shape. I don't take the frozen veg aisle as what I meant by packaged - although I'll have to look harder, maybe some of those have additives too. Probably things like frozen dinners do.. but I don't buy those anyway.
saab

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Sometimes I get the impression that modern medicin is both heaven and hell.
It is wonderful that illnesses can be cured and we live longer.
Sad is that doctors have little time for their patients.
One hospital often cannot handle everything so you have to go miles and miles for tests and treatmemt. That means less visits by friends and relatives.
Hours to travel, wait and then a test again wait and travel. It can be too much for a ill person.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:14 pm
@saab,
True.
In the US, I have liked my experiences (well, most of them) in University Medical Schools or university related ones, but luckily I've lived relatively near those.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Have you actually read what is in cow milk? We know what cows are eating, the chemicals that is going into their bodies but also there is a lot more yukky stuff that is in cows milk.

Perhaps the "Mother" in question knows of this and tried something else, innocently perhaps it's not the reason at all for the situation at hand.

Mercury is also dangerous for little ones.

But how far do you go Osso, we put chemicals under our arms, on our bodies, in our hair.

The only safe bet is to eat organic and don't use shampoo/conditioner/underarm etc etc.. Yet those kids didn't live long either back then Smile

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Oops, I meant in University Medical School Hospitals.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:42 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I drink almond milk myself, only use what we call half and half, a cows milk once in a while.
Almonds are a problem in another way, being water thirsty in a state (California) with recent drought year after year.
Coconut milk is more expensive here and I'm a low budget person.

Soy milk, probably ok, but I'm not all keen on the mass of soy production in our farmland, and besides, I've had breast cancer and so am not much of a soy milk person. The milk is not the problem re breast cancer so much as soy powder can be; I guess that it is found in health food stores. I do actually like tofu the way I cook it, but... only once in a while.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:59 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I use deodorant maybe twice a year (it's not humid here and I'm not the most social person these days), shampoo much less often than I used to and my hair is better for it. I've played with making my own shampoo (recipes online, no funny additives) but now use one my dermatologist suggested; same with soap, I use a gentle liquid recommended by my dermo.

On my possibly stinking, along with having a poor sense of smell all my life, I ask friends and they say no, I smell just fine. I'll shower right after gardening and so on, but not like the mad showerer I was earlier. Although.... I'm so old, I was around when a lot of people didn't have showers. I don't remember us having one until I was sixteen, in a new-to-us house. And I've read that europeans aren't as rigid about bathing as us (in general) in the U.S. That was a while ago. Maybe they have gotten crazy too.
saab

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 03:07 am
@ossobuco,
Washing your body well is just as good as taking a shower.
I know a lot of people who do not shower every day except after swetting work.
I have not noticed that anybody smells.
Europeans - we are very different.
Young modern people often shower every day.
Little older do not.
British take bath - others do not and only have showers.
Parts of Europe is so poor they still do not have indoor toilets in some parts in the countryside.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 03:13 am
@ossobuco,
I use cow milk 3,5%. I only buy butter and preferable salted or extra salted.
When making gravy or sauces I only use whipping cream.
I am a bit sceptical to too much ecological food. I avoid saugages and prefer real meat.
I do not like tomatoes from Holland as they are far from natural or ecological.
I have never bought soya or torfu.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:05 am
@saab,
I like the sausages made by real butchers out of real meat - only one place locally, and they're on the expensive side.
My switching to unsweetened almond milk is because I like it in my fruit smoothies.. plus it has more calcium than regular milk, here anyway.
I like half and half because it lasts much longer in the refrigerator than regular milk and I can dilute it if I want with water or use it as is when I make gelato if I don't have any whipping cream or use it in white sauces, also if I don't have cream around.

http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-halfandhalf-ingredient-intelligence-205959
saab

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:57 am
@ossobuco,
I agree completely regarding sausages.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:53 pm
@ossobuco,
My husband drinks Coconut water, swears it is good for you, yep well at $5.00 a carton it better be Smile

Are you saying you don't remember having a shower until you were 16 or any form of bathing full stop?

Not that it matters, but I can't grasp that somehow, though I've always been a fan of the 1800's for some reason. Hard work, helping each other, home grown, playing in the fields, telling stories, sounds like a better world to me.

There are a lot of home remedies that I can only imagine is better for us, being my age, it's not worth worrying about now, can't see how it's going to make me live longer especially given I need to quit cigs Smile
McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:57 pm
real coconut water is a laxative. Not the best way to lead your life.