PLease help ID the artist of this oil on wood 'Man in Cardinal Vestments

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 02:36 am
C:\Users\Debbie\Picasa3\man in cardinal vestment\DSCF9272=88.jpg
C:\Users\Debbie\Picasa3\man in cardinal vestment\DSCF9290-9.jpg
C:\Users\Debbie\Picasa3\man in cardinal vestment\12196227_10208045460164357_3306803545207706580_n.jpg
C:\Users\Debbie\Picasa3\man in cardinal vestment\DSCF9275-1.jpg
C:\Users\Debbie\Pictures\Picasa\Collages\Recently Updated1-001.jpg

The frame is rough, the back has some pencil writing on it.

Here are the ideas I have on this painting and what I don't know about it:

It has been called a sketch, not a finished painting. Oil on board.

The last picture collage is an image of Pope Julius II I found on the internet. As I put that image with mine, to me they look so much alike

The back: I see the word "Jacomimi" in pencil

The signature: Has been suggested to me Italian "Guiseppe"

Giuseppe Bartolomeo Chiari , or a Chinese named Lefu Gu

:http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/.../1996.../ed-1/seq-49.pdf

,Size: 13 Long X 9" Wide / Canvas: 9.5" Long x 5" Wide

I have no idea who owned this before it came to me. It was left in a rummage sale where I live. That's how I acquired it.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 07:43 am
Very good information, but of course I can't access your c drive to look at them.
herbgrower

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:12 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thank you for looking & replying
I know but how do I add pictures?! I tried to find directions for that
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:15 am
@herbgrower,
Ticomaya wrote:
How to add an image to A2K in 6 painfully easy steps:

1. Navagate to "imgur.com." You can type those words in the browser address area each time, or perhaps if you're feeling adventurous, save it as a bookmark/favorite.

2. Click on "Computer" in the "Upload images" section on the page. You might have to look for this, but it's sorta toward the upper right of the page.

3. Navigate to your image on your computer. (Pretend you are going to email it to a friend.)

4. Click "Start Upload".

(Seconds later .... Voila ... your image is now hosted on the Internet!)

5. Copy the link to the image, which is found to the right of the displayed image. (I use the "BBCode" link, and just paste that directly into my A2K post -- it adds the IMG codes so I don't have to. Otherwise you can use the "Direct Link" and add those codes yourself.)

6. Paste the link into your A2K post (using the IMG codes if using the "Direct Link" method, or without using the IMG codes if using the "BBCode" method.)

(Voila again ... you have just added a link of your image to your post. Always preview to make sure it worked properly.)

Note: The IMG codes should like something like this, as they surround the link to your image in your post:
Code:[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Kxym77c.png[/IMG]

facebook is also a good hosting site...
herbgrower

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 01:19 pm
@Region Philbis,
Here are the pictures (I think!)
The man with the bald head not my picture, that is Pope Julius II, who looks a lot like the man in my painting, I think

http://imgur.com/a/BbGHr
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 02:40 pm
@herbgrower,
I think not the same nose, and noses are important to a portrait painter.

Interesting painting..

I'd be looking up roman catholic cardinals as well of popes in likely years, which you probably have been doing already. I used to somewhat know their garb, but that recognition of mine was was a long time ago.

A favorite painting of mine that I got to see in person -
http://www.wga.hu/detail/v/velazque/07/0711vela.jpg
Innocent X, by Diego Velasquez
herbgrower

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 03:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks. I am at a place with this that I really don't know where else to look or ask. I will keep on though, till I am relatively sure the artist cannot be identified
Where did you see the painting you showed?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 03:35 pm
@herbgrower,
In Rome, at the Galleria Doria Pamphilj. It has a room of it's own. Gorgeous gallery, even the floors and ceilings, much more the paintings, open only a few hours a day, at least in the months I've been there. The painting is quite large, a knockout.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Bobsal (above) and a few other people sometimes here know more about wood, framing, painting modes through the ages than I do.
0 Replies

herbgrower

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 04:39 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Here are the pictures
The man with the bald head not my picture, that is Pope Julius II, who looks a lot like the man in my painting, I think

http://imgur.com/a/BbGHr
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 03:57 pm
I think it is a very nice portrait, and I can see why some think it may be 'just' a study. The face itself is very nicely rendered and to me appears to be from the late 1800's probably the 1890's.

I believe it could be worth $2,000 to $3,000. Being a religious painting hurts it a little bit and it might increase the value if we were able to name the subject.

Here is a site to help try to nail down the painter:
http://www.signaturefinder.com/

Nice painting. Nice frame, don't replace it. Very helpful pictures and descriptions.
herbgrower

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 06:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Thank you I will pursue your suggestions. I believe the signature finder is a paid site, but I will see how much it costs. It would be worth it ,seems like to me
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 11:13 pm
@herbgrower,
Try googling "artist by initials" or "painters by initials". I've had good results doing this.
herbgrower

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2016 12:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I'll do that Thanks!
0 Replies