Is Matthew 12:40 Using Common Idiomatic Language?

rstrats

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:50 am
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a discussion with 6th day of the week crucifixion advocates, they frequently assert that it is using common Jewish idiomatic language. I wonder if anyone knows of any writing that shows examples from the first century or before regarding a period of time that is said to consist of a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights where the period of time couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?

And remember that the purpose of this topic is not to discuss how long the Messiah was in the heart of the earth. There are other topics that do that. However, there are those who say that Matthew 12:40 is using common Jewish idiomatic language such as the Messiah saying that He would be in the heart of the earth for 3 nights when He knew that it would only be for 2 nights. But in order to say that it was common, one would have to know of other instances where the same pattern had to have been used. I am simply looking for some of those instances, scriptural or otherwise.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 29,632 • Replies: 100

View best answer, chosen by rstrats
rstrats

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 02:18 pm
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of examples.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 07:05 am
@rstrats,
Yes, the subject is discussed in
JESUS CHRIST: His Life, His Teaching, and His Work (Science and Culture Series)1950
by Ferdinand Prat
rstrats

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 08:39 am
@AugustineBrother,
AugustineBrother,

Are you a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate?
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 12:54 pm
@rstrats,
Ferdinand Prat's book will help with this
Jesus Christ: His life, his teaching and his work; Volumes 1 & 2 complete in one volume1963
by Ferdinand Prat
rstrats

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:42 am
@CVeigh,
CVeigh,
re: "Ferdinand Prat's book will help with this"

Is Prat a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate who believes that the Messiah is using common idiomatic/figure of speech/colloquial language - language where a night time is said to be involved with an event when no part of the night time could have occurred?
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 07:24 am
@rstrats,
It is not an idiomatic expression. Clearly, Jesus said three days AND three nights. In the Old Testament, it is also three days AND three night in the great fish's belly (Jonah 1:17).
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 07:48 am
@rstrats,
Jesus was three days AND three nights in the heart of the earth. Instead of Friday crucifixion, it would be Thursday crucifixon. The next day, Friday, was the high day sabbath (John 19:31). And then the next day, Saturday, will be the regular weekly Sabbath of the Jews. Both Friday and Saturday were sabbath days and the market was closed. On Sunday, after the Sabbath, was a regular trading day. This was when Mary Magdalene et al. bought the sweet spices. But it was the Sabbath of the followers of Jesus, so they could not do their marketing. But since it was summer when Jesus was crucified. AND hot in the afternoon, the trading day was from sunrise to noon, and 3-4pm till 30 minutes to one hour after the sunset had set. This was the only window of opportunity that they could buy the sweet spices - sunset till 30 minutes to one hour when the shops were opened. These happened on:
3760 Av 30, 1 BC 08-17, Thursday, crucifixion of Jesus
3760 Elul 1, 1 BC 08-18, Friday, high day Sabbath, New Moon Festival

0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 08:16 am
@rstrats,
3760 Elul 2, 1 BC 08-19, Saturday, regular weekly Sabbath of the Jews
3760 Elul 3, 1 BC 08-20, Sunday, Sabbath of the followers of Jesus
3760 Elul 4, 1 BC 08-21, Monday, resurrection, first day of the week

The spirit of Ama revealed to us that Jesus was crucified on 08-17. The first day of the week is Monday (John 20:1, 19).
rstrats

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 08:49 pm
Since we're into the new year, someone new looking in may know of examples.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:58 am
@rstrats,
I always thought it was written in Greek. This may help.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/was-matthews-gospel-first-written-in-aramaic-or-hebrew
trevorw2539

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:19 pm
Who knows the answer? The story of Jonah is just that. A story. Possibly based on Oannes with man torso and lower body fish.
That Jesus the preacher believed it was the fact that he was brought up to believe these things. Just as children of Christian parents are today.
We don't even know when Jesus was crucified, because we don't know WHEN he was born. We have two crucifixion stories in the Bible. One tells us he was crucified on the eve of Passover. The other mentions just the Sabbath and the day after.
Passover was celebrated on the same day of the month each year - just like Christmas. So the day changes each year. If we don't know the year we can't know the day on which Passover occurred. There would have been 3 Sabbaths in one week. 2 normal Sabbaths and the Passover Sabbath (Shabbatt in Hebrew).

Study Jewish ritual and the Biblical stories don't make sense.
rstrats

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2017 11:27 am
@trevorw2539,
trevorw2539,
re: "Who knows the answer?"

I should think that those who think the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who try to explain the missing night time by saying the Messiah was using common idiomatic/figure of speech/colloquial language would have to know of examples in order to legitimately make that assertion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 11:19 am
@rstrats,
So many interpretations of one event. Anyone confused?
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2017 05:27 am
Someone new looking in may know of examples.
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2017 11:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush,

Thanks for the link, but I don't see where is shows examples of a daytime or a night time being forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur. What do you have in mind?
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 09:19 pm
The Messiah said that 3 night times would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth". There are those who believe that the Messiah died on the 6th day of the week and who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the time between the leaving of His spirit from His body and His resurrection on the 1st day of the week. However, this belief allows for only 2 night times to be involved. To reconcile this discrepancy some say that the Messiah was using common Jewish figure of speech/colloquial language of the time. I wonder if anyone knows of examples to support that assertion; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2017 09:11 am
@rstrats,
Solar eclipse?
rstrats

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 12:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter,
re: "Solar eclipse?"

I'm afraid I don't understand. I wonder if you might explain?
rstrats

Reply Thu 3 May, 2018 05:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter,

You have a question directed to you in post #3.