Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:00 pm
People who are california natives from a batch of years or decades almost visibly flinch when others call the state, Cali. This is, natch, reminiscent of calling the city of San Francisco, Frisco, which caused a lot of backlash re a huge despising of that name. (Yes, I did used to read Herb Kaen)

There Diane and I were in Denny's in Albuquerque (good breakfasts) and there is some damned Cali feast on the menu.
Diane was born in Arizona but knows the Bay Area well, and is almost more irritated with that than I am, which is hard to do.
Most who call it cali seem to me from elsewhere in some kind of exhilaration.

We don't have polls here now, but hey, give your opinions..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,230 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:20 pm
@ossobuco,
A little info -
my father was born in Santa Rosa in 1906 slightly after the big earthquake.
He and I had some good talks but he died early in my life, so I don't know all his opinions but doubt he gave this matter as of any consequence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:44 pm
I spent ten years of my childhood in California, then went back a few times. Most notably when serving in the Navy, but a few times as a civilian. I never noticed anybody calling it Cali. I have called San Francisco Frisco. But in Texas it is common to call Corpus Christi Corpus, so it was not such a big deal to me to use those kind of nicknames.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
The deal with Cali as a short name is that a lot of Californians hate it. I've no idea of the demographics of that. I assume that will pass or already has, who hated the shortcut name. Mean time that Denny's menu annoys us.

On Herb Caen, I'm not so sure I liked his stuff, but as an institution, him, not me,
I read him back then.
0 Replies