I'll Never Vote for Hillary Clinton

Blickers

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:29 pm
@McGentrix,
Neither the Civil Rights Act of 1957 nor the Civil Rights Act of 1960 are major bills. However, both bills were introduced by Emanuel Celler, Democrat of Brooklyn, NY.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc11/d0uglass/pwn3d.jpg
Blickers

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:49 pm
@Blickers,
Please correct:
Quote:
Neither the Civil Rights Act of 1957 nor the Civil Rights Act of 1960 are major bills.

To: Neither the Civil Rights Act of 1957 nor the Civil Rights Act of 1960 are major bills in the history of the Civil Rights movement. However, both bills were introduced by Emanuel Celler, Democrat of Brooklyn, NY.
Real Music

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:55 pm
@joefromchicago,
Although, I too, have some issues regarding Hillary Clinton, come election time I still have to make a choice. Although I would much prefer Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton, that may not be the choices presented to me. If my choice is to vote for Hillary Clinton or the eventual republican nominee, I would clearly have to vote for Hillary Clinton. To not vote is not a choice I would make. To not for one candidate is not that much different than actually voting for the other candidate.
Lash

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 05:46 am
@snood,
I forgot you don't have a sense of humor. Verbal irony. It's a big waste of time and YOU should get a hobby to replace your A2K hypocritical thought police job.
snood

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 05:55 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I forgot you don't have a sense of humor. Verbal irony. It's a big waste of time and YOU should get a hobby to replace your A2K hypocritical thought police job.

Yeah, like YOU don't take yourself too seriously. Whatever Lash. Enjoy the SC primary.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:08 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Please correct:
Quote:
Neither the Civil Rights Act of 1957 nor the Civil Rights Act of 1960 are major bills.

To: Neither the Civil Rights Act of 1957 nor the Civil Rights Act of 1960 are major bills in the history of the Civil Rights movement. However, both bills were introduced by Emanuel Celler, Democrat of Brooklyn, NY.

Both acts were sent to Congress by one Dwight D. Eisenhower (R). I'm sorry that you feel you need to move the goal posts when called on the carpet for your bullshit.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 07:59 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
If my choice is to vote for Hillary Clinton or the eventual republican nominee, I would clearly have to vote for Hillary Clinton.

There will be other choices.

Real Music wrote:
To not vote is not a choice I would make. To not for one candidate is not that much different than actually voting for the other candidate.

And there you're wrong. If leftists (I won't use the terms "liberals" or "progressives," as those terms are largely meaningless now) could coalesce around a single candidate - say, the Green Party's nominee - and show, by their numbers, that they are a force to be taken seriously, then the Democratic Party might be nudged into adopting a more leftist agenda. We've seen that happen many times before in US history - such things as the income tax, direct election of senators, and women's suffrage were all advocated by third parties before being adopted by a major party. More recently, Ross Perot's insurgent candidacy in 1992 made the presidential race all about the issue (or non-issue) of the budget deficit, which politicians are still yammering about today.

If Clinton is the Democrats' nominee, a vote for a third-party candidate won't be a vote for her Republican opponent. It will be a vote for principles that Clinton and her party cannot be trusted to advocate in office. It will be a message that leftists cannot be ignored or taken for granted by the centrists who control the party. That's a message worth making and a ballot worth casting.

It is a long-held political maxim that the Republican Party fears its base while the Democratic Party despises its base. This year's presidential contest has proved that. It's about time that leftists got out of their one-sided, abusive relationship with the Democratic Party.
McGentrix

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 09:31 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It's the Trumpification of debate. Faced with facts you just deny it all.

or never come back to the conversation when the actual facts negate your bullshit.
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 10:04 am
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
Both acts were sent to Congress by one Dwight D. Eisenhower (R). I'm sorry that you feel you need to move the goal posts when called on the carpet for your bullshit.

Both acts were introduced by Emanuel Celler, Democrat of Brooklyn. Eisenhower did not even particularly support the last two sections of the 1957 Civil Rights bill. And neither the 1957 nor 1960 Civil Rights bill was a major bill in the history of the Civil Rights movement which is why the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 was made necessary and is considered the landmark bill of the Civil Rights movement, along with the 1965 Voting Rights Bill and the 1967 Civil Rights Bill, (Housing). If you'll recall, my question was:
Quote:
Please tell me one major Civil Rights Bill since Reconstruction introduced by a Republican.

It's getting really hilarious watching you try to "call BS" on your opponents when you're knee deep in horse manure.
engineer

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 10:41 am
@McGentrix,
Sorry if the response wasn't fast enough for you, I don't live online. At least I didn't tell you to get a quarter and try again.

First, I will say that the Republican party prior to the 70's was actually very pro-civil rights. I grew up a Republican and that history was part of that. That the Democrats completely rejected the segregationist policies of the Southern branch of the party is also part of the record and they did it at great potential cost, a cost the Republicans never had to face (since they had no presence in the South prior to the 70's). Prior to the '48 election, the walkout of the Dixiecrats was predicted to completely throw the election to the Republicans. It was huge when Truman beat Dewey anyway.

You say there was no move to the Republican party. I was there (as a Republican) and I know that you are absolutely wrong. When I was in civics class in the 70's, the teacher basically said that you might as well register Democratic because otherwise you couldn't vote in the Democratic primary where the final candidate would be chosen. As I moved up through high scho0l and into college, I watched the massive move to the Republican party as a result of Nixon's Southern Strategy. Really loathsome politicians at the local level all underwent conversions and started running on the Republican side where they could make it out of the primaries to the general with their version of "states' rights" and coded words for racial segregation. As a Republican at the time, it was shocking to see who was calling themselves a Republican all of a sudden. It's easy to find the national leaders like Strom Thurmond who changed parties, but he wasn't he only early adapter. You can find others with ease. Charles Pickering who said "the people of [Mississippi] were heaped with humiliation and embarrassment at the Democratic Convention" because their segregationist beliefs were not respected, Bo Callaway (House member and Sec of the Army), Albert Watson (representative from SC and last person to run an openly segregationist gubernatorial campaign), it is not hard to find others. As Lee Atwater pushed the Southern Strategy harder and the South found more and more national pushback against their continued resistance to desegregation, the move accelerated. Jesse Helms moved officially in '70 along with Georgia's Bob Barr. Trent Lott, John Connolly (who won a very close gubernatorial election as a Democrat against a Republican who had also switched parties), John Jarman (OK Representative) and even sweet ole Elizabeth Dole. Perhaps our most famous KKK politician, David Duke, ran as a Democrat in the 80's but got nowhere - until he changed his affiliation to Republican and got elected to the La. House.

It is not hard at all to find where all the serious segregationists went in the 60's and 70's. They left the place that had become completely hostile to them and went were they were wanted and loved. If you want to claim that the overall Republican party was more progressive than the overall Democrats in 1940, I won't argue that although I think the non-Southern Democratic party was very progressive. If you want to argue that those who stood most in the way of civil rights in this country were not effectively banished from the Democratic Party in the 60's and 70's and ended up with successful careers as Republicans, the data is clearly and overwhelmingly against you.

You say Democrats are ignoring their history of poor civil rights support. I'd counter that you are ignoring the Republican's current poor history of civil rights support and Trump's rampant intolerance towards women and minorities. Excusing today's Republican failings by pointing to 70 year old Democratic failings doesn't work very well, especially when all those disaffected Democratic bigots migrated over to the R side of the column.

maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:32 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Real Music wrote:
To not vote is not a choice I would make. To not for one candidate is not that much different than actually voting for the other candidate.

And there you're wrong.

If you split the vote between Clinton and Sanders (as a third party), the other candidate will get into office. You know this. So instead of getting Clinton, who is more liberal/left than 85% of congress, you'll get Trump who, well....

Quote:

If leftists (I won't use the terms "liberals" or "progressives," as those terms are largely meaningless now) could coalesce around a single candidate - say, the Green Party's nominee - and show, by their numbers, that they are a force to be taken seriously, then the Democratic Party might be nudged into adopting a more leftist agenda. We've seen that happen many times before in US history - such things as the income tax, direct election of senators, and women's suffrage were all advocated by third parties before being adopted by a major party. More recently, Ross Perot's insurgent candidacy in 1992 made the presidential race all about the issue (or non-issue) of the budget deficit, which politicians are still yammering about today.

If Clinton is the Democrats' nominee, a vote for a third-party candidate won't be a vote for her Republican opponent. It will be a vote for principles that Clinton and her party cannot be trusted to advocate in office. It will be a message that leftists cannot be ignored or taken for granted by the centrists who control the party. That's a message worth making and a ballot worth casting.

Clinton is one of the most liberal politicians in the country RIGHT NOW. The country will never vote for someone as far left as Sanders. It's not about ignoring the most left in the country, it's that those positions will never win nationally and the nation doesn't support them. The president governs ALL Americans, not just the 10% with the most extreme left views.
maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
I think it's IMMORAL to take a position with your vote that would send Trump, Rubio, or Cruz into office (especially with a republican house/senate and likely vacant supreme court justice seat).

There is NO moral justification to that stance. None.

You like leftist candidates? Great, me too. Vote for them in the house and especially in the Senate. You can stand your ground THERE where the consequences of a ideological 'stand-my-ground' vote are much less. I'll support you 100% in those races.

There is NO moral way to stand-your-ground in the presidential election this year. None. Campaign, trumpet, vote for Sanders in the primary. Get Clinton to move to the left and take positions that you/Sanders enjoy. When she beats Sanders (and she will)...get in line and prepare to vote AGAINST the far right, who you much recognize are your political enemies.
McGentrix

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:49 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote McGentrix:
Quote:

Both acts were introduced by Emanuel Celler, Democrat of Brooklyn. Eisenhower did not even particularly support the last two sections of the 1957 Civil Rights bill. And neither the 1957 nor 1960 Civil Rights bill was a major bill in the history of the Civil Rights movement which is why the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 was made necessary and is considered the landmark bill of the Civil Rights movement, along with the 1965 Voting Rights Bill and the 1967 Civil Rights Bill, (Housing).

The 1957 Civil Rights Act was the first civil rights legislation in 82 years. I'd say that is pretty major. Maybe you don't see it that way, but others do. Eisenhower's Attorney General Herbert Brownell, Jr. produced the bill and Eisenhower pushed it through despite the protestations of the Democrats in the Senate. Celler had nothing to do with the 1957 or 1960 Acts, but was involved in drafting and passing the 1964 Act and later Civil Rights legislation, so points there. B If you have some evidence that "Both acts were introduced by Emanuel Celler, Democrat of Brooklyn." I'd like to see it because I can't find anything other than he voted for them.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:05 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The Fourteenth Amendment provided for apportionment of representation in Congress to be reduced if a state disenfranchised part of its population. But this clause was never applied to southern states that disenfranchised blacks. No blacks were elected to any office in the South for decades after the turn of the century; and they were also excluded from juries and other participation in civil life.

By the 1920s, as memories of the Civil War faded, the Solid South cracked slightly. For instance, a Republican was elected U.S. Representative from Texas in 1920, serving until 1932. The Republican national landslides in 1920 and 1928 had some effects. However, with the Democratic national landslide of 1932, the South again became solidly Democrat.

Southern demography began to change as well. From 1910 through 1970, about 6.5 million black southerners moved to urban areas in other parts of the country in the Great Migration.

From 1876 through 1944, the national Democratic party opposed any calls for civil rights for blacks. In Congress southern Democrats blocked such efforts as Republicans made on the issue.

In the 1930s, black voters outside the South largely switched to the Democrats, and other groups with an interest in civil rights (notably Jews, Catholics, and academic intellectuals) became more powerful in the party. This led to the national Democrats adopting a civil rights plank in 1948. A faction of Deep South Democrats bolted the party, and ran their own "Dixiecrat" presidential ticket, which carried four states, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

The Republican Party began to make gains in the South, building on other cultural conflicts as well. Demographics began to change southern states in other ways. Florida began to expand rapidly, with retirees and other migrants from other regions becoming a majority of the population, which did not share the traditional southern hostility to the Republicans.

By the mid-1960s, changes had come in many of the southern states. Former Dixiecrat Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina changed parties in 1964; Texas elected a Republican Senator in 1961; Florida and Arkansas elected Republican governors in 1966. In the upper South, where Republicans had always been a small presence, Republicans gained a few House and Senate seats.

Republican President Richard Nixon adopted a "Southern Strategy" for the presidential election of 1972: continue enforcement of the civil rights legislation of the 1960s, but be quiet about it, so that offended Southern whites would continue to blame the Democrats, while talking up the Democrats' increasing association with liberal views. He was aided by centrist Democrats' attacks on the eventual nominee as a radical. This strategy was wildly successful – Nixon carried every southern state by huge margins.

The South was still overwhelmingly Democratic at the state level, with majorities in all state legislatures, and most U.S. Representatives as well. Over the next 30 years, this gradually changed. Veteran Democrat officeholders retired or died, and older voters who were still rigidly Democrat also died off. There were also increasing numbers of migrants from other areas, especially in Florida, Texas, and North Carolina.

With the "Republican Revolution" in the 1994 elections, Republicans captured a majority of Southern House seats for the first time.

Today, the South is considered a Republican stronghold at the state and federal levels, with Republicans holding majorities in every southern state after the 2014 elections. Political experts have often cited a southernization of politics following the fall of the Solid South.
wiki

Another good wrap up here. Though you shouldn't read that one as it leans more toward your side, but has a good breakdown of the failure of Democrats in the South.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:18 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
If you split the vote between Clinton and Sanders (as a third party), the other candidate will get into office. You know this. So instead of getting Clinton, who is more liberal/left than 85% of congress, you'll get Trump who, well....

I live in Illinois. In 2012 Obama beat Romney nationwide by about 5 million votes. In Illinois, Obama beat Romney by about a million votes. So approximately 20% of Obama's entire margin of victory in the popular vote came from Illinois alone. When it comes to presidential elections, few states are bluer than Illinois, and so I imagine that any Democratic nominee in 2016 will enjoy a similar advantage in this state. If Clinton is the Democratic nominee, then, and I vote for a third-party candidate, I figure that will only reduce her margin of victory over the Republican nominee by about one millionth. So I'm not terribly concerned about throwing the election to Trump.

maporsche wrote:
The country will never vote for someone as far left as Sanders.

Well, we'll never know until we try.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:20 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
There is NO moral way to stand-your-ground in the presidential election this year. None. Campaign, trumpet, vote for Sanders in the primary. Get Clinton to move to the left and take positions that you/Sanders enjoy. When she beats Sanders (and she will)...get in line and prepare to vote AGAINST the far right, who you much recognize are your political enemies.

What makes you think the Democratic Party is not also my political enemy?
maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:24 pm
@joefromchicago,
Because I've read your posts on positions that you hold.

I have a feeling that you probably support 80% of what the democratic party supports.

I'm not sure how you can not support a party you agree with 80% and instead help elect a party that you probably only agree with 30%.
joefromchicago

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:31 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I have a feeling that you probably support 80% of what the democratic party supports.

No, I reckon it's probably more like 25 or 30%.
maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
Here's the 2012 Democratic Party Platform....curious what you disagree with. You can get more detail here: https://www.democrats.org/party-platform

REBUILDING MIDDLE CLASS SECURITY
Putting Americans Back to Work
The Middle Class Bargain
Cutting Waste, Reducing the Deficit, Asking All to Pay Their Fair Share
Economy Built to Last

AMERICA WORKS WHEN EVERYONE PLAYS BY THE SAME RULES
Wall Street Reform
21st Century Government: Transparent and Accountable
Lobbying Reform and Campaign Finance Reform

GREATER TOGETHER
Strengthening the American Community
Protecting Rights and Freedoms
Ensuring Safety and Quality of Life

STRONGER IN THE WORLD, SAFER AND MORE SECURE AT HOME
Responsibly Ending the War in Iraq
Disrupting, Dismantling, and Defeating Al-Qaeda
Responsibly Ending the War in Afghanistan
Preventing the Spread and Use of Nuclear Weapons
Countering Emerging Threats
Strengthening Alliances, Expanding Partnerships, and Reinvigorating International Institutions
Promoting Global Prosperity and Development
Maintaining the Strongest Military in the World
Advancing Universal Values
MOVING AMERICA FORWARD
joefromchicago

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 01:50 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Here's the 2012 Democratic Party Platform....curious what you disagree with.

You mean which vacuous platitude do I like the best? I suppose "MOVING AMERICA FORWARD" is my favorite. I like the all-caps. It denotes a sense of purpose. I can almost feel the nation moving under my feet.