Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:14 am
Dear English teachers,
Can I use "relate to and mean" interchangeably and could I ask whether my following sentence is acceptable?Many thanks in advance.
Active attacks relate to an adversary attempts to modify system resources or affect their operations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,320 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:32 am
@Loh Jane,
I cannot imagine a situation in which they would be interchangeable.

"Active attacks relate to an adversary' attempt to modify system resources or affect their operations."

Or . . .

"Active attacks means (that) an adversary attempts to modify system resources or affect their operations."

I also see a problem in that resources don't operate. Someone or some process would use resources for an operation of some kind, but the resources themselves are not active.
Loh Jane

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:20 am
@Setanta,
Hi Setanta,
Could I ask when to use "relate to" and when to use "mean"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:36 am
"To relate to" means to be about or to be connected to something already under discussion or in context. "To mean" means to signify, or to intend that something occur. Relate to would be used to clarify or expand upon a definition or explanation. Mean would be the actual definition or explanation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:40 am
I just realized that in my original response i had written:

"Active attacks relate to an adversary' attempt to modify system resources or affect their operations."

That ought to have been:

"Active attacks relate to an adversary's attempt to modify system resources or affect their operations."

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:43 am
I'm sorry, i'm not typing well today, but i believe i have corrected all of my errors.
Loh Jane

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 09:42 am
@Setanta,
When should I use "mean" then?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 11:52 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I also see a problem in that resources don't operate. Someone or some process would use resources for an operation of some kind, but the resources themselves are not active.

This sounds like an IT context, in which 'system resources' could be software programs, which definitely have modes of operation. Elements of any system, computer or otherwise, can be resources - e.g. an electrical power system could have generating resources (various kinds of power plant) and they could operate (be operated) more or less efficently, surely?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 12:06 pm
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
I cannot imagine a situation in which they would be interchangeable

Pure guesswork, Jane, but mebbe:

"Active attacks" relate to, or even mean, an adversary's attempts to modify system resources or affect their operations
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:24 am
@Loh Jane,
You would use mean when defining, when signifying the definition of a term.

Note that in the sentence you provided, in the first example, attempt is a noun, whereas when you use mean in the sentence, attempt becomes a verb. Relate to and mean cannot be used interchangeably.
Loh Jane

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:43 am
@Setanta,
Thanks.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 04:32 am
@Loh Jane,
Relate to is used to show the connection between and Mean is used to intend to convey.
0 Replies