Great idea, or horridly dangerous?

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 05:40 pm
So here is the problem:
On airplanes the in seat power has a max output of 75 watts. My laptop power brick draws 140 watts, so when I plug it in the little green light goes off and no power is provided at all. I fly often and am software designer, my laptop is super powerful and is required for me to work on these long flights I take every week. I need a power solution!

And here is my good or terrible plan:
I want to make a pigtail power cord that has 2 male ends and 1 female end. Plug it into 2 outlets on the airplane and then plug my laptop into the joined lines. With a very limited understanding I am just thinking 75 + 75 = 150 so I am good!

Known issues:
I know that the one exposed male will be live once the other is plugged in. I will be careful and find this risk acceptable.

Concerns:
I am just wrong and this will not work.
I start a fire on an airplane.
Something worse happens and it blows the power out and we fall from the sky.

chai2

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 05:55 pm
@FrequentFlyer1,
I think you need to ask the Federal Aviation Administration.

Let us know what they say.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 06:09 pm
@FrequentFlyer1,
FrequentFlyer1 wrote:
I need a power solution!

plugging things in on the plane ?

if your laptop can't hold a charge through a flight, the laptop needs a new battery - buy one

if the airlines you travel on allow them, carry a couple of portable rechargers with you (fully charged)

really - why McGyver a solution when it's not needed?

don't be a cheap-ass about it

__

portable power banks

http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/496877426/13200MAH-Universal-Portable-Laptop-Battery-Bank-External-Power-Bank-Suit-for-notebook-MID-mobile-phone-and.jpg
engineer

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 06:43 pm
@FrequentFlyer1,
Load sharing between AC circuits is not something you will not be able to do with your pig tail setup and depending on the power supply of the plane, you could trip out both circuits. You can get an external battery for a couple hundred dollars that will get you where you need to go. On other thought: your laptop should only draw that much power when the battery is low. If you start with a fully charged battery, it should draw less.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 11:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Plenty of power packs to meet most needs. http://teardropshop.com/products/sherpa-50-recharger?variant=3427792389&gclid=CKO1tqrOqMoCFQ6Sfgod5vwKrA
0 Replies